WAG Super exciting news!! Long...sorry :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lynn

Proud Parent
I am so excited and scared at the same time! Over the last couple weeks we have been "looking" at new gyms! And the reason being is we have been transferred closer to home! DD has worked out in multiple gyms and we have it narrowed down to 2. One is about 15-20 mins away from where we are looking to live and the other is about 30 the other way. She "tested" well and both clubs have placed her level 7. She competed 4 last season and they will score her out at a private judge coming in weekend. They don't have the girls do it at an actual meet. I had to laugh a little as the spoke about how strong she was. Uh yeah...she conditions a TON!

Now some of the scary things for me. We have never "left" anywhere. Have honored all commitments and so forth. Do I request a meeting or do I write a letter/email? We are also owed a considerable amount of fundraising money that would typically be applied to the coming season. Advice on how to approach that subject would be GREATLY appreciated!

As you are relocating, your "leaving" the gym will be seen in a positive light (vs leaving and going to another gym in the area) ...by all means , contact the person in charge of the fundraising to see if you can even get the money...sometimes fundraising money has to stay in the gym due to non profit regs but it never hurts to ask.....

By fundraising I meant...used leo and bake sale type fundraising. Our own personal items. Would that be the same type thing as mentioned above?

I just hope I handle all this well. I tend to get scattered when I'm confused or anxious! Lol!

I am glad that you have found a good gym! As for leaving, since you are relocated your gym should take it well. I would ask about the money in the gym account. I know at our gym once you deposit money in the account, you can't get it back at all.

I think leaving will go fine under your circumstances. At our gym when people have left and had a good bit of money in their "fundraising account" they have "sold" that to someone else. So the money is transferred to someone else's account and that person pays the leaving person in cash. And they get a deal. So if you have $500 in your account, you might "sell it" for $400. Normally you are not supposed to get any of that money back, so it is a win-win for everyone.

I think leaving will go fine under your circumstances. At our gym when people have left and had a good bit of money in their "fundraising account" they have "sold" that to someone else. So the money is transferred to someone else's account and that person pays the leaving person in cash. And they get a deal. So if you have $500 in your account, you might "sell it" for $400. Normally you are not supposed to get any of that money back, so it is a win-win for everyone.

I like the idea of "selling" to another family! As soon as I communicate our departure to the gym, I know a family that would be perfect to work with.

Thanks!

Yeah if your fundraising was for a 501 c3 nonprofit then I don't think they can just give back to you in cash. At our gym when people have left they will usually just transfer the money to someone else, but we also don't tend to have people with huge fundraising accounts like I hear on here. Maybe $50.

What you might be able to take will depend largely on what type of organization is handling the fundraising money. If your gym has a booster club that is as gymdog states organized under a 501(3)c nonprofit organization, it is highly unlikely you will or can get any part of your money even if you donated the goods. In fact, it would be illegal for them to distribute that money individually/personally. But if the money you raised goes into separate or individual gymnasts account (your account) then it would appear that money is yours. The dance studio where my youngest is a team member, deposits all fundraising money raised by individual families to their individual accounts. So any money raised by that family goes solely to the family that raised the money.

I would speak personally to the HC or gym owner about your leaving and find out first what kind of organization is handling the team fundraisers.

What you might be able to take will depend largely on what type of organization is handling the fundraising money. If your gym has a booster club that is as gymdog states organized under a 501(3)c nonprofit organization, it is highly unlikely you will or can get any part of your money even if you donated the goods. In fact, it would be illegal for them to distribute that money individually/personally. But if the money you raised goes into separate or individual gymnasts account (your account) then it would appear that money is yours. The dance studio where my youngest is a team member, deposits all fundraising money raised by individual families to their individual accounts. So any money raised by that family goes solely to the family that raised the money.

I would speak personally to the HC or gym owner about your leaving and find out first what kind of organization is handling the team fundraisers.

The money does go into our individual accounts. We don't do any general fundraising it's all on an individual basis. Kind of an optional type thing. Some do it and others don't. With my DD taking a huge growth spurt this yr it was by far our best used leo sale ever!

Gym took the news well just as you all said they would. Feeling better about that..

We did discuss my fundraising funds and it looks as tho I will get that back in cash. I believe how they are going to do it is pay my last full months tuition and then the remaining will be cash or check from gym. I'm very happy with the outcome and worried really for nothing. HC and gym owner were great!

Side note: my DD is super excited and sad. She LOVES her main coach. We couldn't wait to have her. After the previous coach ( and I use that term loosely and so would her current coach! ) left, the gym was such a positive hardworking learning environment! We will miss that. However, I've done some pretty decent digging into all gyms we visited and I'm pleased with the success stories from all. I know..there could always be another coach like dd old one...but my fingers are still crossed she is a thing of the past.

Thanks again for all the input!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back