WAG The average number of elite gymnasts in an elite gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

jennyj

Proud Parent
I'm curious, what do you think? I know Chow's only has 2 but they seem to prefer low numbers there and that isn't necessarily the norm. How many elites have you seen/known in other gyms?

And what about the possible average number of level 10 gymnasts per gym?

Our gym doesn't currently have any elites but we have 4 girls (3 level 9s and 1 level 10) training HOPES. Our level 10 team has always been pretty small, around 5-6 or less. We had no level 9s last year (this year we will have 4-6) but our level 8 team was HUGE, 16 girls.

Our gym has about 15 level 10s but never had all compete this past year because of injury - no real elites, one trying.

No elites, one actively trying, 10 or so level 10s, several kids in differing stages of training to possibly take a shot at elite at some point.

8 level 10s, 10 level 9s, 3-4 total training for elite qualifiers (hopes or elite dep on age). Also about 15-17 level 8s.

My gym has 2 elites. The number of L10s varies. The upper level optional team tends to be pretty small - we often have 3-5 L9s and 0-2 L10s. Our training program for optionals and training program for elites are pretty different so a lot of L10s doesn't mean a lot of L10s trying to test elite.

for those who have posted that they have elites but a small number of L10's why do you think that is the case? Do the girls who don't want to go elite end up leaving after L8/9 for a gym that is training the girls for collegiate? Just seems strange that a gym is coaching elites but they have very few girls making it to L10 in their gym.

Also, there is a big difference between training for Hopes/Elite and qualifying Hopes and then qualifying Elite. If you look at the results of the qualifiers, there are so many more that try to qualify and never make it but become great level 10s.

Gymgal, I learned a some things and can chip in. The old gym trained a few girls with high goals in mind. And that was it, they only trained those girls who fit their idea of the end goal. The rest of the team trained as a separate entity with little (if any) monitoring from HC. HC stated on several occasions that most girls will quit after level 8 (and they did!). There was no direction, communication, or plan. Whole team moved up too soon. Girls were offered to repeat or moved 1-2 levels down once they reached lvls 7-8, but HC didnt want to train them. Sadly, most of those girls are done. The ones who transfered out are still in sport and quiet successful in JO.
I wander how other gyms successfully manage training elites and team.

for those who have posted that they have elites but a small number of L10's why do you think that is the case? Do the girls who don't want to go elite end up leaving after L8/9 for a gym that is training the girls for collegiate? Just seems strange that a gym is coaching elites but they have very few girls making it to L10 in their gym.

In my gym, the training path for JO and elite is different.

The kids training elite have extra hours during the afternoon, although they usually also practice with JO in the evening. We don't really actively recruit numbers for the elite training group - it's just if there's a young kid who's picking up skills like crazy in JO, they get directed to it. A lot of times it doesn't work out and they wind up back in the regular JO program after a year. And the focus isn't on succeeding in JO competitions - some of the kids who have trained elite don't compete a full season every year, in order to focus on preparing for camp and testing. So the pre-elites might only compete L10 for a few meets.

Whereas the gymnasts who compete all the way through to L10 maybe were training pre-elite at some point, but decided it wasn't for them (or their parents did), or something set them back. Or maybe they were older than the usual age for pre-elite, or didn't demonstrate that ability to pick up skills like crazy. Or they excel at some events, but don't have the across-the-board ability that elites need.

Based on your answers I see the 2 elites is actually a lot. I wonder if they are lonely, training just by themselves, alone or with only one other elite gymnast (apart from the coaches). My daughter has mentioned being in a team of the same level, really belonging with a group and training together with the gym friends is one of the best things about gymnastics.

I would think that is one of the benefits of the camp system. When it's done right, the girls seem to really bond.

In my gym, the training path for JO and elite is different.

The kids training elite have extra hours during the afternoon, although they usually also practice with JO in the evening. We don't really actively recruit numbers for the elite training group - it's just if there's a young kid who's picking up skills like crazy in JO, they get directed to it. A lot of times it doesn't work out and they wind up back in the regular JO program after a year. And the focus isn't on succeeding in JO competitions - some of the kids who have trained elite don't compete a full season every year, in order to focus on preparing for camp and testing. So the pre-elites might only compete L10 for a few meets.

Whereas the gymnasts who compete all the way through to L10 maybe were training pre-elite at some point, but decided it wasn't for them (or their parents did), or something set them back. Or maybe they were older than the usual age for pre-elite, or didn't demonstrate that ability to pick up skills like crazy. Or they excel at some events, but don't have the across-the-board ability that elites need.

I realize this post is mainly about elites but as a parent still learning and whose DD is going to be level 8, I'd be curious to know whether you all think that ability to keep picking up skills determines what good JO kids need to be good level 10s too, not just elites? And maybe also what determines if kids will stick with the sport?

If so, besides staying relatively injury free, what is the thing that allows gymnasts to keep picking up new upper optional skills, aside from coaches with experience? Is mental ability to push through fear at this stage the big factor? Do some talented kids not progress on the elite path despite good physical training because they too are more conservative than the really fearless ones?

I can't comment on the elites, but as to what kinds of kids make it to L 10 and stick with it, I think all of the factors you mentioned plus, they have to really want it. The ones I see are determined and passionate about gymnastics. I think you need that to get to and be successful at L10. Obviously you have to be able to pick up harder skills and that has kept many girls at L9 for a while. My daughter pretty much eats, breathes and sleeps gymnastics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back