Welcome to our Gymnastics Discussion Community
555,589 messages... 44,515 topics... and 6,778 members
Join for FREE!
Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts!

Struggling in the Stands - by Linda McDonald

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you order the book, please let Linda know that The Chalk Bucket sent you.

Judge Linda McDonald has written a great new book titled "Struggling in the Stands". "Struggling in the Stands" is a parents guide to judging compulsory gymnastics. I know this is the exact book that many of you have been looking for.

To order "Struggling in the Stands", check out Linda's website....Gym Judge Linda.

I have known Linda McDonald for many years and would recommend this book to anyone. Below is a little more about Linda, in her own words:

I have been involved in the great sport of gymnastics for over 40 years. As a member of the Green Bay YMCA and Georgia College gymnastics teams, I won many state championships and was nationally ranked. I spent my summers away from home training with Hungarian coach Geza Martiny. I received a scholarship to Georgia College where Geza was the head coach. Throughout my gymnastics career I competed in eight National Championships.

My first sport was not gymnastics. My parents were professional ice skaters. I started skating as soon as I could walk.

My second sport was synchronized swimming. When I entered school, my mom took a job with the Green Bay YMCA and started a water ballet club. I performed in my first show, a solo number, at the age of five. I went on to become a state and regional champion. I had the opportunity to participate in many sports. Besides gymnastics and synchronized swimming, I also competed in speed swimming, diving, played softball, volleyball and was a National Champion on the YMCA Athletic Achievement Team. I also studied dance, jazz, tap, and ballet, and was a member of a performing dance troupe.

I am very thankful to may parents for exposing me to so many different sports. Gymnastics is where I eventually focused all my time and energy. I credit my parents, Roy and Lois McDonald, for allowing me to zero in on my passion, not theirs, gymnastics.

I became a judge on Coach Martiny's recommendation. While at Georgia College, I took a judging course, passed the test, and began my judging career in 1978. I continued to work my way up the judging ranks, reaching the national level.

Judging has been a wonderful way for me to stay involved in the sport I love. Becoming a judge was the best decision I ever made for myself. Judging has not only kept me involved with my sport, but also has provided me with a variety of wonderful opportunities and lifelong friendships. I cant imagine my life without gymnastics.

The three greatest influences in my life have been my mother, my father, and my coach.

Attachments

• strugglinginthestands.jpg
    strugglinginthestands.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 31,113
Status
Not open for further replies.