WAG Summer Universiade 2013!!!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yep, a girl from my daughters club is representing Canada. It's the first time we've had a girl from our province compete for our country on the international stage ( in gymnastics that is)

WOW, that is spectacular! Congratulations to your club, and I wish her the best of luck! Glad to know I’m not the only one on CB that will be watching. ;)

gymlover, it won’t be on TV in the USA, however I’m not sure about Canada…you should check your television listings.
There’s live streaming from this website: Home - FISU
On the webpage, there’s a register button for live streaming. It also mentions the times for each competition.
Enjoy!

Did the USA send anybody for gymnastics

I kind of thought that USA college age gymnasts are usually competing NCAA. The ones that turn pro don't usually go to college until they've retired from competitive elite. I get the impression that it's not that easy to switch back to elite after NCAA, if they were elite to start...

We don't have college scholarships and competitions, so many elites study part time around their gymnastics.

Faith, the Summer Universiade in Kazan, Russia is an International multisport event that lasts about 1.5 weeks. Technically university athletes are meant to compete, but everyone who competed in the gymnastics competition used to be second-tier elites/"burned out" elite gymnasts, so realistically it was not a major competition. This year, the level of some competitors is much higher (and the results are much more obvious), because 3 out of 5 girls on Team Russia are 2012 Olympians, and the other 2 girls could have easily been on the team.

To answer your question (sorry for the extra info), no one from the United States was sent for gymnastics, but if there was a team for the USA, all the girls would be elite. The reason for this is because the winners receive prize money, and NCAA athletes are not allowed to have sponsors or money for competing.

To answer your question (sorry for the extra info), no one from the United States was sent for gymnastics, but if there was a team for the USA, all the girls would be elite. The reason for this is because the winners receive prize money, and NCAA athletes are not allowed to have sponsors or money for competing.

So by that logic the USA aren't really going to have a team to field- which is sort of what I was trying to say. With the NCAA and college system, it's rare that an elite would also be at college? An elite would either go to college funded by a scholarship and compete NCAA, or they go pro and presumably go to college once their elite career is over? Add to that many elites are under 18 and not old enough for college anyway :)

In the UK it's a little different- no college scholarships and no college competitions. Older elites will attend part time as that enables them to continue training rather than have to get a job!

I think the reason why there wasn't a team for the US is because major competitions are all soon after and close together, and I believe the main girls are trying to avoid exhausting themselves. Personally, I don't think the best USA girls will ever compete in this competition as long as the caliber continues to increase, since Team USA tends to peak towards the end of the season.

As for the Elite/NCAA situation, it really just depends on the athlete. Of course huge International stars seize the opportunity for sponsors, and since the environment/quality for NCAA is so different than Elite, the most successful Elites usually try to bow out on a good note and go to regular college. Many Elites actually take the NCAA path, just not the household names, so to speak. :)

The situation in the UK is very interesting! If I'm not mistaken, the US is the only country with a college gymnastics system.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back