Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts & High 5 Meets!

Struggling in the Stands - by Linda McDonald

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBS

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Sep 3, 2005
Wisconsin
Country
USA
If you order the book, please let Linda know that The Chalk Bucket sent you.

Judge Linda McDonald has written a great new book titled "Struggling in the Stands". "Struggling in the Stands" is a parents guide to judging compulsory gymnastics. I know this is the exact book that many of you have been looking for.

To order "Struggling in the Stands", check out Linda's website....Gym Judge Linda.

I have known Linda McDonald for many years and would recommend this book to anyone. Below is a little more about Linda, in her own words:

I have been involved in the great sport of gymnastics for over 40 years. As a member of the Green Bay YMCA and Georgia College gymnastics teams, I won many state championships and was nationally ranked. I spent my summers away from home training with Hungarian coach Geza Martiny. I received a scholarship to Georgia College where Geza was the head coach. Throughout my gymnastics career I competed in eight National Championships.

My first sport was not gymnastics. My parents were professional ice skaters. I started skating as soon as I could walk.

My second sport was synchronized swimming. When I entered school, my mom took a job with the Green Bay YMCA and started a water ballet club. I performed in my first show, a solo number, at the age of five. I went on to become a state and regional champion. I had the opportunity to participate in many sports. Besides gymnastics and synchronized swimming, I also competed in speed swimming, diving, played softball, volleyball and was a National Champion on the YMCA Athletic Achievement Team. I also studied dance, jazz, tap, and ballet, and was a member of a performing dance troupe.

I am very thankful to may parents for exposing me to so many different sports. Gymnastics is where I eventually focused all my time and energy. I credit my parents, Roy and Lois McDonald, for allowing me to zero in on my passion, not theirs, gymnastics.

I became a judge on Coach Martiny's recommendation. While at Georgia College, I took a judging course, passed the test, and began my judging career in 1978. I continued to work my way up the judging ranks, reaching the national level.

Judging has been a wonderful way for me to stay involved in the sport I love. Becoming a judge was the best decision I ever made for myself. Judging has not only kept me involved with my sport, but also has provided me with a variety of wonderful opportunities and lifelong friendships. I cant imagine my life without gymnastics.

The three greatest influences in my life have been my mother, my father, and my coach.

Attachments

• strugglinginthestands.jpg
    strugglinginthestands.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 31,113
Status
Not open for further replies.