Summer gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well gymnastics is over for the summer for me (because i train out of a high school):( it's so depressing! i don't know how I'm going to live without it! and my parents are stubburn and probably won't let me do summer gymnastics (as usual). The closest club (with their own gym) is 30min away and my parents don't want to be committed to driving me. It sucks!!:(

Do any of you NOT do gymnastics over the summer?
Or how do your training hours change over the summer? Just curious.

It sucks for me not doing summer gymnastics. I try to do some conditioning over the summer but I still get out of shape and have to spend the first half of the next season getting back into shape and getting my confidence in all my skills back.

Sad! I'm kinda the opposite. None of the high schools in my district have a gymnastics team and I switch from six to nine hours of gymnastics in the summer. And 3.5 hours of cheer to twelve hours but thats because I joined a comp squad (I must be out of my mind...) I also work as a waitress= ~7 miles per shift

Summer schedule in my gym is 9am-noon Mon Wed Fri and 5pm-8pm Mon Wed and you come to any two/three practices you want

Wow, the whole summer without training, that must be very frustrating and a lot of hard work when you get back. But there are things you can do to stay in better shape. Are there other types of classes you can take that are closer to home like dance, swimming, joining a sporting team. Anything active like that will help keep you in shape.

For activities during the summer go for swims, trips to the beach if you live near by, bike riding, walks to the park, ice skating, rollar skating, rock climbing, bush walks and so on. Try to set some time aside at home each day for a basic program.
Include
Daily streching - all muscles, splits, walkovers and bridegs and some active flexibility like kicks.
Conditioning - write your self a conditioning program with things like hollow holds, push ups, sit ups and all the sorts of thinsg you do at the gym
Handstand work - the handstand is the most important basic in gymnastics and practising it over the summer will make a huge difference.

Wow, the whole summer without training, that must be very frustrating and a lot of hard work when you get back. But there are things you can do to stay in better shape. Are there other types of classes you can take that are closer to home like dance, swimming, joining a sporting team. Anything active like that will help keep you in shape.

For activities during the summer go for swims, trips to the beach if you live near by, bike riding, walks to the park, ice skating, rollar skating, rock climbing, bush walks and so on. Try to set some time aside at home each day for a basic program.
Include
Daily streching - all muscles, splits, walkovers and bridegs and some active flexibility like kicks.
Conditioning - write your self a conditioning program with things like hollow holds, push ups, sit ups and all the sorts of thinsg you do at the gym
Handstand work - the handstand is the most important basic in gymnastics and practising it over the summer will make a huge difference.

I live in the country and the closest town with anything (where my gym/highschool is) is 15minutes away and they don't have many sporting clubs (and my parents won't want to drive me) so I probably won't be able to do that but I will definitely work on conditioning and stretching over the summer!!!

and I'm REALLY trying to convince my mom to let me do some sort of summer gymnastics. Maybe like a week long camp or something. It's still not summer - long gymnastics, but it's something. Ugh i really hope she lets me.

Aw! That really stinks. Most clubs go more hours in the summer except mine only goes 8 in the summer from 9.5 in the season. We still have 2 more meets though so we aren't working new tricks yet

Could you maybe do open gym once a week just so you don't have such a long mental and physical re-learning period in the fall?

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you maybe do open gym once a week just so you don't have such a long mental and physical re-learning period in the fall?

Open gym would be really cool. I actually never thought of that, I'm not sure if the gym closest to me has open gym but I will call and see. I don't think so though :( but you never know. and i probably could only go maybe 2 times a month, cause my parents don't want to drive me.

Another question...how mush does open gym normally cost?

I was looking at camps this gym offered and there was one where you can go for 1/2 day or full day whenever you want, you just have to give 2 days notice or something. Which I guess is like open gym and would be awesome. The only thing is it's supposed to be for rec kids :( haha...but, Ok this is a long story..basically my teammates did a rec camp at this gym before but they were still allowed and could basically do whatever they wanted!
The only thing is I would want to bring a friend..so hopefully someone would want to do it with me...
Thanks for everyone's help

I should be working out this summer but I haven't in the last three weeks. I don't really know what I'm going to do. I need to decide anyway whether I want to compete gymnastics at all next year, move to cheer, or just play around. I'm thinking the third sounds good :)

Thanks everyone!
I just found out so teammates are going to like a 4 day long camp thing. so hopefully i will be able to do that with them. plus some "open gym". It's not real open gym, same idea though, i think i explained before lol.

but NOW my foot hurts! ugh and it's been hurting for 3 weeks (ish) now so i really hope it gets better before any gymnastics! (i have foot/achelles [sp?]/heal issues :p) it sucks.

thanks again :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back