Talk to me about T/T/Power Tumbling

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

msl529

Hi all,

My dd has been doing Artistic USAG for 4 years now, just finished L6 season. We just moved from FL to TX, where, after one month at her new gym, she decided to take a break from competitive gymnastics (I have posted about this a bunch in the parent forum, sorry if it's repetitive to you all!). She did not feel comfortable w/ one of the coaches at her new gym here, so we left there, and put her in a tumbling class at a brand-new gym in our town. It's a 'teen tumbling' class, mostly teenage girls trying to get their BHS for cheer try-outs. But the coach has individualized really nicely for my dd, and she is working on tumbling skills more like USAG artistic L7/8, and some tramp stuff too.

This gym is starting up an Artisitc USAG Girls' team next week(new girls' coach coming then-have not met her yet). The deal is, that dd will try the team out for a couple of months, before she decides if she's truly ready to quit competitive artistic gymnastics.

Lately, she's been saying that if she decides to quit artistic, then she'll just take the tumbling class a couple of days a week, as she likes the lower time committment and loves to tumble. My thing for her has always been that she needs to keep active, as she is a wiggly kid (13 years, 7th grade, btw) and a competitive situation would also be good for her, as she LOVES to compete (always has, since day one, way back in L4). So a little ol' rec tumbling class is not going to cut it, IMO. She'll get bored and needs some more challenge.

To make a long story longer, lol(sorry!), yesterday dd told me that one of the tumbling coaches has been trying to recruit her for the power tumbling (and maybe tramp too, I'm not sure) team that he is trying to get the owners to start up at this gym. I will have to inquire as to wether they truly are going to start up a t/t/power tumble team or not. But we DO have a few other gyms here in the Dallas/Ft worth area that do this, so she could go elswhere if she chose to do it.

So our next question is: What is all this? I did the research I could on USAG's website about it, but I still don't know what it looks like in 'real life'. i.e.: how often do they practice, when is competition season, how many meets are generally done, do they do all events or just one, do they separate-out by level and age group like artistic, or just age....etc., etc.,???? I want to get an idea of what our daily life would be like doing this and what competing is like.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give you some background. Thanks for any input you could give! :cool:

Hello!!! We don't have too many power tumbling teams in the MD area but I do know a lot of cheerleaders that want to quit cheer (to take a break) and continue with the power tumbling. They are trying to find a gym that has this in MD. Anyway, google or youtube search Kiara Nowlin--I believe she is in CA, but she did cheer and also power tumbles. Her videos are off the hook!!! She also does a basketball commercial for AMEX, I think. I think she is also the world champion at age 13.

Check out her videos and maybe that will help you find a link to more about power tumbling. Good luck!!!

You can find the level routines on USAG's section. L5 is basically RO-BH and everything under that is rolls, limbers, walkovers, cartwheels.

Our kids that competed TnT only worked out 2dx1.5h but they were also in the compulsory and optional team groups. They split/shared time.

Our gym has a T&T team (pretty newly formed).
It is boys and girls and they practice 2 times a week for 2 hrs.
I have not seen them going to any meets or competitions yet, so I can't speak to that at all.
They do seem to be flying high and having fun though!!!!!
(all the crazy flipping scares me!:))

My daughter started power tumbling at age 7. She competes power tumbling, trampoline and double-mini meets through USTA and AAU. Some gyms compete USTA/AAU and/or USAG/AAU. She usually practices 3 1/2 hours a week, but when it's closer to state meet it is 4 1/4 hours a week. Most gyms might be a little more hours per week, but we go to a small gym. She is now 12 and is the only female to qualify at elite level tumbling in our state so far this year. I don't get to brag often on here since she isn't a "gymnast":) Our competitions usually start in late November and state meets are held in April. The USTA National meet this year is in Amarillo. Looking forward to it as we have never been to Texas before!

Forgot to add...each level is also divided by age groups. ie...advanced level is ages 9-10, 11-12, 13-14. Lower levels ie...beginner, advanced beginner have own age group 9, 10, 11, 12, etc.

Last edited:
My daughter started power tumbling at age 7. She competes power tumbling, trampoline and double-mini meets through USTA and AAU. Some gyms compete USTA/AAU and/or USAG/AAU. She usually practices 3 1/2 hours a week, but when it's closer to state meet it is 4 1/4 hours a week. Most gyms might be a little more hours per week, but we go to a small gym. She is now 12 and is the only female to qualify at elite level tumbling in our state so far this year. I don't get to brag often on here since she isn't a "gymnast":) Our competitions usually start in late November and state meets are held in April. The USTA National meet this year is in Amarillo. Looking forward to it as we have never been to Texas before!

Forgot to add...each level is also divided by age groups. ie...advanced level is ages 9-10, 11-12, 13-14. Lower levels ie...beginner, advanced beginner have own age group 9, 10, 11, 12, etc.
BTW, congrats, jamarie and your dd's accomplishments! WOW! Do you have any videos of her up on you tube or something?

