WAG The drama of the clear hip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LGnyc

Proud Parent
Dd's L7 bars are finally coming into focus. The handstands are to vertical or nearly so. The giant is decent (probably .1 off for a slight arch). She's finally gotten her giant flyaway back - no more fears or releasing early or late. Now it's the just dreaded clear hip. It's too low and she's not getting credit for the skill. So I think that's a .3 deduction, right?

She doesn't have her stalder yet (only on straps) and doesn't work the toe shoot. What other B circling skills would count if she wanted to avoid the clear hip? Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Dd's L7 bars are finally coming into focus. The handstands are to vertical or nearly so. The giant is decent (probably .1 off for a slight arch). She's finally gotten her giant flyaway back - no more fears or releasing early or late. Now it's the just dreaded clear hip. It's too low and she's not getting credit for the skill. So I think that's a .3 deduction, right?

She doesn't have her stalder yet (only on straps) and doesn't work the toe shoot. What other B circling skills would count if she wanted to avoid the clear hip? Any ideas? Thanks for your help.
Just those in groups 3, 6, and 7.
Keep working stalders and clear hip circles. She SHOULD be getting the credit as long as her hips are not touching so she would get the SR 0.5 and the 0.3 for the B skill... BUT it would have a 0.4 deduction.
OR, lol,
Rear support on LB or HB - seat (pike) circle forward with straddle cut backward to hang on same bar.

Now, it wouldn't be a circling skill, but for an extra B, she could do a straddle cut or an uprise.

I should have realized, raenndrops, that you would have the answers so quickly! I've heard groups 3,6,7 mentioned before but I don't know what's in them. Is it just those three?

So she's not touching the bar, in fact quite far off it, but realistically her angle is a touch above horizontal and no better. So that's a .4? Argh.

But after that, you lost me. What is a rear support or a straddle cut? I've seen uprise mentioned on here before and looked it up. Super cool but our gym doesn't do it at all.

I should have realized, raenndrops, that you would have the answers so quickly! I've heard groups 3,6,7 mentioned before but I don't know what's in them. Is it just those three?

So she's not touching the bar, in fact quite far off it, but realistically her angle is a touch above horizontal and no better. So that's a .4? Argh.

But after that, you lost me. What is a rear support or a straddle cut? I've seen uprise mentioned on here before and looked it up. Super cool but our gym doesn't do it at all.
I think the clear hip deduction is "up to 0.4" and at or below horizontal, it would be the 0.4.
The first one I mentioned is a circling skill from Group 7.
A Straddle cut is hard for me to explain but it is the second part of the illustration... swing forward (like the start of a kip), but pike the legs between the arms when coming back, and then straddle the legs (have to let go of the bar at that point and then regrasp), and kip out of it.

Attachments

• pike circle fwd to straddle cut.jpg
    pike circle fwd to straddle cut.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 47
Hmm, so I would guess that for the pike circle cut catch, hands would have to start out in reverse grip? It seems like a really cool skill!

Do you have a video of anyone performing this? Just can't wrap my head around how it would fit in a routine (getting into it, I mean). Flip hands, cast both legs through?

Any height clear hip is a B and gets B credit. A clear hip that's at horizontal is 0.3 amplitude deduction. The up to 0.4 is for below horizontal. If just above horizontal 0.25 then goes down from there until no deduction at 45 degrees below vertical(3/4 height).

Thank you for the clarification. I wish I could figure out how to attach the video to see what you thought. She's been struggling with the clear hip for almost two years.

She has more than enough of B's - giant and cast handstand are too.

She should keep working the clear hip, the height will come(and working stalder on straps is good). The stalder(and all circling elements) also have amplitude deductions, so the likelihood of adding a brand new skill with less deduction than the clear hip is small.

Hmm, so I would guess that for the pike circle cut catch, hands would have to start out in reverse grip? It seems like a really cool skill!

Do you have a video of anyone performing this? Just can't wrap my head around how it would fit in a routine (getting into it, I mean). Flip hands, cast both legs through?

This is the only one I could find.

That's the one I saw too. But to echo Lyddie27, how do you even get on the bar in that position to do the skill?

I agree with @Jard.the.gymnast , a squat thru to rear support would get you into the position (maybe a fun thing to practice if one accidentally overshoots the squat on, lol). It would be a way to get back to a position from which to transition if done on low bar.

Honestly — just keep working on the clear hip. She will need that long term and it will get better. Even though she’s been working on it for 2-yrs, she’s probably done a fair amount of growing during that time, so it’s a constant work in progress. Getting it higher is a combination of strength and timing...maybe someone can suggest a drill to help?

Honestly — just keep working on the clear hip. She will need that long term and it will get better. Even though she’s been working on it for 2-yrs, she’s probably done a fair amount of growing during that time, so it’s a constant work in progress. Getting it higher is a combination of strength and timing... maybe someone can suggest a drill to help?
Drills for clear hips could be back extension rolls (with straight arms), clear hip to a wall/blocks (forcing her to go higher) and clear hips in straps

The only real "drill" we do uses a wedge mat and a floor bar. They lay on the mat on their backs (hands over the top to grasp the floor bar) and roll up to handstand ... someone helps them get to HS if needed or holds them there for a second. Then they step down and the next person goes.

I hear ya about the clear hip, it was my kid's nightmare. Ironically, when the coaches gave her a break from it and focused other options, the dang thing came back-after a few months break-in force! For her, it was probably what she needed, but my kid is an oddity....most kids just need to keep plugging on it. I swear I heard her muttering "shift, push" in her sleep, lol!!!! Hopefully it will improve, because, as Seeker mentioned, it really is a good skill to have.

I found another cool way to get into that rear support! It is around the 0:30 mark in this video:
Obviously I'm not suggesting that she does this, just thought I'd share. I love creative bar routines with uncommon skills!

The only real "drill" we do uses a wedge mat and a floor bar. They lay on the mat on their backs (hands over the top to grasp the floor bar) and roll up to handstand ... someone helps them get to HS if needed or holds them there for a second. Then they step down and the next person goes.

Our girls do that too. And they use a bounce bar quite a bit - with a bar set up over a tramp and they lie down on their backs grasping the bar and bounce/curl up to handstand. But again, it's two years of drills and she really just doesn't have a feel for the motion. She knows she has to dip lower to go higher but can't figure out where. I suspect it requires a lot more time in straps.

I found another cool way to get into that rear support! It is around the 0:30 mark in this video:
Obviously I'm not suggesting that she does this, just thought I'd share. I love creative bar routines with uncommon skills!

That's crazy cool. On an unrelated note, can you tell me how you embedded that video? Did you just cut and paste a link? What about a personal video?

That's crazy cool. On an unrelated note, can you tell me how you embedded that video? Did you just cut and paste a link? What about a personal video?
Personal videos have to be online somewhere so you can paste the url... I post mine UNLISTED on you tube when i want to post on here. By leaving them unlisted, people can't look them up and have to have the url to view them.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back