WAG The Division III Dream

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Nice article on The Gymternet today about D3 gymnastics. Felt timely to post given the thread about college opportunities on the parent forum. D3 is a great option and a great experience for many athletes!

And to the poster who asked about level 8s in D3, I think RIC is likely the only school that would have them on their team at this point, and even that I'm not sure about. Hamline and Gustavus may but they've really been improving over the last few seasons. The schools above that are recruiting a mix of level 10s and level 9s with a standout event (or events) and the top schools (Whitewater, LaCrosse, Brockport, Ursinus as of late) are almost exclusively recruiting level 10s.

RIC definitely takes kids on their team at lower levels...many compete levels 6-7 or Xcel if they do club or high school gymnastics, and they do have a couple who competed 9, but 10 is not a requirement to compete there....but I agree, D3 schools are definitely stepping up their recruiting.

I went through Rhode Island's lineup earlier while I was stuck waiting in the car and I couldn't find a girl who competed below L8, and one of there. At least on the listed roster. I thought it was cool how some of the girls went from Xcel diamond to 9, then onto college. Really cool, actually. Even if it's a team others think isn't as worthy. Makes it seem like normal girls have somewhere to aspire to.

As for the article above, it seemed like an advertisement for her book to me.

I went through Rhode Island's lineup earlier while I was stuck waiting in the car and I couldn't find a girl who competed below L8, and one of there. At least on the listed roster. I thought it was cool how some of the girls went from Xcel diamond to 9, then onto college. Really cool, actually. Even if it's a team others think isn't as worthy. Makes it seem like normal girls have somewhere to aspire to.

As for the article above, it seemed like an advertisement for her book to me.

And the Xcel->Level 9->NCAA girls that RIC has seem to keep progressing during their time there! It's a real testament to those girls' work ethic and the coaching staff. It has been fun to watch the whole team continue to improve after nearly being cut just 5 seasons ago.

Many D3 athletes have less than traditional paths to NCAA. Of the top 10 AAers this season, I know at least one competed in the JOGA program in NJ and one went to a college without a gymnastics team for her freshman year before transferring to a D3 school.

We knew a few girls who went there who generally competed as 7s or 8s and were bumped up to 9 as Seniors ( and had dreadful seasons so I can't fathom why one would want that) and seemed to enjoy competing there....there are a lot of local girls who compete there and probably are familiar faces. And the girls that are 8s or 9s there aren't your powerhouse gymnasts when they competed in JO...my point being that this team is a viable option for a gymnast wanting to continue in college who hasn't gotten to level 10.

The lowest ranked D1 team is Alaska at 68 and Southeastern Missouri is 64 and they are recruiting 10s....teams 65 through 81 are D3 with more viable options for kids not at Level 10....we had a friend , level 9 , who competed for Springfield and that seemed to be a good fit for her skill set.

Last edited:
Another thing: especially in D3, it is much more about what skills you have than what level you are. A level 9 (or HS/Xcel/JOGA gymnast) who can put together 9.9-10.0 SV level 10 routines on 1-2 events, but struggles on the others, can be a much more attractive recruit than a level 10 with bare bones routines on all 4. Some of my most successful teammates in college fit this description.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back