Teaching Preschoolers?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I teach dance and in the creavtive movement (3-5y/o) class, my "boss" has asked if I could incorperate a little gymnastics (I've done a little, not competative or anything) into class. It would just be easy floor stuff like forward rolls ect. we have mats. Do you have any tips/suggestions? Thanks :)

I teach dance and in the creavtive movement (3-5y/o) class, my "boss" has asked if I could incorperate a little gymnastics (I've done a little, not competative or anything) into class. It would just be easy floor stuff like forward rolls ect. we have mats. Do you have any tips/suggestions? Thanks :)

A good start is by teaching gymnastics shapes
-tuck
-pike
-straddle
-pencil (standing arms straight up)
-lunge
-table or crab
-rainbow or tunnel
-slide
-plank or front support on hands (push-up position)
-squat

You can play simon says, have them guess what you are doing, go through them slowly and super duper fast...something to keep it fun.

I would move on to locomotor skills and animal walks after that:
-bear walks (hands and feet with straight legs)
-flamingo walks (hands on shoulders, passe walks)
-giraffe walks (kick walks)
-bunny hops
-donkey kicks
-froggy jumps
-crab walks
-kangaroo jumps
-monkey (sideways on hands and feet)
-skipping

You can have the kids guess which animal walk you are doing...or describe an animal and have them guess before you demonstrate. I also like to play "What's the time Mrs. Wolf" and use the different walks.

Forward rolls are relatively safe to teach if you have a wedge mat. Just remember to have them tuck their heads and spot from the hips.

Cartwheel progressions can be started at this age with a small mat. Have them stand on one side, hands on the mat and jump to the other side.

Hope this helps a little bit.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back