Summer Camp

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DDs went to a morning gymnastics camp this summer and loved it! It wasn't at our local gym and was more play than gymnastics but they had a ball and are already talking about wanting to go to another camp next summer.

This has got DH and I thinking. We live away from family and don't get much time to ourselves. We were thinking it might be fun to go somewhere with a high quality gymnastics camp that would give the girls a few hours a day to do something really fun (and give us a little time for ourselves).

Do you have any suggestions? DD's will be a little over 5 this time next year.

What do you mean by high quality gymnastics camp? One of the big overnight camps like IGC, Woodward? Some colleges have gymnastics camps that offer the option of being a commuter or staying in the dorm. Most of these camps want the child to be at least 7. Some of the day only camps will take younger ones.

Right now, I would say save your money on a name camp until little one is actually on a team. Most camps are hundreds of dollars and 5yo just don't have the attention span to last for 4-5 days of 4 or more hours of practice.

Sounds like what you did this year was a success, so maybe plan on it again next year or look at other gyms around you for camps they might be having.

Sorry .... I should have been more clear. I wasn't looking for anything near the level of woodward of igc. I just hoping to find a place where they could look forward to doing gymnastics for just a few hours in the morning that is age appropriate.

Ideally, this gym would be near a great vacation destination (beaches, mountains, etc) and also have quality gymnastics instruction and play versus a design of mostly play. This would give them something to look forward to in the morning before we do other fun outings as a family in the afternoon.

If you really want to go on a serious holiday, come to Barbados! Our gym always has a summer day camp, with drop off from as early as 8 a.m. (though you can drop off later), and pick up is 2.30 p.m. Morning is for gymnastics stuff, and every afternoon they do a different activity, which they travel to by hired bus. They visit historic places, parks, horseback riding, beaches, the pool etc. They also take kids by the day i.e. you don't have to do the whole week. Weekly fees run from about US$90 - $130, depending on what the planned activity is that week and how much it costs the gym to organize. This doesn't include any food or drinks - you send a packed lunch.

The camp usually runs during Christmas and Easter holidays as well. At Christmas that would usually be from around December 15 - 23, and in Easter it would be whenever the school holidays are in the weeks before and after Easter itself.

Yes, it's far (and expensive!) .... but you said you wanted a holiday destination ..... :)

Most clubs run summer camps that are open to everyne. FInd an area you and hubby think will be fun for a trip, that also has good family accomodation and sign them up for a weeks worth of fun.

Most clubs run summer camps that are open to everyne. FInd an area you and hubby think will be fun for a trip, that also has good family accomodation and sign them up for a weeks worth of fun.

ITA with Bog. Narrow down a few destinations for vacation and then check nearby gyms. Quite a few gyms do some type of summer camps especially for the lower level/rec kids.

Thanks... we are a long time away so as we get closer and narrow our choices, I'll check back in for local advice. I just thought if someone knew of a great camp near a vacation destination that might swing us in one direction or another as right now we are totally open.

Barbados does sound great :)

Love your idea about a gym summer camp near a great vacation spot!

We live in NJ and our daughter (age 4) spent 2 weeks (M-F) at gymnastics camp (9 am-1 pm). She had a blast and her skills really improved. The first hour was dedicated to gymnastics, then snack time...outside play...snack, then dance...lunch...more play and then pick up. I think a lot of the play was focused on increasing body awareness.

Good luck!
Julia

Some of the girls from our team did that this year. Their families went on vacation in Myrtle Beach and the girls went to camp at Gymnastics and More in Northern Myrtle Beach part of the day. They seemed to have a great time. I bet many gyms that are close to a vacation destination offer something similar.

We are near a big tourist resort and we get many kids in our summer camp who come from far away. Our gym kids love it and the kids who come seem to return year after year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back