WAG Temporary training facility announced

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We've flown to regionals 2 separate years in Bradenton and it was very easy and economical to fly to and drive from airport to surrounding area. Allegiant is very cheap, car rentals were very reasonable and there are LOTS of reasonable places to stay especially if you do a VBRO.

The current training facility at Flip Fest is an hour and a half drive from the Nashville airport, why they can't find a location closer to a major airport is beyond me! I did hear that the location at EVO will only be used for the national training camps for the time being, so the next couple of invite and devo camps and TOPS camps will continue to be held at Flip Fest in Tennessee.

I believe that there is an airport in Bradenton, but we’ve always just flown to Tampa as it was cheaper and had more options. Last spring for regionals it took me around 45 min to Bradenton from the airport (not a rush hour time) and an hour 20 ish back during morning rush. Not great but not horrible either- it’s about the time it takes to get from my home to the airport here ( which is in the same city!!) so maybe I’m just used to it?

It's between 5 and 15 minutes to travel from the Sarasota/Bradenton airport to Evo Athletics and IMG Academy. It's a 1 hour drive to those locations from TPA, but you can get non-stop flights. Orlando is about 2 hours, but with non-stop flights as well. Ft. Myers and PIE have non-stop flights from the east coast and MidWest. https://www.imgacademy.com/travel-and-planning

I understand one of the problems with the specific SoCal bid was the traffic. 15 miles can be 2 hours in LA.

There is no current funding to build in Indianapolis.

USOTC houses training facilities which are used more often by foreign teams than American, and the flight schedule into Colorado Springs is not ideal. It does have MAG and professionally-run dorms.

I don't know what happened to the bid north of Orlando. USA Golf and USA Tennis (?) train there and they had professional funding to support the bid, plus professionally run dorms.

Reactions: sce
I don't have a dog in this fight, but i do have some thoughts. First, flipfest is a good drive from the airport, but it is not a traffic aea. If it were in a major town - Atlanta, LA, etc, it could be 25 miles from the airport and still be more than .one hour drive due to traffic. Second, also regarding FlipFeat, one serious advantage I assume is that they can be the only ones there. There is no issue of a gym having to figure out how to work team and rec schedules around the national team.

As for why isn't it central or swapping? I seem to remember a post on here where people were up in arms about Nationals being in the same (central) location every year. Also, there is a difference in cost for the Midwest, vs East Coast (not NY ) and West Coast. A hotel in most of CA is going to cost more than a comparable hotel in the Midwest or east coast (except NYC), even in FL.

Personally, IMO, central makes sense.

Location was/is a serious consideration of USAG, but ultimately the dorms need to be professionally-managed and safe, the NTC sponsor needs VERY deep pockets, and the airport needs to be close with non-stop flights.

As for why isn't it central or swapping? I seem to remember a post on here where people were up in arms about Nationals being in the same (central) location every year.
As I recall, part of the objection was that it was going to be run by USAG and that this coming year, it will be later than usual because they couldnt get their chosen venue for the "normal" time.
THAT plus the travel costs every year would be the burden of the same areas.

As I recall, part of the objection was that it was going to be run by USAG and that this coming year, it will be later than usual because they couldnt get their chosen venue for the "normal" time.
THAT plus the travel costs every year would be the burden of the same areas.

Some of that sounds like legit concern, but there was also a bit of, "it isnti fair!" In that discussion too. LOL

It's between 5 and 15 minutes to travel from the Sarasota/Bradenton airport to Evo Athletics and IMG Academy. It's a 1 hour drive to those locations from TPA, but you can get non-stop flights. Orlando is about 2 hours, but with non-stop flights as well. Ft. Myers and PIE have non-stop flights from the east coast and MidWest. https://www.imgacademy.com/travel-and-planning

I understand one of the problems with the specific SoCal bid was the traffic. 15 miles can be 2 hours in LA.

There is no current funding to build in Indianapolis.

USOTC houses training facilities which are used more often by foreign teams than American, and the flight schedule into Colorado Springs is not ideal. It does have MAG and professionally-run dorms.

I don't know what happened to the bid north of Orlando. USA Golf and USA Tennis (?) train there and they had professional funding to support the bid, plus professionally run dorms.
But the dorms are only for older than 12yo. Not ideal for developmental camps etc.

But the dorms are only for older than 12yo. Not ideal for developmental camps etc.
I wonder why they don’t have host families house the dev girls. Seems to me that would be more age-appropriate and less expensive. And if they rotated it between a few different gyms, the impact on existing program/training schedules could be minimal (or at least brief.) @LemonLime was a host family option (vs dorms) ever a consideration? Obviously families would need to be vetted but that’s the case regardless and common for any type of exchange program.

I wonder why they don’t have host families house the dev girls. Seems to me that would be more age-appropriate and less expensive. And if they rotated it between a few different gyms, the impact on existing program/training schedules could be minimal (or at least brief.) @LemonLime was a host family option (vs dorms) ever a consideration? Obviously families would need to be vetted but that’s the case regardless and common for any type of exchange program.

Idk. I think I'd be much more comfortable with dorms and appropriately vetted dorm/resident assistants, rather than a family I don't know who could have people coming and going while my kid is there.

Seems like the west coast always gets the shaft on National events. Rarely are big events held out here. So far for Nationals we've had to travel to Tulsa and Greensboro. And let's be real, Greensboro is not exactly airport friendly. So first I have to take ALL day to get to North Carolina, and then I have to drive another two hours to get from the airport to my hotel and my kid's supposed to be ready for training at 8am? Thanks. So we end up adding another day, another night in a hotel, another day with the rental car. Why can't we A)pick places in the middle of the country or B) alternate every other damned year???

My daughter is no longer in gym but in her current sport, the big meets/nationals are also in far flung places. We too had to go to Greensboro this year! No direct flights, flights costing $500 - and we are on the east coast! So no location is ever going to make everyone happy. (but a major city with easy travel access would be ideal!)

The current training facility at Flip Fest is an hour and a half drive from the Nashville airport, why they can't find a location closer to a major airport is beyond me! I did hear that the location at EVO will only be used for the national training camps for the time being, so the next couple of invite and devo camps and TOPS camps will continue to be held at Flip Fest in Tennessee.
But the drive from Nashville to Flip Fest really isn't bad in terms of traffic and Nashville is a pretty painless place to fly to/from. Flip Fest also has the added advantage of lodging facilities for coaches and athletes, a cafeteria, and spaces for downtime activities for the athletes. As far as all of the summer gym camps that can offer all of this, Flip Fest is the most centrally located and easy to get to.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back