Suggestions?? MAG drills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anasha29

Hey yal, our club recently started a boys preteam and even though I am a former gymnast I know nothing about boys events!

With that being said, I need mushroom drills!

Thanks,
Anasha-Shawnee, KS
progress.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as you understand the basic idea of circles, there are no secrets; the boys just need to do about a million circles. Constantly remind them to keep their body straight, lifting their hips up in front and their heels up in back. The goal is to lead with the hips, not the feet. The natural tendancy is to pike; I tell my boys to aim for a slight arch during their circles to counteract this tendancy.

When they're just learning, watch which direction they fall; whichever way they fell, tell them to lean the opposite way on the next attempt.

Once they understand all this, it's just repetition, repetition, repetition.

DrillsAndSkills.com :: Search enter mushroom into search field. lots of threads.

simply, upper body strength, lots of numbers, lots of bucket circles. lots of shaping drills.

gymnasticbodies.com also has very good threads with Coach Sommer commenting about circles as well as a fella named Gregor.

The old bucket works miracles.

Let me know if you don't know about the bucket... I can help.

I have found the bucket works really well. They all seem to think this is a lot of fun too.

When I went to recent coaching course they had a home made set up, for the bucket.

I am not sure if this is what everyone else uses or you can buy something from a gym shop.

I bought a large bucket (nappy bucket size). Drilled two holes, one near the rim and the other near the base. Bought a tie down type rope (from hardware store) where you can adjust the length. Threaded the rope through the holes and hung if from one of the the metal supports used in the boxing room.

The guys put their feet in and swing around with same principle as mushroom.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back