Talent!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hello there, LassWadeCoach. i'll be coming your way this summer to coach for a week or two. i'll give you more details when i receive them from the people that are sending/bringing me there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow thats cool, Looking forward to seeing you! You can see some videos of my gymnasts on my youtube channel - x20xrachx06x

Keep me updated!

To me what stands out as talent in a gymnast is basically what was already said. (strength, flexibility, good form, ect.) However looking at it from a different angle, I guess having talent could possibly mean just sticking it out when you want to give up. It takes loads of talent to stay strong and not give up. I am not quite sure if this makes sense but a good friend always told me being talented in anything doesn't just mean you are good at it, it means you have the right attitude towards it which develops your talent. Talent can be seen in many ways whether it is physical talent or mental talent. The important thing that most people forget is that we are all talented in our own ways.

"Hard work without talent is a shame, but talent without hard work is a tragedy."

I look at talent as

-The ability to learn skills quickly,
-Being able to see a skill/have it described and then do their best to understand it and replicate it,
-Good form,
-And perseverance.

The last one is the most important. Even if you're horrible at gymnastics, if you have perseverance you have my respect. :)

"We look first for body size and body shape."

Eh, maybe I'm biased, but I feel that while this is an important factor it shouldn't be the first thing on your mind.

Holding a Preschooler Back Intentionally

I guess this question is for the coaches and parents too. My daughter's coach approached me and told me they are going to hold my 4 year old back intentionally because she cannot compete until she is 6. My daughter is now expressing frustration and boredom with what she is allowed to do. She has been in the same preschool class for 2 years now but would make a decent level 4 gymnast skill wise. They have uptrained her during regular class time but she is now becoming aware that she is mostly training by herself with no partner or coach attention. She is one of those gymnast that people just stop and look at and say "O". I think she should move on so she doesn't continue to feel frustrated or take a break alltogether. We are at a very reputable gym that I like so I would like her to come back to this gym even if we take a break. My daughter is not asking to take a break so I wanted to clarify that. She is now doing a private lesson for 30 minutes once a week but is picking up skills super quickly. However, I think that she should do this in a class that is suitable to her ability. What are your thoughts? I can take it and I really could use the advice.

I guess this question is for the coaches and parents too. My daughter's coach approached me and told me they are going to hold my 4 year old back intentionally because she cannot compete until she is 6. My daughter is now expressing frustration and boredom with what she is allowed to do. ...We are at a very reputable gym that I like so I would like her to come back to this gym even if we take a break. My daughter is not asking to take a break so I wanted to clarify that. She is now doing a private lesson for 30 minutes once a week but is picking up skills super quickly. However, I think that she should do this in a class that is suitable to her ability. What are your thoughts? I can take it and I really could use the advice.
I wonder if you may need to start a new thread so people who may respond to your question will read it??
I'd be interested in the responses you get.
For our vaguely similar situation, I'm loathe to consider a different gym - and in fairness to the current one haven't yet discussed my concerns with them. Anyway based on some advice from smart people on CB, I've arranged to distract my DD by enrolling her in a couple of other things (ice-skating and dancing - staring in a couple of weeks when our school year starts). I plan to wait a few months then approach the coaches (if they don't approach me first) to ask them to let her try a more advanced class.

I want to emphasize again: there are elements of talent that simply do not come into play at the lower levels and are therefore impossible to predict until a kid gets older.

The most obvious example is aerial awareness. Some kids naturally have it, some can learn it, some will never have it. And it does not even come into play until about level 7 or 8 (kids with a severe lack of aerial awareness may struggle at 6, but only in severe cases). A girl can (and I've seen girls like this) have exceptional strength, flexibility, form, and body control, but zero aptitude for aerial awareness; such a girl will be spectacular at the lower levels, but will run headlong into a metaphorical wall once she reaches a certain point.

And the opposite is true as well; I have seen several kids who have average or below average strength, flexibility, and form at the lower levels, but excel spectacularly once they reach the level where they can really start flipping.

very good geoff. haptic and optic gifts of the central nervous system that you have well defined. again, an integral part of the vestibular system. almost every post characterizes 'biology' as the determining factor. if the kid cooperates? icing on the cake.

