Switching Classes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay, I have an issue with the gym class I am in.

First, here is some background. I am a level 6 in rec. I go one day a week for 2 hours. Our class used to have a ton of people in it. The limit is 16 girls and there are 2 coaches. We used to have 16, then almost all of them dropped out, leaving only 3 of us. Then more people started joining, and now we are back up at 15 or 16.

The thing is, now that there are so many of us, we barely get to do anything! We do have 2 coaches, but we never split up into groups. I think we spend (literally) half of the practice waiting for a turn, meaning I only get to practice for about 1 hour. Also, our class has levels 4,5, and 6 in it. IMO, they are getting WAY to easy about moving kids up. There are a bunch of girls who just moved up to our class from L3, and they can't even do some L3 skills! As in, they can't even make a back hip circle or a back bend. The coaches have to work with them more, which is holding the rest of us back. I am not learning anything new, because they don't have time to teach me anything. I am not making any progress in skills because there is no time and they are too busy spotting the other girls.

I told my mom, and she says I should consider switching classes (they offer 4,5,6 classes on other days of the week too). The thing is, I currently go on Fridays. This works out, because I don't have to worry about the homework issue. If I go on any other day, I am really worried I won't be able to get my HW done. Also, I am really close friends with a couple of the girls in my class, and I don't want to leave them.

My coach is okay. She has some, uh, anger issues. She gets frustrated with us easily, and sometimes throws stuff at us. It is just things like bouncy balls, though, so it doesn't hurt. She just does it playfully too. (Does this make her an abusive coach? I don't think so, but I want your opinions). I don't think she coaches the other classes. I don't know if I would be comfortable switching coaches, though, as she has been my coach since I joined this gym (4 years ago).

I am super confused at what to do. I want to get better at gymnastics, and this class is holding me back. However, I don't want to leave my friends or coaches, and I am wary of the other class, as they might be having the same issues. Anyone have any suggestions about what I should do? And do you think my coach is treating us appropriately? If you need more info to judge, let me know.

Sorry about the super long post.

My first concern is the coach throwing "soft" things like bouncy balls at you. IMO if you are afraid that she'll pick up something "not so soft" the next time, whether intended by the coach to inflict fear or not, She is walking a parrallel course to abuse that shows poor judgement at the least. Could it be innocent, sure, but life is much more about how we percieve things around us, well intentioned or not. It's kinda like the saying that if it quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck, it is a duck. You may have to tell her to stop, before she's mistaken for a duck.

You don't need to apologize for such a long post....especially to me :) You described everything so well that may want to consider sending it to the coach, as it lays out very clearly a short list of legitimate concerns. She may choose to ignore what you've written, but will more likely applaud your courage, and thank you for wanting to help her be a better coach.

Well, now that you mention it, she did get really impatient one time and took off her shoes and threw them at us, jokingly though. And we dodged them. So I don't know what you think of that...

I'm writing this in "scorched" mode, as I can't see what's going on, and I don't know if her actions are a response to "teasing actions" from you or any of the other students. If the teasing is a "community effort" it should be put to a stop. Having fun is ok, but not in the way you've described. The first moment any of you girls don't duck fast or far enough?......If it's all in fun, it won't be when one of you tries to dodge while on the beam, loses balance, slips, hits the beam dead in the mouth on the way down, and ends up in braces or worse.

I think she's heading for a valuable "life lesson". If she throws anything at anybody during any sort of skill when a student is in flight, moving to or from an upside down position, on a piece of equipment where they could fall because of flinching........

Jeez! None of this is any good. She's there to teach, if she can't communicate her ideas in a convincing way with nuetral or positive cues, she should figure that out. Teasing in a way that makes the recipient (you) uncomfortable beyond a blush is wrong. If you don't like it, tell her to stop, and remind her that you are every bit as much a person as she is, and you won't put up with the way she is treating you, get your stuff and wait in the lobby to be picked up. Your parents need to sort it out from there.

She's either crazy, lazy, foolish, mean, or very immature, and there is nothing in that list that would make me feel comfortable with her continued behavior in such a manner. If I was the program director I'd give her one and only one warning, and only if I was in a generous mood. If not in a generous mood, I'd put her together with a trusted mentor coach where she could see how things should be done.

I told you earlier to possibly share your post with the instructor, but the whole shoe episode puts it "over the top" for me. I think you need to share your post with your mom, dad, or both. They should be able to figure this out with you much more so than people who don't know you. Trust your parents, this could very well go beyond needing a coaches perspective.

See if you can find out more about the other classes, e.g. find out what the coaches are like on the other days. Do more HW on other days of the week, or get up early one morning to catch up. (Re your coach, I posted in your other thread about it).

I'm with Bog on this one ask your parents to get involved to have a meeting with the coach and owner. Your parents are on your side and should support you in this. Also look into other days of the week eventhough you have homework its only a 2 hour class - you should be able to do a normal amount of homework in the time left after or before class. do some time management - bring some homework to your lunch period and do some there. Try to do some on the bus ride home, If you have a study during the day try to get as much done as you can.

Also Yes its great to have friends with you in your gymnastics and if you can do it great but you have do decide which you want more doing it with friends or having a better class.

no coach should be throwing anything at you either - soft or hard - both can cause pain and injury.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back