MAG supporting the tall / fast growing / otherwise strength to weight challenged

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

emorymom

Proud Parent
If a child is told to do extra conditioning and body-weight type skill work (v-sit, press handstand, etc) at home in L5 ...

Assuming 3 day a week training with either 1 or 2 days off between each workout.

If doing extra, is it best to do extra conditioning (in excess of what the group is doing) or body weight skill development on off days on on workout days?
How long does it take a child in this age group to rebound back to full strength after conditioning to exhaustion? Are there any appropriate ways to accelerate this recovery?
One of his particular struggles is the press handstand. Any particular advice on the press? He frequently collapses.
Any other hints for getting him extra conditioning but having him back on full power before the next practice?

I'm gonna assume your child is on board with working beyond the regular strength work. He'll need to find a chunk of time to work on this, so keep in mind that sleep is an important part of recovery and it is unwise to sacrifice sleep to allow additional time for extra strength work.

I'd suggest he adds the extra work on the same days as gym. That'll give him the same amount of between practices rest time as his team mates, and that work-rest cycle is what he's used to.

One days rest is enough, even after maxing out. I used to do that occasionally to the point of experiencing tunnel vision when sitting in from of my locker and resting up just to get into the shower room and changed to go home. It took only a good night's sleep to wake and have enough energy to easily get through my rest day. I had a lot of muscle pain through the entire rest day, but could go all out the day following the rest day. I think everyone has a different threshold for work and some may need to reduce the work every now and then to renew their energy level.

Here's some options.....

If there's time and space for him to continue his strength work once practice is over, and he'll be home in time to get to bed he should stay the extra 20 to 30 minutes it takes.

If he hasn't time after practice he can split the work into small pieces and do one or two exercises in the morning, maybe some between school and gym, and perhaps a teensy bit right before or after practice. I don't know if it's best to do all of a particular exercise at one time, like 3 sets of handstand pushups, or if i's better to do two or three different exercises one set each and then resume with them at the next opportunity. My intuition says work the daylights out of one exercise in a single session, but BlairBob may have something to say about that.

Depends on age.

Recovery is based on training experience besides sleep, food, and downtime.

Volume is fine for HS stuff and fairly easy to recover from. The wrists and joints adapt slowly though so be on the lookout for wear and tear.

Volume adaptation isnt just a muscular thing as it involves the CNS but HS are not extremely taxing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back