Parents sweaty hands and feet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MomIdidit!

Proud Parent
Happy New Year!!! my dd just had her first meet a few weeks ago and she told me her hands were so sweaty she felt like she could slip off the vault. she scored well but was upset by the wet hands. her feet were also sweaty and she felt like she could have fallen off the beam. her coaches told me they are not allowed to use chalk on the vault or the beam ever bc it ruins the apparatus.

I looked up past threads on this topic and found information on drysol. I was so thankful to find this information. dd Dr gave us the prescription and she has used it a few times with awesome results. here is the problem....Dd Dr is not a fan of drysol bc it's so strong and dd is 8 yo. she said she will not give dd another prescription for it.

does anyone have any suggestions for dd sweaty hands and feet? Thank you!

I would talk to the coach. Excessive sweating is a medical condition but I wouldn't want my child on drysol either. Perhaps the coach would make an exception to the chalk rule. One child using chalk on beam and vault shouldn't make a difference.

Is this a real issue all the time or was she just extra nervous at the meet?
My DD is a bit of a "sweater" but she doesn't have problems during practice. At meets, I see her wiping her hands on her leo constantly.

it seems like she does sweat more when nervous but she also sweats at practice. older ds also sweats a lot and dh has sweaty palms a lot too. beam shoes are not allowed bc I asked and her coaches said no to the chalk. they want her to learn how to work through it with breathing techniques. your suggestions are most appreciated! Thank you.

it seems like she does sweat more when nervous but she also sweats at practice. older ds also sweats a lot and dh has sweaty palms a lot too. beam shoes are not allowed bc I asked and her coaches said no to the chalk. they want her to learn how to work through it with breathing techniques. your suggestions are most appreciated! Thank you.

The next time one of them comes in feeling under the weather, sweetly suggest they work through their viral/bacterial infection with "breathing techniques".

Would using an anti per-spirant on the hands/feet before the meet help? I suppose it could make things worse but if applied several hours beforehand, she might be able to benefit from the effects of it and hopefully the slipperiness of the product itself would have already faded away? Might not work but just a thought. Or perhaps even baby powder right before the meet?

I also think that with a few more meets under her belt this may become less of a problem for her, as her nerves settle down and all.

I will try the baby powder, that might be a big help. I do agree that after a few more meets maybe the nerves will settle down. she did say after the first meet that she didn't realize the judges would be staring at her the ENTIRE time lol.

txgymfan....doc did offer to write a note, maybe I should take her up on it.

Thank you again!!

my ds has used anti-perspirant on his palms for pommel horse and pbars, adn it helped, but not as well as chalk. I have never heard of no chalk on beam...our girls step in it before they get on the beam! Hope you get it figured out!

You could try liquid chalk, which is commonly sold now for activities like rock climbing and cross fit....I'm not sure how much it would help but may be worth a try?

The product Certain Dri is perhaps worth a try. It was a life saver (and blouse saver!!!) for me, being a person who sweats when it is 10 below zero :confused::confused:. I have read reviews where people have used it on their palms or feet, though I have not tried that personally. Certain Dri also makes a product just for feet. Just Google Certain Dri Feet.

I just googled certain dry, thank you Sasha. it looks like this could be a great product for dd. I'm still not sure if I need a prescription in the USA to purchase the product. I'm still researching it now.

I just googled certain dry, thank you Sasha. it looks like this could be a great product for dd. I'm still not sure if I need a prescription in the USA to purchase the product. I'm still researching it now.

No prescription needed. It is sold at Walmart, Target, Amazon, etc. Note, most people, including me, seem to think the roll-on is far more effective than the solid. Also, note that it is applied at night only - before bed. I have read through reviews on other occasions, and noted that some people found it to work right away, though for me, I found I had to apply it several days in a row (at night) before I noticed a real effect. Individual results seem to vary, like anything. But if you read the reviews on Amazon you will see hundreds of people swear by it, at least for underarm purposes.

Hope you find something that helps! It is strange they won't allow beam shoes at your gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back