Welcome to our Gymnastics Discussion Community
555,589 messages... 44,515 topics... and 6,778 members
Join for FREE!
Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts!

Tell me about the underdogs

Carorainydays

Gymnast
Fan
Nov 8, 2020
Country
USA
Tell me about the girls who started late but made it
Tell me about the girls everyone thought was crazy
Tell me about the girls who made it to collegiate even though they were so far away
Tell me about the underdogs everyone shouldve rooted for or they did root for

Reactions: PinPin

TumbleTimes4

Proud Parent
Sep 13, 2016
Country
USA
My daughter was diagnosed with a mild form of femoral anteversion, which is an inward twisting of her femur bones. While her daily life is not impacted, it means that her legs are incapable of completely straightening and forming those beautiful lines that everyone loves to see from gymnasts. She will always be deducted for her lines and when she first started at level 3, was told she would probably max out at level 5, never being able to do Optionals. She has had to fight for every tenth and every skill, because she isn’t naturally talented.

This year she competed in her first level 6 meet and even managed to score in the top 3 on bars in the entire session, beating out some past state champions. She will compete level 7 next season, and she is training a few level 8 skills.

It’s not an Olympic Cinderella underdog story, but I’m proud of my little underdog and her drive to surpass the expectations placed on her. Her story won’t end with an Olympic medal or a college scholarship, but it will end with her knowing and testing when she has met her full potential and not because of someone’s estimate of when that potential would be met without providing the chance to exceed that.

I think you can realistic in expectations, but still work hard to see if you can surpass them. No one can fully predict the future. That’s why underdog stories exist.

John

Proud Parent
May 5, 2017
Country
USA
I'll play. My daughter started gymnastics at 5 in usaigc. Showed promise. At 10 I thought a move was called for and I found the chalk bucket, so much good advice. It was said usag would be tough and it is. She broke her elbow during covid-19 shutdown which forced a repeat of level 9 this year. She is back to herself, it took a while. She is training hard and pushing for new skills. This sport is very demanding sometimes I wonder if it's not what she wants for the next 8 years, she is in 8th grade, she should move on. She is mature enough now to think about her future. She asked if she could take ownership of my instagram, that was used to share gymnastics with her grandparents. It's now a college showcase. Only time will tell.

Eleven sol

Proud Parent
Aug 23, 2015
Country
USA
This is not an Olympic bound story either, by any means. My kid was always one of this kids who could do 3 events; she had leg strength, overall flexibility and dance as strengths but upper body strength/bars were not good. For years she couldn’t even do a proper pull-up and was stuck at xcel silver and then gold. Then something happened after puberty, she got immensely stronger. She got many bars skills within a couple years; it was exciting. She competed her first platinum meet this last weekend and qualified for state and was 2nd on beam and tied for highest score on floor. Bars still is her weak event after all those years of not being strong enough, but she’s enjoying it now and gaining steadily.

GYM0M

Proud Parent
Jul 23, 2013
How about a little 5 year old girl who started in her small town no-name gym with no elites and very few high level gymnasts who signed her National Team Handbook with these same coaches at this same gym 10 years later (yesterday, lol)!!

Lucia

Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Fan
Jun 6, 2019
Country
USA
How about a little 5 year old girl who started in her small town no-name gym with no elites and very few high level gymnasts who signed her National Team Handbook with these same coaches at this same gym 10 years later (yesterday, lol)!!
Yay! Congrats to her!!

Reactions: GYM0M