Parents Suggestions for shorts to protect from bars? (newbie mom)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ElizaBrooke

Proud Parent
Hi there,

Newbie mom here. Can you suggest what kind of shorts I should get for my daughter to protect her upper thighs on the bars? She's been complaining about how the bars rub against her thighs and make them hurt. Her coach suggested shorts. I got her cotton biker shorts to wear over her leotard, but my daughter tried them and said they're too thin and don't help her feel better. Is this just a part of getting used to being on the bars, or are there some good shorts out there to help protect her from the rubbing she's experiencing? I've seen the GK Elite velvet shorts, but was wondering if there's any cheaper or better alternatives, too? Thanks!! :)

Agree with iwannacoach - dd used to complain about bars rubbing, hurting, pinching, too cold, too slippery, not slippery enough, too chalky and so on... never hear it now. She sometimes wears shorts for bars, sometimes doesn't - don't honestly think the shorts made much difference.

My dd wears shorts for bars (training) but I don't really think they make a huge amount of difference - they do tend to get used to it.

Sometimes after a particularly long session of say upstart hand stands, she develops a rather unpleasant bruise in a rather delicate area (not hips!) and when that's really bad a strategically placed piece of foam helps.

Yeah, most leo brands will have them - they are usually called "bar shorts". But ditto everyone else. They get used to it. At our gym the girls generally aren't even allowed to wear shorts.

My DD actually always takes her shorts off for bars- she says they make it harder for her to do. She got used to the rubbing/bruising pretty quickly and it really isn't an issue anymore.

Thanks so much for the feedback!! Dd says she's going to try and see if she can "tough it out" on the bars without the shorts after all (after I read her your posts!). If she can't, we'll go for some velvet ones (maybe not GK, unless I can find them for cheap on Ebay, too!). :)

Thanks so much for the feedback!! Dd says she's going to try and see if she can "tough it out" on the bars without the shorts after all (after I read her your posts!). If she can't, we'll go for some velvet ones (maybe not GK, unless I can find them for cheap on Ebay, too!). :)

Do you have any consignment stores near you? We've had a lot of luck finding leos and shorts at our local consignment store (which is a HUGE problem b/c DD knows I always have a credit there so it's hard for me to say "no" to free leos....but I digress :) )

Honestly, it looks like the bars would really rub, and I asked my daughter once, and she said that it didn't hurt. I think it is something they get used to...

At our gym I think that it is pretty much so that the kids are comfortable in leos and not feeling self conscious at a meet.

oh, and also so that they are used to the feel of no shorts on the bar. If they always wear shorts in practice, then it would be a change at competition.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back