I found a T&T forum while looking around for more info, if you're interested. It's not nearly as busy/well-frequented as CB, but it seems like a nice place. Here's the link:

The Tramp and Tumble Network - Connecting the global Trampoline and Tumbling community

Let us know how your dd does in Amarillo! Best of luck to her!

I just have to say that I just love love love the tumbling thing. I was very weird about it at first, but my dd (now 5yrs old) has such a great time when we go to tumbling meets. She just loves it. DD also competes L2 gymnastics this season, but does sub-novice power tumbling through USTA/AAU. (her passes are roundoff 2 back handsprings, and roundoff 3 back handsprings)...

There are many things that I like about usta and aau, but the thing that really stands out to me is that all of the athletes get awards (a trophy at 99% of competitions and a medal at the other 1%) and I really like that. We've been to some gymnastics meets where they only give medals for the top 4 or 5 and only top 3 in the AA, so unfortunately some of the kids walk away empty handed with only the experience to remember (which is really the most important part, but many times, even if kids place lower, they feel better about it because they were given a physical award - just something that i've noticed with kids on dd's team)

And I could spend all day at these tumbling meets. We have kids from our gym that compete in every level (sub-beginner to elite) and dd just loves to watch the kids tumble in sub-advanced, advanced and elite. It's really amazing what some of these kids can do!

I have noticed, though, that there is a noticeable difference in the kids who are only power tumblers and the kids who have gymnastics experience or who are current gymnasts. Their form seems to be a little more "gymnast" and a little less "tumbler"...something a little hard for me to explain. I'm not saying that either is better than the other, i'm just saying that, to me, there is a definite difference. Probalby comes down to the style of coaching. I don't know if it's different for gymanstics vs tumbling, though.

Anyway, I really feel like tumbling is an awesome alternative or even addition to artistic gym. It allows for the kids to do what they love and are good at without the commitment of competitive team level gymnastics since there aren't as many events to train. Many times, TnT gyms will allow kids to decide if they only want to compete 1, 2 or all three events...

Thanks msl529! You can look for her on sethnjadensmom or search jaden elite tumbling. I don't know how to attach my youtube on here.

Thanks msl529! You can look for her on sethnjadensmom or search jaden elite tumbling. I don't know how to attach my youtube on here.
Oh, that's too funny! I saw her videos yesterday when I was searching You Tube for 'Power Tumbling', and I thought, hmmm, I wonder if that's Jamarie's dd?! She looks great! Seems like a lot of fun, we are definitely going to inquire about it at dd's current gym.

Ok, another question about it. What are the team costs/coaching fees, as compared to artistic? I realize it's different @ different gyms, but can anyone give me a ballpark figure?

I'm not sure what the norm is, but I can tell you what we pay at the small gym my daughter goes to. For team members it is about $105 per month and that is for 2.5-3.5 hours per week. That also includes our coaching fees for all meets (usually around 10 meets per season). I know some clubs DO have a coaching fee. We pay our own meet entry fees which are $38 per meet for all three events. State is April 18-19, so I'm getting nervous!

Md t/t

Here in MD there are a few teams for T/T...we are @ Unique in Waldorf, Charles County; Mt Airey and I can't think of their gym's name; Fairland in the Laurel area.

Novak's is an Olympic hopeful gym and they are in Arlington, VA. Fabulous coaches!

We compete with other teams within our region, (6) and they come from PA, WV, VA, CT, DE, MD and I think one more state. It's a close knit group and so most parents/gymnasts get to know each other very quickly.

Boys compete with boys and girls with girls, except for synchro tramp, those can be same or mixed unless you are in the very high levels.

More in Maryland

Hi,
In addition to those listed (Unique, Skyview in Mt. Airy, and Fairland in Laurel) there is also United Gymnastix in Reisterstown where my son goes. Their coach is a former world champion from Belarus (first to ever do a triple back on floor). He is great.

Also in Maryland is Preston Gymnastics in upper Montgomery county, Silver Stars in Silver Spring, and Dynamite Gymnastics in Rockville. Hopefully I'm not missing any others. All of these gyms do USAG T&T.

-Karen

Here in MD there are a few teams for T/T...we are @ Unique in Waldorf, Charles County; Mt Airey and I can't think of their gym's name; Fairland in the Laurel area.

Novak's is an Olympic hopeful gym and they are in Arlington, VA. Fabulous coaches!

We compete with other teams within our region, (6) and they come from PA, WV, VA, CT, DE, MD and I think one more state. It's a close knit group and so most parents/gymnasts get to know each other very quickly.

Boys compete with boys and girls with girls, except for synchro tramp, those can be same or mixed unless you are in the very high levels.

hi i do 6-7 hours a week tramplining and 5 of gymnastics and do both competitivly i do think that the help each other but the can also hinder

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back