Subjects for gymnastics and other questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Do you have to study to be an elite gymnast? What subjects do you have to study/have(grade 11,12 and university)?

How much money does an elite gymnast get and how do they make it?

PLEASE ANSWER!!!! The internet isn't helping!!
Please Answer Soon As Possible!!!(like, today)

AS we do not have many people here from SOuth Africa I suggest you ask you gymnastics federation. The path to elite is not the same world over.

Elites do not get paid.

In North America you go to a gym to learn to be elite, education is a matter for parents to decide.

thanx this helps a lot.

I'm doing an assignment on what i want to be one day, so this was for the assignment.
I need to ask a few more questions...

Is being an olympic gymnast a job?(can it at least be seen as a job?)
Of the information I could find on the internet, it said that , depending on what country you're representing, the country pays olympic gymnasts for every medal they win at the olympics. Is this true? Are there other ways for an olympic gymnast to make money (and how much)?
Just checking, is there no subjects whatsoever (no school subjects, no university subjects, etc.???) needed to be a gymnast? Which basically means I just go to an university and train gymnastics there....?

Wish me luck with this assignment(and, again, reply as soon as possible!!!)
thanx

wow!! you have no idea how much this helped me!!!
In South Africa's currency that's a lot of money.

If i get a good mark for the assignment i owe you all one....i got the most info from this site!!
thanx again!!

I found a little more info for you on medal bonuses:

Canadian Olympic Medal Bonuses: List of Bonuses For Athletes | NowPublic News Coverage

Re Performance Bonus Payments for Olympic Medals

I know so little about South Africa, but in the US, being an elite gymnast is not a job and you don't get paid. Most have corporate sponsorships to defray training costs and if you are very good (and frankly kind of pretty), you can get endorsement deals for a good deal more.

Many US elite gymnasts (although certainly not all) go to University, but thier course of study is not dictated by gymnastics. Many study Business in hopes of one day owning a gym or Broadcast Journalism.

i don't wanna sound stupid, but, what poster?

You, coming back and saying thank you :)

Being a gymnast isn't a job, and you don't get paid. You don't need any school exams, or even to read or write, frankly (although obviously that's not a good idea, and won't help if you can't read rules, scores etc.), all you need is to be good at gymnastics.

To make money you really need to be so good you're famous- so olympic level. Then after you finish gymnastics you may coach, or commentate on TV, or travel speaking at conferences. When you are training there are some funding streams, here in the UK, for example, there are grants paid to athletes so they can train at top level without needing to hold down a job too. You need to be national level really for those too though.

thanx 4 all the info everyone!!

I'm 13 years old and in level 5. But that's probably nothing, cos when I went on youtube and watched videos for level 5 (the USA videos) I was like : OH MY WORD!!! I can't even do that yet...!!!
So, technically SA is REALLY behind in gymnastics. Which kind of sucks because there are a whole few talented gymnasts here...from what I see of the higher level gymnasts in our club and at other competitions.

Another thing that sucks about SA is that the freakin government doesn't support the gymnastics like they used when my mother was in school.

My neighbour says that South Africa does pay money for the Olympians....so that's one good thing.

question: what do the gymnasts do in level 5 gymnastics in the other countries? I'm really curious...

Australia Level 5

Floor
Round off flic (often round off flic sault)
Front sault
Backward roll to front support or handstand (depending on competition)
Jump full turn
full turn
split change leap, split leap connected

Beam:
Handstand straight jump
SPlit leap
Split jump straight jump
back walkover, cartwheel or forward walkover
full turn
front tuck or cartwheel straight jump dismount

Bars
Kip cast
Back hip circle
tuck on
Jump to highbar
long kip cast
toe shoot or underswing dismount

Vault: Handspring

just for the fun of it....what did you all want to be when you were 9 years old?
I wanted to be a president!!! lol!!!

oh, and by the way...there is this talent show at the end of the term at our school...Mikro's Got Talent.

I want to do gymnastics (like a floor routine) . The past two years there was this one girl who did (she did artistic gymnastics with me when we were small) the one year rythmic gymnastics and the other aerobics.

So I want to do a gymnastics floor routine.

I've got the music and all I need to do is put the steps together.

Here's what I want to put in the routine:

handstand
handspring(if I don't land on my bum)
round off
cartwheel
dive cartwheel
one-hand cartwheel
walkover
right leg split(I'm flat in that one-left leg...almost..middle...20 cm to go)
sisone(or however you spell it)
wolf jump
straddle jump
tuck jump
balance stand(the one where you hold your foot next to your head-not sure what you call it)

this is basically what I want to do...if you got any ideas just post it.
Oh, and the music is David Garrett-
Rock Symphonies-Smells like teen spirit.

:)

That topic has been brought up a lot. Do a search.

A straight forward solution is practicing them a lot. Do them sometimes for a long time (2-5 minutes) and other times do them for 10-30 seconds. If you do them for a short period of time, do them with some intensity (don't kill your muscles but push yourself accordingly).

For middle splits, wall splits with weight on ankles and froggie splits (middle splits on the knees).

tomorrow is the auditions for the talent show.....!!!!!!
WISH ME LUCK!!!!

thanx for all the help so far.....I really appreciate it.

Happy holidays!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back