Switching from NDP to IDP. Does it ever happen in the mid levels?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi All

So exciting to see an Aussie forum! Am a total newbie to this forum but just found it and the new Oz section so here I go with a question that has long been on my mind.

Our gym has had several girls transfer over to IDP after level 1 and 2 but am wondering if it ever happens around levels 4 /5 or are the differences too great by then ( our gymnast is 10).

Any info appreciated
Thanks

Yes, it is common. In general they expect you to enter the IDP levels by IDP 5 and then these levels must be passed in order from here on. But you can apply to enter at a higher level as well.

Glad to see this post as I myself and a few friends have been wondering about this one. My daughter was accepted into IDP last year but the clubs offering the program are just too far away to get to with our current location and schedules for the other children so I had hoped she can continue in NDP until such time as (if/ when) we can commit to the program but unsure if her skills and strength will be too far behind! I think it makes more sense to wait until 10/ 11 because then you can see how they are going after a few years at the sport!

I don't think it's very common due to the age requirements and the skills required in IDP which are very different (and harder) to the equivalent NDP level skills.
So for instance IDP 8 you need to be turning 11/12/13 in that year. It would be rare to find a girl competing NDP with the required skills to crossover and the right age.
Yes there will always be exceptions but in general most change over early.

I don't think it's very common due to the age requirements and the skills required in IDP which are very different (and harder) to the equivalent NDP level skills.
So for instance IDP 8 you need to be turning 11/12/13 in that year. It would be rare to find a girl competing NDP with the required skills to crossover and the right age.
Yes there will always be exceptions but in general most change over early.

That's what I thought, DD just turned 9 and has her states tomorrow then she moves to ndp2, I have seen how different a ndp2 routine is compared to a idp2 routine. She would need at least another year of training to be able to come close to competing. Kudos to the kids who have the skills and talent to switch from one stream to another, I bet it's difficult.

My thought is that it would not be an easy route to follow. There are very different expectations of NDP and IDP gymnasts. Given that IDP1 is approximately equal to NDP3, the gap is only going to get wider the further up the levels you go.

It is not the 9 year olds who are NDP who are crossing over to IDP. It's the 9 year olds who are already level 5 or 6.

It is not the 9 year olds who are NDP who are crossing over to IDP. It's the 9 year olds who are already level 5 or 6.
OK yes so an NDP 6 who is 9 could probably cross to IDP 3/5 - as they'd have to pretty amazing to have reached ndp 6 at that age, but are there many of them out there? I don't see them in NSW much.
Most clubs aren't big on skipping levels and didn't see very many turning 6's at ndp 1 this year never mind the higher levels.

Yes, it is common. In general they expect you to enter the IDP levels by IDP 5 and then these levels must be passed in order from here on. But you can apply to enter at a higher level as well.
Not to seem negative, but I don't see it as common and I think that it would be wrong for people to read here that it is easy to choose ndp and then a few years down the track be able to go for idp.

Certainly when we chose not to do IDP I knew that give it 1-2 years that option would no longer be an option. The training is not the same, the skills aren't the same and the age limits are limiting.
Yes some exceptional kids can catch up or with amazing coaching (not just an amazing coach but one that has the time to dedicate to different coaching to one child in a squad) keep up with IDP in an NDP environment but it's not common.

My daughters club regularly skips levels and most of our level 4s are 7 - 9 and training big hours. The higher levels coach states that he doesnt believe in the success of the IDP program in NSW and stated that hes had a few 10 year old NDP level 7s invited to cross over. I can only trust our coach and hope for the best, but at our previous club in Qld they took a 10 year old NDP level 3 across to IDP 3/ 5 successfully and had an 8 year old level 4 picked for future IDP entry also.

My daughter is 8 competing level 5 in November

oneborkegymmum if they have a lot of success in moving kids from ndp to idp and you are in an area without local idp clubs and as you say they are training big hours maybe they are training the kids to or close to an idp standard but that is not usual. Esp if they are skipping levels and regularly have 10 year old level 7's.
A 10 year old (depends if turning 10 or turning 11) would be at the top end of idp 3/5 (ie couldn't do idp 3 if turning 11) and it would not be usual in 99% of clubs for an ndp 3 child to have the skills to cross to IDP 5. Not saying it is impossible but it would be rare. They would be one off exceptional kids.
Not saying I think the IDP program is a great one, but it's how it is at the moment.
But hey with the major shakeup of the whole WAG program over the next two years things will be different!
LOL anyone want to start a discussion on the whole new levels program???

NDP and IDP have cross over levels. So if you passed that level in IDP you would be considered to have passed that level in NDP if you chose to cross back.

IDP 2 = National level 4
IDP 3 = National level 5

Not exactly. If a child wants to enter IDP and they have not done it before they can enter at any level up to an including IDP 5. If they want to enter at a higher level they need to apply for approval.

[quote="OzZee, post: 2
But hey with the major shakeup of the whole WAG program over the next two years things will be different!
LOL anyone want to start a discussion on the whole new levels program???[/quote]

Ooh please excuse my ignorance but that sounds interesting. What changes are coming? Is there somewhere I can read about that?

Thanks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back