Parents Team fees?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cathiann

Just wondering if your team charges an annual team fee? Our annual team registration day is coming up June 1st and we have to pay the team fee then--it's $450 at our gym.

What is this $450 for? We only get one bill a year and that covers everything but leos and warm ups, if a child qualifies to Provincials those meet fees are extra.

What is the Team fee for? We don't have a Team fee at my dds gym. Twice a year we get an acount review. The 1st review comes in the fall. It includes an estimate of what the upcoming meet season is expected to cost (meet fees, coaches' fees to accompany team, etc.), any $ in dds booster account. We are expected to pay the estimate in the fall (can use the booster $ for this). THEN in the spring, after the season is over, we get a 2nd review with a detailed list of the actual cost of the season (meet fees, coaches' fees, etc) and any further funds collected in dds booster account. If the 1st revies estimate was higher than the actual cost, the difference is put into dds booster account, and if the 1st review was lower than the actual cost (2nd review), then we pay the difference.

The only team fee we has is the annual registration fee of $25, same as any rec. class kid. This is where we sign the liabilty waiver that all kids at the gym must sign. If your registration fee is simply that, a registration fee, that is way out of line. If your registration fee is being used for coaches fees & meet fees during the season, then it's understandable. I really like our account review system though. I like knowing where my money is going. Our old gym randomly charged $ and we were never allowed to ask what the $ was used for. It may have all been on the up and up, but it always made the parents feel like the owners were trying to milk team parents out of more money than was being actually spent on team. Not saying that that was acutally happening, but the way they went about it wasn't conducive to building trust, and always made the parents uneasy.

Hope this helps.

$460 if you pay in May. $500 if you pay in June. Not really sure what it is for. I think it is for coaches expenses for meets, training, etc.... Isn't it funny :confused: that we pay this large of a fee and don't really know what it is for? The things we do for our kids!!!!!!!

Yup we have in addition to the montly tuition a $180 annual registration fee which we just paid on the 8th of May ( think this covers the insurance costs) then for June July and Aug we have to pay a $200 extra each month so there is $600 in our child's Team Account at the start of Sept to pay for meets and coaches fees for meets.

We don't have team fees. We just sign a contract in September and pay either month to month or in one lump sum. Our monthly cost is about $350/month. We also have a mandatory fundraising amount that runs from Sept. 1-Aug. 31. If you don't meet it within that time period you have to pay in. The fundraising seems quite daunting ($2,000 for the year) but it adds up quick. They give you so many opportunities to reach that goal. If you go over it, they apply a percentage to your fee for the following season. The $2,000 isn't what we actually have to raise. The fundraising credit is dollar-for-dollar and the gym only takes in 50% of that.

If you're being assessed that fee as a "team fee" I'd find out exactly what it's going towards. They want that money you have a right to know where it's going!

Our gym has us pay a $250 team fee in the summer(old gym charged $200). We are told it is to help cover expenses in repairing equipment since the team girls are the ones that use it the most. Right now, our booster club has enough money that they pay for all the team girls. We're supposed to add 12 more compulsory kids to team which will take us over 50 in the team program. Don't know that booster club will be able to pay for all this stuff next year.

We don't have team fees. We just sign a contract in September and pay either month to month or in one lump sum. Our monthly cost is about $350/month. We also have a mandatory fundraising amount that runs from Sept. 1-Aug. 31. If you don't meet it within that time period you have to pay in. The fundraising seems quite daunting ($2,000 for the year) but it adds up quick. They give you so many opportunities to reach that goal. If you go over it, they apply a percentage to your fee for the following season. The $2,000 isn't what we actually have to raise. The fundraising credit is dollar-for-dollar and the gym only takes in 50% of that.

If you're being assessed that fee as a "team fee" I'd find out exactly what it's going towards. They want that money you have a right to know where it's going!

wish we could do fundraising but our gym says absolutly not. They use to have a booster club that did do fundraising but about 8 years ago they went way out of bounds and the owners disolved it at the gym. (another long story) After that mess the owners said never again.

wish we could do fundraising but our gym says absolutly not. They use to have a booster club that did do fundraising but about 8 years ago they went way out of bounds and the owners disolved it at the gym. (another long story) After that mess the owners said never again.

