WAG Terrible meet....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

H

Hanada

So, today I competed as a national open(kind of like level 10) at gymnix. My coach had quit 2 weeks prior and hasn't been in the gym more than 2 days a week for months prior to that, leaving me with a coach(whom I love, but..) has only ever coached about p2 skills(like level 4ish). Anyways, I was feeling confident going into this meet, but my all around score was only 26!!! My first event was vault, which was great-I scored a 12.56 I think. But after that I fell twice on bars leaving me with a 5.16. I thought I had shaken it off when we moved to beam but I fell off 3 times and once on my dismount. I scored a 2.35 :( And to top it all off, on floor I under rotated my double twist, so my last pass (a one and a half that I sat down:( ) didn't get credit and I scored a 5 something.. So disapointed in how my first national meet turned out.. I guess I was missing requirements and really shaky! At least I can only get better!Thanks for listening to my vent.

Are you sure you are in the right level? Even with falls, these scores seem incredibly low...I wouldn't compete in another similar type of competition until my coaching and skill set were sorted out...

Bookworm remember we use FIG scoring here, so three falls off beam and the lack of a decent start score due to incomplete skills it is very easy to get a 3! Hanada you did pretty well on vault and if you look at your difficulty scores you will see they are low, chances are you fell and lost the difficulty and connections and that really kills your score. Talk to whoever is coaching you and get them to explain your results. They sound bad right now, but I am sure they are fixable. Shame I missed your comp, Gymnix was FUN.

Aw, I'm sorry. Just remember that everyone has bad days sometimes and with the coaching issues that has to be tough. You can only go hope from here, right?

Bog is spot on - here in Canada, in National Open, if you don't have a certain number of skills it can kill your start value - on bars, for example, if you have below a certain number, you are scored out of six, and not ten.......so even if your deductions are minimal, your score is still going to be very low. And yes, every fall is a full point......

Bog is spot on - here in Canada, in National Open, if you don't have a certain number of skills it can kill your start value - on bars, for example, if you have below a certain number, you are scored out of six, and not ten.......so even if your deductions are minimal, your score is still going to be very low. And yes, every fall is a full point......

This was kind of my point...if her start values are out of a six, is she ready to compete at the level she was in? I feel bad for the OP because it didn't seem like she had the tools she needed...

And Bog, I figured it was a FIG type of scoring but it still seemed really low, but I did forget falls were a whole point (yikes!) so that makes a lot more sense..

1. Great that you are competing at this level -- give yourself some credit. I'm sure you've hit those routines a million times in practice. You can do this. Six falls = six points even before you start thinking about lost connections, SVs, etc., which adds up to a much higher AA based on the skills that you already have.

2. Even more amazing that you made it to this meet with minimal to no coaching.

3. I hope you get a new high level coach soon, because it sounds like you have the potential to be terrific. Keep your chin up! Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies guys! Bookworm, to be honest, we tried to move me down to p5 for this meet because I wasn't feeling confident (this was about in December) but it was too late.. We are trying to figure out a coaching situation as well, crossing my fingers it works out!

It happens, unfortunately. My last National level meet, I had two falls plus a wardrobe malfunction that resulted in me having the second lowest score of the competition on my best event. :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back