Parents Suggestions to help a tired gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lilou

Proud Parent
My daughter recently came back to artistic gymnastics after about a 5 month break (did T&T during this time). The gym is giving her the month to see how she builds her strength and stamina to then join their artistic team. She just turned 8 and is excited to do artistic again but she gets discouraged that she's getting really tired by the end of her 4.5 hour practices. I told her to be patient with herself and it will get easier the more she does it. But patience in an 8 year old, who wants to do everything she did before easily, is not her strong suit. She says, "it's tiring..." which of course it is. I told her she's to go the month and then afterwards we can talk and figure out what to do. She doesn't want to quit gymnastics but I think she doesn't get that she has to be patient with getting back into better shape. Any tips on helping her better understand it will take time, and physically be patient with herself?

4.5 hours is a very long practice for an 8 year old. Research shows that when practice goes longer than 3.5 hours then the rate of injury is significantly higher for the part of training after the the 3.5 hour mark.

Can you chat to the coach about her working shorter sessions, while her body adjusts to the new training regime? The training may also be more intense than what she is used too.

Of course great diet, drinking plenty of water and getting adequate sleep is also essential to her success here. Is she able to get addequate sleep based on the time she finishes at night and the time she has to get up for school in the morning?

Do you send her to gym with snacks? A combination of long acting carbs and protein is great.

4.5 hours is way too long for an 8 year old. Heck, the L9/L10s at my DD's gym don't even train for long on a single day. I seem to recall that you've posted before about some troubles at your DD's gym. Did you recently switch gyms or is this a new gym for your DD? Are the 4.5 hour practices during the summer only? Does the practice schedule change for the school year? Honestly, I just can't imagine a situation where I'd be OK with my young compulsory gymnast training 4.5 hours/day.

That is a long practice. My level 10 son only does at most 4 hours a practice. He gets tired from that length of practice. He has found gator aid and a small snack helps. He takes pretzels because it is easy to quickly grab a few at water breaks. As to helping her understand that it takes time to get back into gymnastics shape, making it more concrete helps. How long did it take her to learn a pullover? But it vecabeveasy. (Or whatever skill you think is a good example) well now her body is regaining strength and relearning a lot of skills. They will get easier again too.

I agree that it is just too long a practice. Gymnastics practice is both physically and mentally challenging and 4.5 hours is far to long to expect 8 year olds to maintain appropriate mental focus, let alone the physical challenge.

Generally speaking, for tiredness here is what has helped us:
I am a stickler about bedtimes. Kids and teens require 10 hours of sleep every night. At least 10. Some need 11 or 12.
Frequent, reasonably healthy and balanced meals/snacks. My kids eat at least 5 times every day.
Hydration, hydration, hydration.

My daughter just turned 8 and was supposed to do 4 hours/day (7:30am-11:30am) Mon-Thurs for summer. I made arrangements with the gym to pick her up an hour early because I start work at 11, and even then, my kid is exhausted. By Thursday she is sore and cranky. There’s no way she could do 4.5 hours/day.

Sometimes more hours doesn’t mean better. It depends how efficient training is run. I don’t think 4.5 hour practices are productive for younger/compulsory kids.

I do agree that 4.5 hours is too long but this is what seems to be the summer training hours, hopefully it will decrease during the school year (but I think that means to 4 hours). The 4.5 hr practices are twice a week, then a 3 hour practice on a 3rd day. The girls do get a 15-20 minute snack/water break and I think I should pack her more protein/carb snacks. She is getting enough sleep and rest, and has no camps or anything else going on during the day this summer. I could potentially talk to the coach about having her do shorter practices at first... could be an option just hope they don't interpret that as saying, "she's not ready for our team."
Thank you for your input, especially on breaking down in concrete ways to help her understand it takes time to come back with all of her skills.

Our area is very competitive and thankfully that means there are a handful of gym options within an hour away, but most of them are pretty tough and have long practices (I have parent friends whose kids are at other gyms). 4 hour practices for compulsory levels seem to be the norm. :/

duyetanh- this is the not the gym that mistreated her. this is the original gym, our first gym. We will never step foot in the gym that nearly drove her at age 7 from the sport and mistreated her. Our original gym, despite having issues with them originally that led to us leaving, has been very fair so far and understanding. I've also learned a lot as a new gym parent last year and learned to trust the coaches more as they see things in the gym that we, parents, don't see. They want our kids to succeed too. :)

My son's training group does 5 hour practices 4 days a week. They get a 20 minute break in the middle and they have a snack. This helps trememdously! Do the girls get a break in there? Maybe make sure she has a good snack that will get her through, in addition to the other things mentioned above.

My Daughter gym does 5 hours practices 8-1pm. They get maybe 5-10 minute break tops. Seriously fill her with complex carbs for breakfast and during the snack at practice. Protein after practice.

Well, I will say thats good if shes tired. It means shes working hard.
She will get used to it. Try not to 'worry' (kids pick up on this and automatically will assume its bad). its summer practice and i know our gym is really getting them ready for the season and they are tired.
8 is young but nothing crazy. If shes like a zombie then give her a day off......
I cant tell you weather its too much, or not, but its what i would do.

I agree with Aussie Coach, that more than 3.5 hours is not productive.
This is why our practices are not more than 3 hours. Even on camp days they are not practicing more than 3 hours without down time.

And all that said. The first week of summer camp kicks her butt. She naps after practice, until she gets in her groove. And mine is 12

Any tips on helping her better understand it will take time, and physically be patient with herself?

Time. She will get it as she gets to the other side and as she matures. The lesson is in doing it.

I tend to choose snacks that are a combination of quick energy (like an applesauce pouch) and longer term energy (complex carb). Make sure she has something similar in the morning too. Protein is for afterward. Until she's caught up a bit, perhaps limit other high energy activities. (So maybe that trip to the pool is just an hour, not 3.. that kind of thing.) After that, I'd just remind her that the tired is necessary. It's how her body knows it needs to work harder and make her stronger. Good luck :)

Thanks everyone. She's slowly starting to get into the routine again. Still requires reminders of patience and it's harder for her to keep her attention going for 4.5hrs but we're taking it one day at a time. So much in gymnastics for our kids to learn, aside from skills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back