Stuck! Bars-please help.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So... about two years ago I pulled in doing a layout flyaway on bars and landed half way on the landing mat severely breaking my ankle. While taking time off and just doing bars to allow my left ankle to heal I fell and tore several ligament in my right ankle. I ended up having to have surgery on both of them about 6 months ago.:(

So.... I have been working double flys into a pit for a few months now... and all the sudden a few days ago I freak out and am terrified of the flyaway all over again. I keep letting go early making layouts bad and doubles impossible! I thought I was over my fear and now I'm scared to do it right even into a pit! It's a pit I cant even get hurt! :confused: I don't know what to do! Any advice welcome!
Thanks.:)

wow. You've had a pretty rough time!
Don't worry, the exact same thing happened to me... except i didn't break anything.
I was totally scared of flyaways for a while and it really frustrated me because i didn't know how i got scared of it. But what i did, was I got my coach to stand and spot me, it took a couple of trys to get going but I did it eventualy. I was letting go of the bar to early as well, so i asked my coach to say go when i should let go of the bar. it worked for me and i hope this works for you.
good luck!

i have done something similar. i had been doing flyaways for a year and then i messed up a couple time and hit my toes on the bar cause i pulled and didnt push. ive tried doing them but its really hard cause of the mental block. you honestly just have to do it and have a coach there to tell you when until you get back into the groove again. good luck

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back