T&t faq

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

CoachGoofy

Q. Tell me about trampoline and tumbling. What is it?

A. T&T is an international discipline of gymnastics. The events are trampoline, tumbling, double mini trampoline, and synchronized trampoline. Like artistic gymnastics, competitors can be relatively inexperienced, world class, or anywhere in between.

Q. So, tumbling like floor exercise?

A. Not really. Our floor is long and about 6' wide, and it bounces a bit differently from the spring floor. Competitive power tumblers do not need to be able to dance, even a little! They do, however, work towards competing passes of 8 skills.

Q. I have a trampoline in my backyard, so if I start trampoline, I'll be realllly good, right?

A. Oh my gosh, please don't practice competitive T&T routines in your back yard! That is so many kinds of not safe. A competitive trampoline is rectangular, rather than round, and the bed rebounds much differently from the trampoline in your back yard. I mean, you might happen to be reaaaaallllly good, but practicing in the backyard makes it more likely that you'll get reaaallllly injured.

Q. What on earth is a double mini?

220px-A_double_mini_trampoline.jpg

That is a double mini. Passes have either a mounter and a dismount or a spotter and a dismount. A mounter is a skill over the red line (which you must completely clear). A spotter is a skill done in the top bed after a straight jump. A dismount is exactly what it sounds like. Double mini is kind of the vault of T&T.

Q. I was level 8 in artistic. Do I have to start at level 5?

A. No. You may start at level 7 or below. You have to achieve a mobility score to move up after you start, so you can't start at 6 and then decide you want to do 7 if you haven't gotten your score for 6. USTA doesn't require mobility scores or have a required start level at all-the coach decides what level an athlete competes.

Q. I really like trampoline, but I'm a weak tumbler. Do I have to train all events?

A. Nope! And if you enjoy all of the events but are better at some than others, that's totally ok. It's allowed to compete different levels on different events.

Q. What do I wear?

A. Probably a leotard and shorts, if you're a girl. If you're a boy, shorts and a tshirt that aren't so baggy you lose yourself in the air.

Q. I'm <insert size and age description here>, would I be successful at T&T?

A. Probably! Trampoline and tumbling is a form of gymnastics that has more longevity than artistic. The equipment doesn't have any built-in height deductions (uneven bars come to mind...), so you see a lot of diversity among competitors.

Q. Do I need to train 40 hours a week to be really good?

A. No. Most T&Ters train fewer than 15 hours a week (correct me if I am wrong, please!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great overview CoachGoofy! My daughter competed USTA/AAU T&t for 7 years, competed all 3 events and we loved it! She started at age 7 and qualified elite at age 12 in tumbling. Some of the guidelines and rules and different between USAG and USTA, but I encourage anyone interested T&T to try it.

I loved USTA as an athlete. Now I'm loving USAG as a coach. Both programs offer a lot to athletes. I am so delighted to still be involved in the sport.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back