The fundraising is not run by a booster club in our gym. We don't have one. It's managed by a couple of parents who have girls that aren't even in the gym any more. They graduated and are off at college now. The fundraising is mandatory for team families. It's how they raise their money (aside from having at-home meets) and keep their fees from going up. I think they tried a booster club years ago but it didn't work out. How does your club make money to run the gym? How big is your gym?

Hi Netty... I was just wondering how they make the fundraising mandatory, esp. since there isn't a Booster Club? We've been fighting for our Tax Exempt status for about a year now. It is so frustrating for the same 20 families to be doing all the work re: fundraising, planning for the home meets, etc., and yet, according to federal tax law, every family has to benefit from any money that's raised!. Now there's talk about possibly dissolving the Booster Club due to lack of volunteers.... yet, if there was a way to fundraise W/O that umbrella organization, I'd really love to hear the details!!!

Obviously, no booster club means our fees will go sky high!

Back to the original post tho.... our gym charges a 100.00 "membership" fee, and then there's another 55.00 "registration fee" and of course the USAG membership fee which will be due in what, August, I believe? So that's a total of over 200.00 right there. Then we just got notice that there's 2 weeks of "required" team camp during the summer at another 220.00 per week (that's in addition to our 325.00 tuition!) I know there's a quiet riot going on right now!

The fundraising is not run by a booster club in our gym. We don't have one. It's managed by a couple of parents who have girls that aren't even in the gym any more. They graduated and are off at college now. The fundraising is mandatory for team families. It's how they raise their money (aside from having at-home meets) and keep their fees from going up. I think they tried a booster club years ago but it didn't work out. How does your club make money to run the gym? How big is your gym?

All monies come from my dying money tree :(

There is no fundraising at all monies for the gym either come from tuition of the money they collect to hold in each team girls account.

That booster issue was SOOOOO bad that the owners said never again. We have asked a few times if we could do fundraising using the gyms name but no luck getting approval yet. Its amazing how a few power hungry parents years ago can ruin it for the rest of us now.

Always interesting to read these threads.

DDs old gym didn't have team fees each year. You paid into the booster club the first year, depending on what level you came into the gym level 4s paid the least and level 10s the most. Booster club got 10% of all fundraising. We also had many fees we had to pay through out the year if you couldn't get it donated or fundraised that totalled about $250/year (concessions donations $50/meet, yearbook $100, various raffle ticket sales, etc). Booster club covered the costs of coaches fees and team meet entry fees, plus 10% of the meet fees for each girl. It was great, but it was a lot of participation, mandatory booster club meetings each month, etc. Meets averaged about $70-75. Plus you had to work about 25 hours at the 2 yearly meets that were hosted.

DDs new gym has a yearly assessment fee that covers the coaches fees, refurbing gym equipment, etc. No booster club. Fundraising is fine if you go through the owner/HC and she approves it. This year, fall assessments are $200, if they compete spring season, will be $115. Meets average $95/meet. Once a year parents meeting. Working at meets that gym hosts gets you money into your account to pay for tuition or meets, but not mandatory.

No additional team fees here, we pay our monthly fees--to be $200 a month for summer 12(13) hours a week and $17 for ballet. For each meet we have a meet fee of $100 to $150 depending on where the meet is and what the entry cost is. We have no booster club, so no fund raising. I truely like it this way. I have a separate checking account that I put a portion of each check into. So I have the money when I need it.

Barb

What is the Team fee for? We don't have a Team fee at my dds gym. Twice a year we get an acount review. The 1st review comes in the fall. It includes an estimate of what the upcoming meet season is expected to cost (meet fees, coaches' fees to accompany team, etc.), any $ in dds booster account. We are expected to pay the estimate in the fall (can use the booster $ for this). THEN in the spring, after the season is over, we get a 2nd review with a detailed list of the actual cost of the season (meet fees, coaches' fees, etc) and any further funds collected in dds booster account. If the 1st revies estimate was higher than the actual cost, the difference is put into dds booster account, and if the 1st review was lower than the actual cost (2nd review), then we pay the difference.

