Coaches Technique Discussion: Front Giants

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
What exactly is the tap on a front giant? The way I learned it was to hit a tight arch at the bottom and then hollow on the way up, though when compared to a back giant, it seems like the reverse would make more sense.

Why does this tap work?

Last edited:
I use the term extend. Extend on the way down and through the bottom...hollow up the back side. They will have a small shoulder break toward the top and then extend into a handstand. That doesn't sound right...can someone else help me describe what I'm trying to say?

Maybe an arm pull down on the bar on the back side...almost like doing a basic back uprise and then pushing it to a handstand?

Last edited:
But the question is why does this tap work? If you look at which direction you're pulling which parts of your body, it's exactly the opposite of what you do on a back giant. Of course, you still have the extension comming down and decreasing radius on the way up, but it still seems like it would make more sense to drive your heels.

JBS i think what you're trying to say is for the gymnast to have their body fully extended so they have no shoulder angle when going from handstand and falling...if you have a shoulder angle you're either a) not going to make it or b) peel off the bar (that's what I did).

I found that it's best to fall straight then hollow after the bottom and pike up over the top--not a huge pike (maybe at first but later more straight).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back