Parents The dreaded “not moving up” conversation

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If it were me I would chose the gym who's culture and coaches fit my DD the best as well as being convenient from a logistics and hours standpoint.

Don't worry about the initial level placement so much these things have a way of working themselves out. A talented gymnast can be skipped ahead at any point. Maybe she goes straight from 3 to 5/6 next year, or skips 6 and goes to 7. Point being don't feel like you are crippling her gymnastics by starting at a lever lower than you expected, in fact you might be doing her a favor as many girls that are pushed too hard right out of the gate don't stay with the sport.

Based on the info you provided, I would stick with your current gym. Often what looks good to parents in terms of skills is not going to score well in competition. Having the skill and having it clean are two different things. Like others said said, she’s young. If you change to another gym that is less focused on strength and fundamentals and waste a year or she develops bad habits, then try to transition back to your current gym, she may in fact be too old.

If it were me I would chose the gym who's culture and coaches fit my DD the best as well as being convenient from a logistics and hours standpoint.

Don't worry about the initial level placement so much these things have a way of working themselves out. A talented gymnast can be skipped ahead at any point. Maybe she goes straight from 3 to 5/6 next year, or skips 6 and goes to 7. Point being don't feel like you are crippling her gymnastics by starting at a lever lower than you expected, in fact you might be doing her a favor as many girls that are pushed too hard right out of the gate don't stay with the sport.
I think that’s kindof exactly what I was hoping to hear . Logistically those other 2 gyms would be a big challenge. Just don’t want to shortchange her just because I’m scared of the commute.

I think that’s kindof exactly what I was hoping to hear . Logistically those other 2 gyms would be a big challenge. Just don’t want to shortchange her just because I’m scared of the commute.

Don't underestimate the negative effect a long, awful commute can have on everyone. If it really is a lot longer than what you are doing, you really need to decide if you can make it work long term. You mentioned not wanting to be a gym hopper. I'd hate for you to be considering another gym move in a year or two when the training days/hours increase and you find the commute is way too much.

If you move to the gym where your DD is seen as "the best," how good is the training? What happens if she starts to feel limited once she hits optionals? If a gym doesn't have a moderately strong optional program (and at least a few levels 9-10s) and girls who make it to regionals at levels 7-8, I would not move my DD just to compete level 4 as an 8 year old. Level 4 and 5 scoring is Tough! It took me a couple of years to realize that "having the skills" is not enough to score well in compulsories. All the small things add up. When my DD made the level 4 team, she had all her level 4 skills and most of her level 5, but did not score well in 4 due to form and text errors.

I know it seems like a big deal to either be a level 3 vs. 4 now, but I promise in the long run, it truly doesn't matter. If your DD is passionate about the sport, the best thing you can do for her is find a good cultural fit and somewhere that allows your DD to not bounce around from gym to gym. There are going to be a LOT of years of placement "drama" - sometimes your kid will be the one pushed ahead and sometimes she may be "held behind" but in the long, it absolutely works itself out.

If you move to the gym where your DD is seen as "the best," how good is the training? What happens if she starts to feel limited once she hits optionals? If a gym doesn't have a moderately strong optional program (and at least a few levels 9-10s) and girls who make it to regionals at levels 7-8, I would not move my DD just to compete level 4 as an 8 year old. Level 4 and 5 scoring is Tough! It took me a couple of years to realize that "having the skills" is not enough to score well in compulsories. All the small things add up. When my DD made the level 4 team, she had all her level 4 skills and most of her level 5, but did not score well in 4 due to form and text errors.

I know it seems like a big deal to either be a level 3 vs. 4 now, but I promise in the long run, it truly doesn't matter. If your DD is passionate about the sport, the best thing you can do for her is find a good cultural fit and somewhere that allows your DD to not bounce around from gym to gym. There are going to be a LOT of years of placement "drama" - sometimes your kid will be the one pushed ahead and sometimes she may be "held behind" but in the long, it absolutely works itself out.

I agree with this. Knowing that your daughter is on the lower end skill wise of your current gym but the best at the new gym that does not have a strong optional program should answer your question for you. Being the best at the new gym when you know how she ranks at another gym probably means that she may not have a strong competition season. Would she be happy being the best on the team but maybe not placing well at competitions with other level 4s from other gyms? Would you be happy sacrificing more time and energy for a longer commute for a season of potential low placements? Level 4 is hard. There is a big difference between having the skills and performing them well. Maybe her coach knows that her skills aren’t strong enough to score well. It’s possible that they want to let her have a successful season at level 3 to build her confidence and to give her more time to build strength to have a successful 4 season next year. I would not take on a longer commute to a weaker gym just for level 4.

