stretching at the end

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

nasticsISlove 72

at the end of your gymnastics class do you have a stretch at the end? because we dont..and we have just gotten a new conditioning plan and we did a lot of more leg work. and everyone was sore for the whole rest of the class. even the level 8's were sore. one of the level 8's is my sisters best friend, and shes is really strong and even she had a hard problem walking because of the leg pain. for me, i could bearly walk for the next two days after it. i had my friends basicly carry me up and down the stairs at school.

does your gyms have a stretch at the end?

You certainly should be doing some stretching at the end of practice. Doesn't have to be 30 minutes worth, but some good stretches of your arms/shoulders, legs and back should be done everyday. Would that have prevented the very sore legs from a new conditioning program? It might have decreased the soreness some, but it wouldn't prevent it. If the coaches are upping the strength work, they should make sure you are stretching out too. Are you doing stretches before the conditioning?

I agree. You should definitely be stretching. Even if your coach won't take the time out for the whole group, individuals can be stretching on their own.

after every conditioning station we do we dont really have time to stretch in between. once we are done we go to the next one. we do conditioning for the first hour.
the one she makes us stretch after is ab's which i never really have had a pain after it.

what i just noticed is that the we [5's 6's 7's and 8's] all do the same conditioning... which is kinda weird. level 5's doing the same conditioning as the level 8's..??

also once we finish our last rotation and are getting ready to leave, the start shutting off the lights. so we dont have anytime to stretch at the end at the gym. and by the time i get home my muscles are all tight.

We do a lot of our conditioning towards the end of class but if we do condition during class we don't do a lot. We stretch afterwords if we did a lot of strength. For us, it really depends on what we did in class or what the coach wants to do. Our coaches ask if we think we need to stretch too!

A typical practice for my daughter is 20-30 minutes of strength to start practice--they also incorporate some basic stretches between stations. Then 3 hours of practice on skills with about 10 minutes of stretching at the end. Some of the stretches are done individually, some they have a partner for. Being basically thrown out of the gym at the end of practice may be an issue parents need to bring up. I would still try and do some stretches once you are home even though you feel tight---just don't push them too hard.

I don't know what conditioning the L5/L6s do, but all the optional girls tend to do the same strength.

Stretching at the end of practice is a great time to really work flexibility. Your muscles are warm and even if you have conditioned hard during practice and feel tight when you start it will feel much looser when you leave. We had changed our practice to include a strength and endurance warm up with light stretching, and focus on flexibility at the end, before I left our old gym. Its amazing too when how much less talking there is doing it at the end, because the girls have now spent hours together and are tired.

It looks like everyone has pretty much covered it all. Stretching is always a great way to end the workout, even if you can only do it for 5-10 minutes. As far as sore muscles, one of the best ways to get rid of them is to keep using them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back