MAG Suggestions for arm pads/wrist guards?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Hey everyone! DS (age 10-level 6) has been having some wrist pain over the past several weeks....there was no injury, and it's not bad pain, just the kind where I catch him rubbing or shaking his wrists....his coach suggested getting him wrist guards, which I will do....any good suggestions on where to get them and what kind? Also, is there any concern of an actual injury here? Or does he maybe just need the guards to give him some extra support? (it's not enough to make him not want to practice, just an annoyance I guess)

Also, he has issues with burns from the parallel bars on his upper arms (and armpits...ouch!)....I've seen some kids with pads for the upper arms but haven't had any luck finding any....he's been just pushing his wristies up, but I don't think that's the best solution. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Are his wrists sore just when he is training, or all the time?

Which apparatus is worse?

Pommel/mushroom usually causes some wrist discomfort, and this can have a flow on effect to floor.

I find most of the boys I coach shake their hands and complain about wrist discomfort after training pommel. The discomfort of this type is usually short lived, and they are fine after class.

When I started coaching upper arm swings on p/bars my DS started getting pinches and small bruises on the inside of his arms near his armpits.

I trialled Elbow support bands on my DS and they worked great. All the boys now have these. They come in small, medium and large. If they are too big for these (teenagers) then you can use knee support bands. The ones we use are properly sewn not the ones you cut to size. You can buy these in Australia at most chemists. Best to check with your DS coach whether it is ok to purchase something like this and whether there are any restrictions on these at comp.

I have found these also help with p/bar shoulder stands and rolls too.

He mostly complains after pommel, I will ask him if they hurt any other times....but I have seen him at home shaking his wrists randomly......

Thanks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back