Testing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I got my phone call... :)

Head coach apparently spotted her in training yesterday and thought she was doing very well. So DD is now being tracked until the end of this term, with a view to starting in their development program then - definitely before the end of the year :)

Good Job! When is the end of term? The end of the year is a long way off.

Yay! Good stuff!
Now you won't be so worried about the next time you need to speak to the head coach! :)

End of term is at end of April. DD won't be 5 by then, either, so they might keep her in "Fungym" until July, when her birthday comes around. Not sure what's going to happen - but it's nice to know that it wasn't just me going all CGM and that the Head Coach thinks she has potential too!

So I got my phone call... :)

Head coach apparently spotted her in training yesterday and thought she was doing very well. So DD is now being tracked until the end of this term, with a view to starting in their development program then - definitely before the end of the year :)

Well done, see ... it wasn't all the bad was it.

Update from me...

Well, today at gym, DD was pulled aside and put through what looked like an assessment of sorts. She had to hang in an L on the bars, and a tuck, and pull her chin up to the bars. Then, they made her sit and touch her toes, and then do what she calls a "straddle pancake" (sit in straddle, chest flat to the floor). She did all this easily, except struggled with the chin-up. I have seen her do one before, but she's just getting over a cold, so maybe was just not up to full strength today.

Then, for the rest of the class, they were getting her to do things the other kids weren't doing - like walking backwards on high beam up on her toes (and once while rolling a hoop!), "walking" on her hands while she did a handstand against the wall (she managed 10 steps on her hands), doing a proper run-up to the springboard and a straight jump off, and doing a cartwheel on the flat floor rather than over the block. I heard a few "wows" coming from the coaches, so she must have done okay lol...

Anyway, I'm not sure if that was her formal assessment or not, or if she passed what they were looking for. But it gave me a proud mama moment, and it made her feel proud of herself, which was the best part of all :)

...and you didn't get a chance to get nervous about it! :)

Well done. Sounds like she did a great job.

Thank you :)

It was kind of extra cool, too, because her coaches yesterday didn't know about her being tracked, and so they just picked her out based on what they saw in class. Our gym is a bit weird in that it is spread out over three locations (one central and two satellite gyms), and she goes to two of them - one for her rec class, and one for the homeschool gym class, which is only held at the central location. So it was nice to know she was spotted by these coaches, as well as the coaches at the other gym too! Makes me feel a bit less like I was being a pushy psycho lol

I got handed a letter today at the end of training, formally inviting DD to attend an assessment to join their development program :)

It's a 45 minute, one-on-one session, which will be a big deal for her (the one-on-one, not the 45 minutes!) - with a male coach. Also going to be a big deal, as she has selective mutism and rarely if ever speaks to men!

Can someone please tell me the sorts of activities she might expect to be asked to do, please? I am not going to physically "prep" her, or keep her trapped in the lounge room, praciticing 12 hours a day until the assessment, I promise! I just think if I can give her some confidence as to what she might be asked to do, then she can focus on the activity, not on the fear of maybe having to speak to someone.

Also - should I give the gym a head's-up about her selective mutism? She will sometimes speak to some coaches at gym - but very rarely, so I'm sure they're already aware that she's "shy." If you were doing an assessment with a child, would you want to know this? Would it be something that would go against her?

Thank you xx

I wouldn't mention the word "assessment" or "test" to a four year old, I would just say its a different type of class, explain that there may be different girls and coaches and she may have to try some different things. My dd had selective mutism until the age of around 3.5 years, a lot of people just assumed she was shy. I would maybe have a quiet word to the coach about it, I would think not listening would count against her more than not talking ;)

Not a coach so really can't comment on the activities she might have to do. I would just make sure she is well rested, is not hungry, bathroom before she starts and tell her to have fun.

It'll be one-on-one so she's going to realise it's a bit different to her usual class lol :) But yes - good point! Actually, the date is one of the same days she usually goes to the home-ed rec class, so maybe I can work it with the coaches so she think they're just pulling her aside to do different, fun activities.

I guess my worry with the not-talking, aside from her maybe seeming rude if they ask her a question and she won't reply, is that it might make her look like she won't fit in with a team of chatty little girls.

Sorry - the whole selective mutism is very new to us (the diagnosis, not the actual issue), so I'm still trying to feel my way around it! She loves gym, and it's a big confidence booster for her.

My DD was the same when she went for her assessment. But much to my surprise, it did not affect her. I think it had something to do with her adrenaline. She was 5.5 and had already been in another gym for 2 years. She did fine with the male coach too.

Another update from me...

DD's test was today and...she got in :)

They're minimum age for their development squad is 5 years, and she is only 4.5, so the coach is having a think about whether to keep her in her rec class for one more term and move her over when she's 5...or move her now.

I can see his point of view - he doesn't want her to get overwhelmed...but he also said, well, if she's ready, she's ready, and maybe the only way to find out is to put her in the class and see what happens. I personally wouldn't mind if she stays in rec for one more term, because I'd hate for her to feel overwhelmed and lose her enjoyment of the sport. Anyway...he's going to email me with his thoughts once he has had a chat to her rec coaches and we'll take it from there :) I LOVE how caring and supportive her gym is of the girls! It's not just all or nothing, and I love how they're not pushing them too young.

Either way, he said he definitely wants her in the development program and she did really well in her test. Very proud of my little girl :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back