Parents Team Hairstyles

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Try to find a pageant Mom ... There is Something that the pageant kids use for curls, I know you can start with dry hair too ... It's in the black (ethnic) hair section that will hold the curls really tight ... Then spray with TONS of hair spray...

As a former dancer, I know 27+ different ways to restrain hair of all types and textures and lengths to make them indestructible and immovable for performances. I know all the tips and tricks and equipment too (ASIDE: the corkscrew pin or spin pin is a MIRACLE invention). Now that I'm a gym mom, I know even more! I just wanted to commiserate with the original poster on this unreasonable hair requirement from her gym. My only recommendation is to see if the coaches could make an exception for your DD given the amount of time and effort it takes you to conform to the required hairstyle. Good luck!

If you happen to find out the name of this curl holding product, please post and let me know. I tried searching the web, but I haven't stumbled across it yet.

As a former dancer, I know 27+ different ways to restrain hair of all types and textures and lengths to make them indestructible and immovable for performances. I know all the tips and tricks and equipment too (ASIDE: the corkscrew pin or spin pin is a MIRACLE invention). Now that I'm a gym mom, I know even more! I just wanted to commiserate with the original poster on this unreasonable hair requirement from her gym. My only recommendation is to see if the coaches could make an exception for your DD given the amount of time and effort it takes you to conform to the required hairstyle. Good luck!

If you would like to start a thread with all 27+ ways (or even just the top 10), I know that those of us who are hair-challenged would sure like to hear them! Also, I've seen those spin pins... I guess because I didn't understand how they work, and never had anyone tell me that they work, I've never gotten one. They hold buns together, right? And you don't need an advanced degree in hair stuff to make them work?

As to the OP, it seems like the reason to have all the girls have the same hairstyle is because it's FUN! It seems like anything that takes that much time and effort isn't going to be fun for anybody.

If you happen to find out the name of this curl holding product, please post and let me know. I tried searching the web, but I haven't stumbled across it yet.

After washing hair apply Motions Curl Wrap while hair is wet. Braid crown, and put hair into ponytail. If pony isn't dry, dry with hairdryer, then put in hot rollers (the bendy sticks that hook at the ends - like Conair hot sticks). Spray with hairspray, let cool completely, then unroll, then spray again with hairspray. Then you can spray with glitterspray. These curls look as good as the ones that the kids sleep on overnight, and last through a whole meet. The child whose mom does this has very fine, straight hair and it stays curled! (her sister is a pageant kid so the mom knows hair!)

I guess this all strikes me as weird b/c why are teams requiring PAGEANT HAIR!!!???!!! This is a sport- not a competition for the cutest kid. I really hope this is not the path that competitive gymnastics is beginning to go down- if mos are interested in pageants- sign your kid up for a pageant. Leave the pageant hair at the pageant.

I guess this all strikes me as weird b/c why are teams requiring PAGEANT HAIR!!!???!!! This is a sport- not a competition for the cutest kid. I really hope this is not the path that competitive gymnastics is beginning to go down- if mos are interested in pageants- sign your kid up for a pageant. Leave the pageant hair at the pageant.

I got the impression that people are telling the OP to check in with a pageant parent to get ideas about getting tight curls that hold, not that teams want pageant hair. JMO.

Do people with optional girls see this? This strikes me as more "cute little level 4" stuff than "serious gymnast" stuff (no offense intended to either cute little level 4's who are serious about their gymnastics or optional girls with fancy hair styles). Like hair glitter or whatever, it seems like this stuff is fine when it's FUN. Because it's a way for parents to be involved the the pre-meet activities or because the girl loves feeling like a million bucks or to make a team feel more team-like with their matching "do's" or whatever. I think that there's a problem if the sport becomes a beauty contest, where there's a perception that scores are somehow tied into who has the flashiest Leo or the best hairstyle.

Do people with optional girls see this? This strikes me as more "cute little level 4" stuff than "serious gymnast" stuff (no offense intended to either cute little level 4's who are serious about their gymnastics or optional girls with fancy hair styles). Like hair glitter or whatever, it seems like this stuff is fine when it's FUN. Because it's a way for parents to be involved the the pre-meet activities or because the girl loves feeling like a million bucks or to make a team feel more team-like with their matching "do's" or whatever. I think that there's a problem if the sport becomes a beauty contest, where there's a perception that scores are somehow tied into who has the flashiest Leo or the best hairstyle.

At DD's gym, the optional girls usually just go with a ponytail. But DD's gym doesn't go with the complicated hairstyles in compulsories either-buns only. I just attribute this to DD's HC. She's very "old school" Eastern European.

I am not really talking about pageant hair, I am talking about curls that stay.. You can do these Cheer curl style, or like I posted previously. Mostly, it's our level 4girls and our younger optional girls with the fancier hair. The older girls tend to go with just a ponytail, while the younger ones get really fancy. We don't have a team hairstyle so the girls tend to express themselves with their hair.

We did the curls with a super hot curling iron and pinned the curls while they cooled. These did stay (with the help of a lot of spray gel and hair spray). I'm going to hunt down the Motions Curl Wrap, because I think that not spraying the little sections will make it even faster. Thanks for all of the tips!

I do think that the thought behind the hairstyle is that the girls will look more put together and that the style is cute. The curls also shorten really long hair so that it's not in the way for the girls. I'm not a fan of the style, but I am so glad that you helped me find a way out of griping about it.

I don't think it is fair of the coach/gym to require such a complicated hairstyle. If this happened to me I would talk to the coach about a simpler hairstyle. I'm not a 'hair' mum and it already takes me about half an hour to put in plait rings or plait buns before a competition and I'm not at my best at 7 in the morning. We don't have a team hairstyle, but all the girls have to have neat hair, and most do something nice like plait rings or two buns, that isn't too complicated. I don't know how to do french plaits. It is a sport, not a parents' hairdressing competition.

Fortunately my dd's gym only requires that hair be pulled away from the face. If it's not an 8am meet, I usually french braid dd's hair in 2 braids. If it's an 8am, then I have to her hair the night before, and we go with something simpler. My dd also has long, very thick hair, and we've done the curly pony before. It takes me a couple packages of small foam rollers and at least an hour because I gel and roll small amounts at a time. My dd really likes her hair curly but fortunately now that she's 10, she isn't as crazy about it as she used to be. I would say that the hairstyle of choice at dd's gym right now is the french braid at the front of the hair and to the side to a ponytail. Some of the girls will curly their ponytail, but many just straighten it.

I would certainly ask the coach if the curly french braid style is required. It may just be that this is what most of the girls like right now so your dd and others want to go along with it. If it is required, you could try pointing out how long it takes to do your dd's hair and see if they are open to doing the braid/pony with straight hair instead. I 've never had much luck with a curling iron, but it sounds like several people here have given tips for making ringlets with it.

My daughters team required hair to be in a ponytail with ringlets. She had to sleep in curlers before a meet and if the meet involved an overnight hotel stay, she had to limit her pool time. She had very long thin hair and no matter what I did, the curls would fall out before the end of the meet. I finally bought a cheer curls hair piece and it made our life so much easier. I just put her hair in a bun and covered it with the hairpiece. I used lots of hairpins and it never fell out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back