MAG Teams

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
How are your teams/gyms surviving this? Boys gym is already so small, it is so scary when any gym has issues.

As far as I know, we have not lost any boys, but have gained at least 1 new one from a gym not able to support their team any longer. While we are excited for the new member, it is always sad to lose a team.

How are your teams?

Our gym was forced to close. Very sad for everyone. Most boys seem to have already found a new home (many gyms in our area are starting practices this week), but are all scattering to different gyms. I don't know of any who are quitting yet, but I suspect maybe a few. This has been a trying few months.

Our gym was forced to close. Very sad for everyone. Most boys seem to have already found a new home (many gyms in our area are starting practices this week), but are all scattering to different gyms. I don't know of any who are quitting yet, but I suspect maybe a few. This has been a trying few months.

Oh that is sad. I have been there so I know how hard that is. Keep us posted on how your guy is doing!

He is very excited to start practice this week, so I hope that "dulls" the pain of no longer being with all of his teammates. Thankfully, we were able to follow his coach to the new gym, and I think several of his teammates are joining us there.

He is very excited to start practice this week, so I hope that "dulls" the pain of no longer being with all of his teammates. Thankfully, we were able to follow his coach to the new gym, and I think several of his teammates are joining us there.

Oh that is great! That definitely helps :)

DS starts back today, and based on the schedule it looks like most of the compulsory boys will be back. Not sure about the optionals.

My boy just graduated, but at least one of his former teammates has quit. Not a huge surprise with this particular kid though. Once the gym reopens, it will be interesting to see if most of the boys return.

We lost 4 compulsory and 3 Optionals. (Out of 28). None were Covid related, but the break helped them re-evaluate their gymnastics career.

We had a big drop-off last year (from 60 to 42) but most of the ones who left, it was somewhat predictable that they weren't in it for the long haul. Even with all the craziness I don't think we are losing any this year due to those "on the fence" already leaving last year. 3 have mentioned they are unsure when they will feel comfortable returning but the rest all seem eager to restart! I think our coach is more hesitant to bring new little ones up to team this year with all of the unknowns so it's possible we won't have growth in the lower levels like we usually do.

I know of 2 on our team that I am not sure will be back. Both are rising 9th graders who were hoping to be on the HS teams for different sports, so this was their last year. However, since nobody knows if there will be HS sports in the fall, if there is only gymnastics they might stick around. We still don’t have a return date, and I can’t see having the huge meets we usually go to. Kind of looking at this year as a chance to just build skills and then hit Level 10 solid in 2021.

We lost our boys program. It was small, so it was hard to find a coach. My son is starting a new gym, and has so much anxiety over leaving his old coach. One of the boys on our team won't come back into the gym until August/September at the earliest. The other team member is looking for a new gym, but the commutes are hard around here.

We start back next week with 2 days/2 hours to ease the kids back in. I know of 2 that we have lost. My Son talks about quitting, but have told him 4 months at regular full training before we allow a decision. Before Covid shut down, he never thought about quitting. He is also a 12yo in the middle of a growth spurt and puberty.

We start back next week with 2 days/2 hours to ease the kids back in. I know of 2 that we have lost. My Son talks about quitting, but have told him 4 months at regular full training before we allow a decision. Before Covid shut down, he never thought about quitting. He is also a 12yo in the middle of a growth spurt and puberty.

Those growth spurts are brutal! THey really take a toll on their bodies. Hope he comes back strong :)

After the first week back in the gym, the owner contacted us last night to let us know she intends to eliminate the boys program effective 1 July. Tough business decision I’m sure. Some boys will find other programs, but for some the drive or other will cause them to drop the sport. Like all things during seismic economic shifts, that which was already fragile starts to exhibit cracks in the foundation and only the big/strong survive. It’s so sad for the sport, coaches and athletes caught in the rubble.

After the first week back in the gym, the owner contacted us last night to let us know she intends to eliminate the boys program effective 1 July. Tough business decision I’m sure. Some boys will find other programs, but for some the drive or other will cause them to drop the sport. Like all things during seismic economic shifts, that which was already fragile starts to exhibit cracks in the foundation and only the big/strong survive. It’s so sad for the sport, coaches and athletes caught in the rubble.

Oh no! I am so sorry :( We have been there. D's gym closed their boys' team when he was 13 and Level 9. And now they have a boys' program agian.

Many places think it is a sound business decision, but I will say that almost all the gyms here that have ended their boys' program have brought it back within a few years (including D's old gym).

I hope you have a close back up. So often when a boys' gym closes, the travel becomes hard. My son drives an hour each way now....

Our gym was shut for 11 weeks total. We have now been back 3 weeks and the boys team have survived it well. A lot of them were keen participants in zoom and the rest did resume once classes resumed. The boys are highly active and for them stopping spirts and activities was very hard, so they were very keen to get back in the gym when they could. Most other sports have not resumed and that also helps, I find that to be one of the biggest difficulties in keeping boys in the program. From a certain age the lure of team sports, takes them out of the gym and onto the playing fields.

Our team has done ok, we lost 3 these were expected one was unfortunate (but not altogether not unexpected). We did gain one. So all in all we held out ok. Our coach is old though (he turns 70 this year) and I am curious how our gym is going to hold out. I always knew my sons time on this team was limited b/c of the coach... I guess I am just hoping our gym makes it through ok b/c cutting our team would be an easy thing to do (i.e. small boys team + old coach).

Tinker Bell's gym is really a boys' gym with a small girls' team and a few rec classes. As long as the gym survives, the boys' program will survive.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back