Parents Tell me it's going to be ok.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

WingingIt

Proud Parent
DD has been put into the level 3 training group (yay) from level 1 last year. Level 3's at our gym practice 11.5 hours a week. Apparently they are full on the days level 3s practice and are looking to hire a new coach so they can move the new level 3's up. In the meantime, they are practicing 6 hours a week, albeit with level 3 skills. I'm worried this is going to take forever (as everything seems to at this gym) and my DD is either going to be held back to 2 or silver or compete at a disadvantage because of less hours. They have given themselves a timeline of moving by September (hopefully sooner). Season starts in January. I feel like we're just stuck and if they don't come through, we're going to be set back by at least a year.

If it helps, it sounds like your DD is 5 months out from competition. At my DDs gym, the new level 3s don’t even move up until 4 months before competition. Prior to that they are in pre-team and only practicing 4-5 hours a week.

It also seems like fewer hours with a right sized group would be better than more hours with a group larger than they gym thinks a coach can effectively handle.

I hope they find a good coach for your DD in a reasonable time frame! If not, I still think it will probably be ok in the long run.

6 hours a week is acceptable for level 3 assuming they are ready for it. Probably doesn't leave time for a whole lot of extra but for the basic level 3 skills needed to compete 3, it's enough. I would make sure to arrive on time and attend as much as possible, of course. And I agree with the above poster about just adding more hours but in a very large group not really making a difference. It would just be more hours of waiting in line. At some group size you can't just infinitely be creating stations or the rotation times won't work out.

Reactions: sce
My dd was a level 3 last season, practising 8 hours a week. She has average talent and still managed to do pretty decent in competition, making it to provincials. There were 2 other girls in her age/ level that were in the 12 hour group, and she didn't seem to be at a disadvantage to them.
If she is willing, do conditioning and stretching at home with her. And handstands, lots of handstands! That will help make up for the lower hours.

Our team only practices 7.5 hours a week. We take all of July off and don't start back until August 6. We have girls moving up to Level 3 starting next week. The first meet is usually the beginning of November. Others moved up in May or June... That means no more than 5 months at 7.5 hours... and before that, they were only going 4 hours.
At Y Nationals this year, 2 of our Level 3s placed against girls who practice up to 12 hours a week... (including some from teams that compete a "fall season" and then train for Level 4 starting in January while still running level 3 routines occasionally).

IT IS GOING TO BE OKAY.

My daughter does 6 hours a week and is ready to put up 8s at meets (not fab but pretty solid) All level 3s only do 6 hours at her gym, but she does do a lot of home practice of handstands, presshandstands, and stretching. She’s 6 for reference.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back