Parents Suggestions for Late Night Meet Session?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Eagleperson

Proud Parent
My daughter has a meet this weekend and her session starts at 7 pm. She's 10 and is usually in bed by 8:45 and asleep by 9:15 at the latest. So far all of her meet sessions, this season and last, have been in the mornings or afternoons.

I am looking for suggestions on how to keep her fresh (for lack of a better term) until she heads to the meet at 6:00 pm or so. I feel like if she sits around she'll have low energy but if I keep her busy she'll be worn out.

Ideas from the more experienced parents/coaches? What kind of days do you try to create before a late session?

Thanks!!

I have yet to experience this but I would think the adrenaline would get flowing and may not be an issue. Maybe watch a movie at home? Theaters are dark and kind of take it out of you. Specially when u sit and eat popcorn for 2 hrs+.

Good luck

I have yet to experience this but I would think the adrenaline would get flowing and may not be an issue. Maybe watch a movie at home? Theaters are dark and kind of take it out of you. Specially when u sit and eat popcorn for 2 hrs+....Good luck

Adrenaline.... that's the ticket!!!

I have yet to experience this but I would think the adrenaline would get flowing and may not be an issue. Maybe watch a movie at home? Theaters are dark and kind of take it out of you. Specially when u sit and eat popcorn for 2 hrs+.

Good luck
I have been thinking that adrenaline is going to be key! And, probably I am over-thinking things. Evening/night sessions are the nature of the beast---it is just the first for her. There are these short movies they play at the museum here: maybe that will be a good middle ground.

Maybe play a board game for some engaging but mellow time during the day. Then suggest some alone/reading time afterwards.

Our first one of these was states! Adrenaline definitely kept her going -- long past the end of the meet actually. I was still actively trying to get her calm enough for bed at midnight, after leaving the meet at about 11. Our coach very nicely made afternoon practice "optional" that day. Really -- a three hour work out and then a four hour meet!??!?!? Our biggest issue was less activity level and more food. We settled on a "sleep in" morning with brunch, then a regular afternoon (she did NOT go to practice) playing with a friend and an early dinner around 4:30 or so. It worked out, but I must say that I'm glad we haven't had many of these. She was fine -- I was desperately trying to stay awake through the awards!

Our first one of these was states! Adrenaline definitely kept her going -- long past the end of the meet actually. I was still actively trying to get her calm enough for bed at midnight, after leaving the meet at about 11. Our coach very nicely made afternoon practice "optional" that day. Really -- a three hour work out and then a four hour meet!??!?!? Our biggest issue was less activity level and more food. We settled on a "sleep in" morning with brunch, then a regular afternoon (she did NOT go to practice) playing with a friend and an early dinner around 4:30 or so. It worked out, but I must say that I'm glad we haven't had many of these. She was fine -- I was desperately trying to stay awake through the awards!

Not being able to shut down for sleep afterwards is probably going to be the reality! Though, like you I will most likely be fading before the end of awards. She won't have usual practice that afternoon because other team members are in other sessions and her coach also coaches another level and some of them are competing earlier in the day.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back