We are at a very reputable gym that I like

I think this is key. At this age pacing is important even just to prevent too much stress on the body. I would not move a 4 year old into a competitive group. We basically try to take care not to get to that point though - I can't say I've really considered uptraining beyond very little (maybe working for example two cartwheels in a row or more bars, always more bars...I don't bridge kids or do unsupported bridging skills under 5). I play a lot of strength building stuff and try to have little contests and games. I want them to just be getting stronger and having better body control and form in very basic elements. Then when they are old enough for preteam and level classes they can really hit the ground running. I don't want to have little kids throwing all this stuff. Even when they can do it it generally lacks a certain amount of body control. I have to say I've seen 4 year olds do RO BHS for instance...I have never seen a good one. Sorry...I have to call that one like I see it. I'm sure every kid who can throw it is talented, but I'm not sure that's ultimately the best way to develop it. Besides as you show...they just can't compete L4 until 6. Of course teaching all this stuff and backtracking is frustrating to a young child. They are being isolated from the class.

For that reason I would hesistate to recommend private lessons in this situation because I think it might even compound the problem. Instead I'm guessing that "classes" have various instructors at your gym, within levels, if it's a relatively large program. I'd try to look and feel around - there may be an instructor who is a better fit for your daughter at this level and she might have more fun in that class. It might even just provide a change of pace for her.

Last edited:
Rather than a private lesson weekly maybe a dance lesson would benefit her more in the long run gymnastic wise. Maybe an open gym session once a week if your gym does them would be fun. I can't see any reason for a private lesson at 4 other than to keep her interested and challenged and if that is the case I think the gym has a responsibity to her to help with this especially if they think she has potential. Good luck and I hope she thrives.

Yes, I agree with all said above. I'll sum it up into even fewer words...

Three types of talent:

Talent of mind (ability to think, reason, understand corrections, etc)
Talent of body (naturally coordinated, flexible, strong)
Talent of spirit (dedicated, motivated, self driven)

The total TALENT PACKAGE of elite type athletes is well roundedly talented.

I really like this -it sums up what I was thinking. Im going to borrow that. Thanks.

I know this is a drastic over-simplification, but my husband and I have always considered a child with natural talent to be those that make it look effortless. My best example is from DD's "ex"-swim team.

Very recent race of 100 Butterfly, my dd and her good friend were separated by less .5 of a second both "good swimmers and near state qualification in terms of time. But my DD was really working it, muscling it, using the strength she has in her shoulders (gotten frankly from gymnastcs:)). But her friend, who is a year younger, is smooth, her strokes look effortless, like gliding. Not sure how else to describe it.... effortless...

I was talking to my exhusband who coaches at a very high level ( elites, world team members, olympians) about what he thought about talent. He agreed with you whole heartedly GTaucer about the air awareness. To paraphrase him almost any gymnast can reach level 7 or maybe even 8 with good coaching and hard work. At that point you can tell true talent for gymnastics. Maybe you already suspected it was there, but that's when he feels like he can really tell if someone has the talent to be a high level gymnast and that's the point at which he is often surprised by someone.

So that might come as sad news to everyone out there that has a little one who seems to be something really special. He thinks it's too young to say. Even with his own DD who seems to pick up skills pretty quickly and be naturally strong and flexible he's not the least bit interested in saying she has any ability whatsoever. I explained to him that as her parent it's his job to think she's talented:D.

I think this is key. At this age pacing is important even just to prevent too much stress on the body. I would not move a 4 year old into a competitive group. We basically try to take care not to get to that point though - I can't say I've really considered uptraining beyond very little (maybe working for example two cartwheels in a row or more bars, always more bars...I don't bridge kids or do unsupported bridging skills under 5). I play a lot of strength building stuff and try to have little contests and games. I want them to just be getting stronger and having better body control and form in very basic elements. Then when they are old enough for preteam and level classes they can really hit the ground running. I don't want to have little kids throwing all this stuff. Even when they can do it it generally lacks a certain amount of body control. I have to say I've seen 4 year olds do RO BHS for instance...I have never seen a good one. Sorry...I have to call that one like I see it. I'm sure every kid who can throw it is talented, but I'm not sure that's ultimately the best way to develop it. Besides as you show...they just can't compete L4 until 6. Of course teaching all this stuff and backtracking is frustrating to a young child. They are being isolated from the class.

For that reason I would hesistate to recommend private lessons in this situation because I think it might even compound the problem. Instead I'm guessing that "classes" have various instructors at your gym, within levels, if it's a relatively large program. I'd try to look and feel around - there may be an instructor who is a better fit for your daughter at this level and she might have more fun in that class. It might even just provide a change of pace for her.

Thanks for saying that. If I see one more 3 or 4 year old doing an ugly ROBHS on youtube I'm going to scream.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back