Parents Summer camps

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mom2kazkids

Proud Parent
OK I am officially sick of winter and want to start thinkning of summer, where and when are your gymmies going to camp.

It is looking like Bug and I are heading to Lake Owen week 8.

Barb

My DD really wants to do the Sun Devils Summer Camp, but financially we probably won't be able to unless things majorly change between now and then and if there are still spots open. She had so much fun at their 3 day camp.

Sounds like you guys will have a blast! I might have to use my nurse skills to find a camp job and go with her to one of those away camps someday! That is so cool! I know I couldn't send her away alone. :D Hope everyone has a blast at summer camp and can't wait to start hearing all the camp stories!

Week 3 of IGC, first time to a US camp. The brochures arrived yesterday and the girls cannot wait to go it looks awesome.

Week 5 of Gymrep in Quebec, they go every year.

DD will be going to IGC week 2 again, for the 4th year. She got a prepaid cell phone for Christmas and used almost 80 minutes in the first two days! I told her if she keeps it up, no camp. She is now much more careful, because she says no way is she missing camp. When they have gone for 5 years, they get a sweatshirt. She says she cannot wait. Of course that sweatshirt is going to cost me . . . wait, I don't want to think about it! But she does truly love meeting new people.

IGC Week 9 with Nastia. Its her 2nd year going there. We picked the last week so she can have the summer to learn her new skills at her gym. Of course, the Nastia week was a must.

Camp is so much fun!! I am a coach as well as a parent so I went last year even though dd wasn't old enough. But I know that we found some camps that were willing to give gymmies half price if a parent went as a chaperone. The camp we went to was Huskers Gymnastics camp and they did not offer this but I know others I check into had this option. I'm not sure if there is one in your area but you might check into it. We also did fundraising so that the booster club could cover about half of the cost. Smaller camps might be a better option money wise if that is what is stopping you.

Looks like the girls from our gym that want to go(and my gymmie is right at the top) will be at Lake Owen the 2nd week again. If the plane was leaving tomorrow, she'd be packed and on it. Can't wait to get back there!

Help with summer camp

My DD will be 6 the end of June. She is competing AAU 3 currently and will be training AAU4 by summer. she is too young to do over-night camps and I am not ready to leave her over night yet!! LOL
we are in Georgia. We are looking for a really good competitive day camp. We are willing to travel to FL, SC, NC, or AL. My parents are taking us in their motorhome and paying for the camp for DD's bday gift! that's what she asked for, sounds weird to me but all she wants is CAMP!!!
Anyone have any ideas! my parents would prefer to be near beach so they can relax will DD practices.
I am considering Orlando Metro day camp. About a 35 mile drive from beach!
ANY SUGGESTIONS???
thanks!!!
amy

My DD will be 6 the end of June. She is competing AAU 3 currently and will be training AAU4 by summer. she is too young to do over-night camps and I am not ready to leave her over night yet!! LOL
we are in Georgia. We are looking for a really good competitive day camp. We are willing to travel to FL, SC, NC, or AL. My parents are taking us in their motorhome and paying for the camp for DD's bday gift! that's what she asked for, sounds weird to me but all she wants is CAMP!!!
Anyone have any ideas! my parents would prefer to be near beach so they can relax will DD practices.
ANY SUGGESTIONS???
thanks!!!
amy

Also check out colleges with women's teams. Many have week long camps and there is the option of just a day camp or staying in the dorms

we are near Athens so we could do the gymDog camp! I need advice! is it ok to go to a "collegiate camp" or is Ab's better to go to a "gym club camp"? Will college camps coaches know the lower level routines, etc. Do they usually bring in coaches that know the lower levels? I am knew to this gym Mom things so sorry if I sound uneducated. I am needing to get the best bang for my buck! ya'll know how the economy is right now! any additional advice is greatly appreciated!!
AMY

AmyCollins,

Abby went to a camp at a university over Christmas break. They also offer a summer camp that is day only. I do not think that most coaches there will know compulsory routines. They did break them up by level they were training/competing and worked on the skills in that level and the one up from it. No routines were done at all, but my almost 6 1/2 year old had sooooooo much fun. She got to try new skills, work on current ones and make new friends. :D

DD is going to Lake Owen this summer. I believe Week 9.

I will find out for sure. I hope this summer is better, she got put in a bad group last summer then got hurt... she still loves Owen and wants to go every year!

kristilyn,

I was going to put on my application that if they are in need for a nurse for week 9, that I would not mind staying over if I can get the time off of work. I know that one of last year's week 9 nurses came back after having been there for week 4, as they had a hole to fill.

Barb

ANY SUGGESTIONS???
thanks!!!
amy

My dd attended the University of Florida’s gymnastics camp last year as an 8-year-old. Gainesville is 74 miles from Crescent Beach, and is about a 2 hour drive. My dd loved it and is pushing to go again this year. She loved getting to know some of the gator gymnasts. She was getting ready to compete level 5, but only worked on her level 6 and higher skills. She learned a lot and really got excited about gymnastics again. They have daily contests and spirit building activities. They have a day camp option. It cost about the same as the overnight camp, but the camper gets to stay for everything except sleeping.

My dd attended the Twistars camp last year, and enjoyed it very much. She would like to go again this year. I like it because you have the option of a day camp, and it is completely structured. At 7, I don't think she is ready for one of the bigger camps that are more geared toward less structure. She is already talking about it, and ready to go :D

Can anyone help find a camp in the south? We live in Louisiana, so I am thinking Texas is our best bet. DD has some medical issues so I would prefer to stay with her but realize it may not be possible. I found one camp which allowed parents as "dorm moms" but when I called to get info, the number is disconnected!

The only other overnight camp I located was Bela Karolyi's Camp which I assume would be worthwhile, but not sure. The only camp I know of in-statef is LSU's FLying Tigers Camp but I am not sure that is the best place for her.

So, does anyone have any ideas? I am really interested in a camp where I could possibly stay as a dorm mom or such, but that is not a necessity. Shoot, I'd sweep floors and muck stalls if it meant staying close by! I am not a nurse so I don't have that option. Worst case scenario, DS and I will just stay nearby in a hotel and sight see!

BTW, DD feels the same way about having me near! She goes to asthma camp and asks me why I can't go with her!

AmyC---Most camps---college, gym hosted or private overnight don't really teach the routines for levels. They focus more on skills---the ones your dd should be doing and usually up a level depending on the girl. I wouldn't worry about having her at a college day camp and missing working on full routines. My gymmie went to an overnight camp last summer and just worked all 4 events(plus some tramp training). She really made progress on L8 skills she had been doing at her home gym.

Mom2GM--Most overnight camps have a minimum age, so you would have to check to see if your dd is old enough. The day camps(college type) would probably be more open to taking younger kids and also letting parents hang around if there is a concern about medical issues. There has been discussion here about Karolyis camp and there you drop the child off and really don't see them for a week. Also, Bela and Marta do not really do much coaching there----they bring in others for the day to day coaching.
If you want to work at the same camp as dd, get in touch with any camp you're interested in now. The parent slots fill up FAST! I would think that the LSU camp might be a good compromise for her 1st ever camp.

IGC Week 9 with Nastia. Its her 2nd year going there. We picked the last week so she can have the summer to learn her new skills at her gym. Of course, the Nastia week was a must.

gymmom, where did you read that Nastia will be there week 9? DD would love that and we have sent her at the end of each summer to work on skills before returning to her gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back