The only team fee we has is the annual registration fee of $25, same as any rec. class kid. This is where we sign the liabilty waiver that all kids at the gym must sign. If your registration fee is simply that, a registration fee, that is way out of line. If your registration fee is being used for coaches fees & meet fees during the season, then it's understandable. I really like our account review system though. I like knowing where my money is going. Our old gym randomly charged $ and we were never allowed to ask what the $ was used for. It may have all been on the up and up, but it always made the parents feel like the owners were trying to milk team parents out of more money than was being actually spent on team. Not saying that that was acutally happening, but the way they went about it wasn't conducive to building trust, and always made the parents uneasy.

Just got our 2nd review, our actual cost for 6 meets -meet fees (between $70-$100 entrance for each), coaches' fees (traveling expense) all came to $878.74 for the year at Level 5. This did not include and leo, warm-up orders. Our monthly fee for Level 5 - 13hrs. week - is $195 month. We have a great booster club. All money earned in fundraising -100% - goes into my dds account. The gym does not keep any profit from her fundraising, whatever she earns is hers. We also earn money for any meet we work, $ for each session worked. Working is not mandatory, but encouraged. Plenty of opportunity to earn money in fundraising. We do a scrip program yr round, and also several fundraisers. Even after paying this years's fees, dd has over $700 built up in her account for the next years fees. This system really works great and builds good will between owner/parents. I love to see the yr end review detailing where the $ is spent. No questions about where did my $ go? Creates trust in the gym management when it's all laid out for us to understand. That way no misunderstandings happen.

Our gym has 2 separate fees tutition and then each level pays additional money towards the booster club which goes to everything else, there is a monthly payment schedule. Our yearly booster fees start at 700.00 and goes up according to level I think level 8 is 1600.00. Everybody has to run one fundraiser with another family or pay a 500. fine. You can choose to participate in as many fundraiser as you choose each one gives you a percentage off your booster fee. I know I tried to do alittle of each one and it more than paid for my whole fee but my daughter fee was only 750. this year. The booster fees pays for meet fees, coaches attending meets and their travel expenses,it also pays for part of the older girls plane fares to travel to meets. Any money you raise over the fee can be applied to summer tution, I actually have half of my summer tutition paid for. I was overwhelmed when my daughter joined the team but it has been really well run with the booster club and fundraising. The booster club also earns money by hosting a meet and selling leotards. They paid last year for the competion leotard, the banquet, USAG memberships and even coaches gifts. So once you pay your monthly tutition and booster fees you are pretty much done.

We have a GYM registration fee yearly that covers insurance which is $275 per year per team member ($325 if you have more than 1 on team).

We have a booster club - no annual fee but certain fundraisers are "mandatory" which I say very loosely interpreted because people always come up with excuses of why they cannot participate.

We each put in $500 to start off the year, as your child(ren) uses up the $ for meets, coaching fees, leos, warmups... you have to replenish your account as the money is depleted. The initial $ is due by Sept 15th. Usually it ends up being closer to $1000 1200-per child by the time you make additional deposits. We pay only for the individual meets, not covering all meets for all levels like some gyms do by charging a flat fee to all.

I pay monthly tuition and monthly coaches fees, year round. In addition, in August we have the USAG fee, July is usually when Comp Leo/warm up money is due.

Meets, I pay for as they come up and they must be paid for before she can compete. Any travelling is paid out of pocket.

We have no booster club and do no fund raising. Us team parents do have a gently used leo sale the end of September. If I am lucky, I might get 1 meet fee paid. :rolleyes:

$460 if you pay in May. $500 if you pay in June. Not really sure what it is for. I think it is for coaches expenses for meets, training, etc.... Isn't it funny :confused: that we pay this large of a fee and don't really know what it is for? The things we do for our kids!!!!!!!

I think that's what our fee is for as well, but I'm not positive!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back