Team uniforms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
So, I get that mens' uniforms are generally more boring than others, but I am wondering why teams don't wear their country colors. I know some do. And, I have not gone through all the countries to see, so I am sure there are other examples...but shouldn't the USA women wear something red/white/blue? The men wore blue...but the women wore pink (very pink ;)) Is there a reason for the different colors?

I am just curious..

I wanted to add that the red ones they wore in podium training were lovely! Why not wear something like that for competition? (Be gentle...I only have boys so the world of girls is foreign to me sometimes!)

I dislike the pink. I agree with skschlag, the red is lovely and looks amazing on each of them.

From what I saw on the manufacturer's facebook page the other day, the Brit girls look set to parade out in pink at some point, as well.

I wanted to add that the red ones they wore in podium training were lovely! Why not wear something like that for competition? (Be gentle...I only have boys so the world of girls is foreign to me sometimes!)
I totally agree that the pink and purple makes no sense. I hear Marta has a lot of influence on the uniforms and she likes pink and purple (look back the the Karolyi leotards.) Not sure why there is so little sense of the uniform representing the country.

I'm not a big fan of mesh on the leo either and this one has a fair amount of pink mesh.

Does it have anything to do with breast cancer? October is breast cancer month. I have seen a lot of sports teams wearing pink for awareness. Maybe?

I was thinking breast cancer too; but I seem to remember some pink in the 2012 Olympic Leos, so maybe it is just a decision maker likes pink.

Does it have anything to do with breast cancer? October is breast cancer month. I have seen a lot of sports teams wearing pink for awareness. Maybe?
could be why but you could very tastefully make a design with the pink ribbon incorporated and not have the entire leo pink. would not be at all sad if they forever did away with pink leos for the national team... I prefer some kind of use of red/white/blue. And some kind of design - not plain.

I am not sure who they were because I only caught a glimpse while they were videoing USA, but one of the countries had a really nice white/blue/greenish designed leo.

Nope, it really is all about what Marta chooses and she likes them in pink and purple.

I think the pink looked great! I do wonder if there is some psychological reason behind it? Like, it is neutralizing to the judges? Feminizing to the muscular athletes? or, certain colors make people happier than red, white and blue do? Kinda like restaurants choose certain colors because they make people hungry? lol.

Here is a photo of Kim Zmeskel's Karolyi leos:
Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 11.15.47 AM.png

But pink is better than this 80s USA leo!
Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 11.15.00 AM.png

Here's Mary Lou Retton in pink too:
Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 11.18.30 AM.png

I am not disagreeing that pink is a pretty color. ANd maybe those would have been fantastic podium training leos. But this is worlds and you are representing your country. So I am thinking something red, white, blue or even with USA on it would be nice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back