Parents Testing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

annsethlucy

Proud Parent
My little girl is on the gymnastics squad (team for those in America)
She is 6. We got an email saying they will he tested next month to decide whether they stay on the squad.
Wondering if anyone knows what type of tests they will be given?

Probably strength - especially on bars, flexiblity and basic skills/shaping. It's unlikely to be anything they haven't been working on in training.

Yes, most likely strength, flexibility and skills.

It sounds like they have Selected a group of kids they feel have the potential for competitive gymnastics. Then put them in the squad environment to see how they respond to the training, and from there will choose their competitive team.

I am quite against this method. I feel like the coaches need ways to determine suitability without putting them into the team in the first place and then kicking them out again. It’s not easy to give a 6 year old a taste of Team, let them fall in love with it and then say “back to rec”.

I would also assume that they already have a pretty good idea of who they intend to keep. The testing may just be a formality and a way to make it appear more objective.

What level would she be going into if she stays on Squad? This will give us a better idea of what skills they will want to see.

She was selected for squad almost a year ago. They had a 6 month trial and then kept the ones they felt should stay on the squad. Now they are officially on the squad but they go through tests every 6 months and cut people who arent keeping up or dont have the enthusiasm. Even the older squads do this. A girl had been on the squad for years and just got cut. It's hard and brutal but that's how it is here if you want to do competitive gymnastics.
I'm pretty confident my dd will be fine. She is the strongest and most flexible she excels on bars vault and floor but is struggling on beam I think it's a confidence thing. Saying that she is still one of the better ones.
They have been doing back walkovers front walkovers and on beam too. Hand spring straddle press.etc handstand to flat back in vault. I dont know the names of things on bars.
I was just worried incase they are very formal about it. If shes nervous she can mess up but I guess she has to get used to that if she wants to compete. They dont compete until they are 8 here.

It sounds like a very competitive gym especially to be doing backwalkovers on beam. If they get “cut” do they go back to rec even older levels gymnasts or just moved to a different team? Just curious. Some gyms do do this and there’s both positive and negative affects of it. I would assume they would just be keeping track of their strength and flexibility and making sure their keeping up with the program they have in place and minimising the “slack” it lights a fire under gymnasts butts and keeps them responsible for their work when not in comp season. I’m sure u have nothing to worry about and it is interesting

It sounds you are in the UK and your DD is an in age" gymnast, ie working towards the highest levels of competitions at an elite gym. There are many other competitive paths available here although not necessarily at your gym. The "in age" path is not for all, the pressure to keep up is immense and the hours build very quickly.

From your comments it sounds as if she is doing well, the coaches know before testing who is capable and who is struggling, the results of one test day will not affect this. Good luck.

Unfortunately we actually live in an extremely rural area. There are only 2 gyms within a 2 hour drive that offer competitive gymnastics. We went with the one she liked best. It also happens to be the more successful gym. We drive an hour there and an hour back. Unfortunately there are just no other options that fit her other than this.

We tried rec and they just put her in a class with much older girls age 8/9 at the time she was 5. They couldn't offer anything else. Of she went back to rec now she would be bored.
She absolutely loves it and is always excited to go.
She doesnt feel any pressure yet and I'd like to keep it that way for as long as possible.
It sounds like you're right with the in age path

Oh and if they are cut they are offered a place on rec yes. But I think they would be too advanced for their age group now so they would end up a bit inbetweeny

Th
Oh and if they are cut they are offered a place on rec yes. But I think they would be too advanced for their age group now so they would end up a bit inbetweeny
thank you and coudos to your driving dedication. Yes there’s lots of years and hours ahead but your positive outlook will help your dd go far

I'm also from the UK, and agree with Aussie coach that it's tough to be moved back to rec after a taste of squad, and I don't like it either, but most clubs here have that system. Also agree with the fact that they will already know what she can do in training, so one bad test day won't change their opinion. It sounds like she'll be fine, so try not to worry too much. On ours they test general strength, fitness and flexibility. A bit of skills, but they know what they can and can't do anyway really...

Another question. Would you tell her shes being tested or leave it? They might be told anyway. Should I prepare her or leave it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back