"Tanikini" style leos?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Just got an email the Discount Dance Supply is starting to carry GK Elite stuff (my other daughter is a dancer, which is why I get the DDS emails). The prices didn't seem to be particularly "discount" to me, but I noticed a trend towards the 2 piece leos, both "bikini-like" leos and "tankini-like" leos. Not sure if there's a more official name for them or not. I know DD wouldn't wear the bikini style leo because she doesn't feel comfortable in binkinis and will only wear 1-piece swim suits (if I had abs like hers... well, whatever. I should be happy that she doesn't enjoy showing lots of skin, right?) but some of the 2-piece "tankini" types are cute. Not that we're in the market for any new leos, but I was wondering if any gymnasts out there have 2 piece leos or parents have gymnasts with 2-piece leos and what they think of them? Is there an issue with the tops riding up? I would think that might be annoying.

I've never heard of gymnasts wearing two-piece leos. The local competitive dancers though, wear them exclusively. Maybe they are targeting dancers??

Some college gymnasts work out in sports bras and shorts (or sports bra and leo's pulled down, not a classy look). I like the look of the tankini style and think they would be easier to deal put on and take off. I think there have been discussions on here about a certain brand.

You may need to check with her coach to see if they would be allowed.

Also, when I needed (ok wanted) new fun shoes to volunteer in I found black sequined sneakers (brand name Gotta Flurt) from Discount Dance Supply, they are so cute and the price was reasonable. Its nice to have a little bling on my volunteer clothes at the children's hospital.

Check with her gym and talk to your DD. My gym doesn't allow them for competitive girls. Also your DD may not like it, if you do decide to get one, I would suggest getting a cheaper one to start out with and only one as she may not like it. It is pretty much the same as wearing a tank top and shorts but more spandexey (don't think thats a word but it makes sense to me)

Some older gymnasts workout in tight fitting athletic tank tops and shorts (just watch a training video of an NCAA team and you'll most likely see what I mean) which I imagine would be much the same. They don't seem to cause a problem in those settings, but it might take some degree of trial and error to find a style and fit that doesn't ride up on the stomach or get bunched up in places. Some gyms also have rules about two-piece style leotards you might want to check into. I don't see a problem with them as long as the fit is right and the gymnast is covered.

Two piece "leos" were really in for a while when my older daughter was a young teenager. They definitely did show the girls abs! I don't remember there being any issues with the tops riding up or other problems. The bottoms were more like the little workout shorts kids wear and there really wasn't much of a gap between the top and the bottom. Not sure what the ones you are talking about look like though.

My daughter has one and loves it! She is extremely sensitive to seams and fit of clothing. She hates socks and refuses to wear them unless there is snow on the ground. (She didn't even wear socks with her softball cleats!) I wish I could find her a couple of more 2 piece leos, but I basically lucked up on the one she has. I found it on ebay. The only regular leos that she wears are the nylon ones because of the way the velvet and lycra ones fit--too tight against her skin is what she says. The one she wears has spaghetti straps, but they aren't too tight. The bottoms are almost like a micro mini pair of bar shorts, but a bit looser. The top is long and covers the edge of the shorts. She has never had any trouble with it riding up. She likes that it's not too tight around the legs and the shoulders. She is a skinny minnie--not sure this suit would be loose on others (she is almost 10 and weighs right at 50 pounds). She has a long torso though, so to get a regular gym suit to fit in length is tough for my sensitive dd. I'm not sure that our gym would allow the 2 piece leos where the tummy shows, but they didn't say anything about this one and she wears it at least once a week.

The gyms we've been in haven't allowed 2 piece leos so I would check with your gym before purchasing it.

In Australia the crop top/sports bra with shorts is very popular amongst gymnasts, mainly because it gets so hot! I find them very comfortable and haven't ever had a problem with them. Normally I pair the crop top/sports bra with gk shorts and its perfect for those hot summer days. The only problems I can foresee are gymnasts not liking their stomachs on display. My coaches have been able to spot me fine with two piece leotards but maybe thats because I don't pull out but if I did there wouldn't be much to grab if I was to pull out but overall I prefer them to leotards

When I went back and looked at them again, they were actually billed as "cheer" leos... Probably explains why I've never seen such a thing in the gym. They were cute though... Different. As many different types of leos as there are out there, they all start to look the same after awhile. But truly DD does NOT need any more leos! it's probably a good thing that none of them look all that exciting to me any more.

We don't allow them at our gym for the competitive girls. It's not like it's really warm enough here anyway! The reason being, none of our coaches likes supporting bare skin! OK, legs I can cope with but not torso!
There was a time when they were REALLY popular - about 6 years ago but most leo companies here have limited designs now and they are much less popular thank goodness!

DD wanted one when she first started gymnastics. I had a hard time finding one in her size, she was only 6 yrs old, but then got one on Ebay.It was an older GK one. Then I called the GK outlet store and got her the velvet shorts and found a velvet matching sports bra top. She wore them to death! I sure got my $$ worth. At level 6/7 now and 10 yrs old she would NOT wear one.Maybe at home to play in house and do handstands, but not in gym. She prefers the added cushin of the material I think for bars especially. She alsoaused to be a bare it all bikini girl, but she has grown quit conservitive in her old age. She does dive team in Summer and wants only 1 peice suits for dive team and beach too. Boogie boarding and wearinga bikini just wasn't comfortable. I have also seen some 2 pieces pop up on leotard sites and wondered the same thing, if they was a new trend coming in!

These are popular in our gym and very comfortable in the summer as we dont have A/C. The girls wear the cheer tops that GK sells over a sports bra (if needed) and gymnastics shorts. GK's do not ride up, they have very good elastic around the bottom. Motionwear 2 pieces are popular with the younger girls bc they have fun prints and colors, and are less expensive than GK. We do not have a rule against them and our girls seem to really like them. The new 4's and 5's do get their belly's scratched when doing bent arm FHC and bent arm kips though.

We haven't had any issue with "exposure" unlike the leos with the large cut-out in the back which is easy to accidentally get your pinky caught in spotting and has been nicknamed the "moon-a-tard" ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back