Thank you Mdgymmom...Peaceful Warrior

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymjourneymom

Proud Parent
Just wanted to say a public "Thank You!" to a CB friend:D! Mdgymmom recommended a very inspirational movie called "The Peaceful Warrior" and my teenage DD LOVED it!!! My DD told me that movie inspired her to "go for" some of the L8 skills she's been balking at:D!!!!! I was greeted at the door of practice last night by DD & 2 of her SMILING coaches:D:D! The coaches were so excited about DD's "change of attitude & willingness to 'go for it' ". DD credits the change to that movie!!!! She says it really inspired her:D! I want to thank Mdgymmom for this great movie suggestion & for just being there for me & my DD! Love ya Mdgymmom!!!! Because of you DD has learned to "take out the trash"!!!!:D

Awwww THANKS GJM!!!! You are too sweet :blush: The Peaceful Warrior will always be one of my all time favorite movies and one that really impacted my life and way of thinking. I am so glad to hear that your DD is doing so well and finding that courage from within. So awesome!!!! And thank you also--your stories that you share with me and your warm comforting and sympathetic ear has helped me and Dani so much also. Love ya back!!!

DD12 is now doing TNT and is having some fear issues because she broke her arm over the Summer. I thought about letting her see this film but the guy that directed it is a convicted child molester. I just can't seem to get past that.

Has anyone read the book? I'm thinking about finding the book for her To those that have read it, does it jive with Christian principles?

Thanks

I thought about letting her see this film but the guy that directed it is a convicted child molester. I just can't seem to get past that.

Has anyone read the book? I'm thinking about finding the book for her To those that have read it, does it jive with Christian principles?

Thanks

Wow--that is really distrubing about the director. I kind of wish I didn't know that because now I feel like the movie is tarnished for me now.

I am reading the book right now--just started it so when I get more into it I will let you know more about it.

Wow--that is really distrubing about the director. I kind of wish I didn't know that because now I feel like the movie is tarnished for me now.

I am reading the book right now--just started it so when I get more into it I will let you know more about it.
Yes, that is very disturbing news about the director. And I believe Nick Nolte has been arrested for drunk driving in the past. So I wouldn't invite these guys to my house for dinner:rolleyes:. But it doesn't change my feelings about this movie. The message of this movie is all positive. There is less bad language, sex, nudity, etc. in this movie than you see in many prime time teen TV shows. I will still recommend it.

Yes, that is very disturbing news about the director. And I believe Nick Nolte has been arrested for drunk driving in the past. So I wouldn't invite these guys to my house for dinner:rolleyes:. But it doesn't change my feelings about this movie. The message of this movie is all positive. There is less bad language, sex, nudity, etc. in this movie than you see in many prime time teen TV shows. I will still recommend it.

I agree. I will still recommend this movie as well since the message is very positive without filling it with the language, nudity and mature themes as some of these other teen and pre-teen shows.

After reading this post, I decided that the movie sounds very inspirational. I'm going to have to rent it and read the book also. Thanks!

I would still recommend the movie, too. I really enjoyed it. Saw it a few years ago. I believe people can change and he has said that the book changed him. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't, who am I to judge? Only he and God (if there is a god) knows if he has truly changed and is no longer the person he once was. Some people don't enjoy reading and I am glad this wonderful story is also a film.

I've read the book and also the 2 others in the trilogy. Very awesome. Sacred Journeys of a Peaceful Warrior is probably the weakest of the three, but Journeys of Socrates is an insanely well-written book. Way of the Peaceful Warrior is the only one related to gymnastics though.

You've convinced me--I just put a hold on the movie and the book at the library. Thanks for the recommendation!

You've convinced me--I just put a hold on the movie and the book at the library. Thanks for the recommendation!
I hope you love it as much as we did!:D Let us know! Hey Mdgymmom-Thanks for posting the video clip of the mountain hiking scene here on CB....LOVE IT!!!!:D

I too have put a request for this at the library - hope DD will watch it with me and be inspired. She has worked through most (but not all) of her fear issues and seems very motivated right now so I hope this will add to momentum.

How's the book coming MDGymMom?

DD's really, really struggling. I didn't think it was going to be a big issue but it's quickly becoming huge. Her 1st meet is in 2 weeks and it's thrown her into panic mode. I feel so bad for her.

How's the book coming MDGymMom?

DD's really, really struggling. I didn't think it was going to be a big issue but it's quickly becoming huge. Her 1st meet is in 2 weeks and it's thrown her into panic mode. I feel so bad for her.
(((hugs))) to you & your DD M23K! I know how difficult it is to watch your child struggle with fear issues. Did you happen to watch the film clip that MdGymMom has posted here on CB? It gives you a good idea of what the movie is like. Inspirational! I rented it from Blockbuster.com & it came in a matter of days. I know you are concerned about the director. But really how much do we ever know about the private lives of anyone? Please don't discount this film because of the director. I'm a christian & I found nothing offensive in this movie. Maybe you could screen it 1st & see if you think it is acceptable for your DD. My DD & I had a nice bonding experience watching this film together. Afterwards we talked about the fears she has & her plans to overcome them. I'm not saying this film "cured" her of fear issues. But her attitude has just been amazing since we watched it. Her coaches have ALL made comments like "What happened to you? This is remarkable!". Maybe she was just in the right place mentally to REALLY hear the positive message of this film. It really doesn't say anything new or ground breaking. It's just put to together in a very inspirational gymnastics storyline, that made it more personal for her. Now when I drop her off at practice I say "Remember to take out the trash", and she just smiles. I think it helps to put her in the right place mentally when she recalls certain parts of the film. The "take out the trash" scene & the "it's the journey, not the destination" scenes are the 2 most memorable & meaningful for my DD & I. Good luck to you & your DD!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back