Parents Suggestions for good gymnastic psychology information sources?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Bug's mom

Proud Parent
In our mid-term coach/parent interview, dd's coach suggested we work on coping strategies. From a physical perspective, dd is on point in her pre-competitive program. She's scary focused, determined and driven. She couldn't take dance anymore at 5 because in her words, 'the girls aren't being serious enough'! She's also a perfectionist and her own worst enemy at times. Having just turned 8, she's a year younger (in some cases 2) than most teammates and gets super disappointed when she doesn't instantly get a skill or someone gets a skill first. She isn't jealous of someone else moving ahead of her, she gets super excited for them. But she does become genuinely disappointed in herself for not being there yet. So my homework assignment was to figure out how to manage her psyche. I bought and read 'Gymnastics Psychology: The Ultimate Guide for Coaches, Gymnasts and Parents'. I found it super helpful in understanding why dd is how she is. I thought it fell a bit short of providing parents with tools to help support that kind of personality. Any suggestions on sports psychology resources, especially gymnastics based ones?

I honestly don't think this is a reason to start buying psychology books and resources.
How many of us have driven, focused, perfectionist children? It's rarely about others. It's the mental struggle.

You know what has really helped DD grow as a gymnast and a person? Failure. Falling.
Most importantly, shes learning that she's not letting anyone down if she's not "the first" or "the best."

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back