If you still want to consider a gym change, I would have her evaluated at what you say is the best gym in the area. Ask them what level they would place her at. Otherwise, if your current gym is teaching solid techniques, and you feel that the culture is positive, I would stay put.

I agree with this. Knowing that your daughter is on the lower end skill wise of your current gym but the best at the new gym that does not have a strong optional program should answer your question for you. Being the best at the new gym when you know how she ranks at another gym probably means that she may not have a strong competition season. Would she be happy being the best on the team but maybe not placing well at competitions with other level 4s from other gyms? Would you be happy sacrificing more time and energy for a longer commute for a season of potential low placements? Level 4 is hard. There is a big difference between having the skills and performing them well. Maybe her coach knows that her skills aren’t strong enough to score well. It’s possible that they want to let her have a successful season at level 3 to build her confidence and to give her more time to build strength to have a successful 4 season next year. I would not take on a longer commute to a weaker gym just for level 4.

If you still want to consider a gym change, I would have her evaluated at what you say is the best gym in the area. Ask them what level they would place her at. Otherwise, if your current gym is teaching solid techniques, and you feel that the culture is positive, I would stay put.

I agree with this completely!

The only red flag I see is that the only suggestion for uptraining to keep up skills while repeating a level is privates. To me, that's ridiculous. I absolutely would not pay extra for something that should be occurring during regular practice. If a gym is going to have a practice of repeating girls, then they need to have a plan in place for those repeating to be able to uptrain during the season.

Unfortunately this is just the first of many disappointing moments in gymnastics. One of the best things about gymnastics is learning to deal with disappointments. A lot of kids are protected from this their whole life and as a result are not equipped to deal with them. You can't fix it every time she doesn't get what she wants even if she works really hard for it. She's very young and really being L3 vs L4 is of no consequence. No one wants to see their child disappointed or sad, but this is a much bigger life lesson. In addition, it sounds like there's a lot of collateral damage associated with going to a different gym including more work for you in terms of driving. I wouldn't sign up for that unless the current gym was really lacking. She'll get over this very very quickly we promise.

haha that's a great point about sandbagging. she's competed in dance but right, never in gymnastics.
If she’s never competed, level 3 might be great! My daughter did level 2 which was way too easy for her- could have easily done level 3 but the coaches wanted all new gymnasts to have a year competing at an easy level. She has all her level 3 skills and her kip and I still don’t think they’ll have her go level 4. And I’m fine with that! She’s 8 too. Another one of her teammates (9) who was WAY above level 2 (scores 38.5 plus every meet) still stayed the whole season listening and working hard at level 2 and never thinking anything was beneath her. She is now uptraining level 4/5. She’ll probably go to 4 and it wouldn’t surprise me if she went straight to level 5. There is plenty of time to skip other levels later! If you like the gym, use this as a time to encourage her to really get that ROBH perfect as that leads to every other skill on floor/beam. And compete the kip at L3. She may end up surpassing those who went ahead to 4 earlier.

If she’s never competed, level 3 might be great! My daughter did level 2 which was way too easy for her- could have easily done level 3 but the coaches wanted all new gymnasts to have a year competing at an easy level. She has all her level 3 skills and her kip and I still don’t think they’ll have her go level 4. And I’m fine with that! She’s 8 too. Another one of her teammates (9) who was WAY above level 2 (scores 38.5 plus every meet) still stayed the whole season listening and working hard at level 2 and never thinking anything was beneath her. She is now uptraining level 4/5. She’ll probably go to 4 and it wouldn’t surprise me if she went straight to level 5. There is plenty of time to skip other levels later! If you like the gym, use this as a time to encourage her to really get that ROBH perfect as that leads to every other skill on floor/beam. And compete the kip at L3. She may end up surpassing those who went ahead to 4 earlier.

And It's also OK not to skip any levels. My younger daughter has competed levels 1-6. Yes there were some annoying moments along the way, but she always does well and is confident. My older daughter competed 2, skipped 3, repeated 4, skipped 5 and 6, competed 7 and really struggled at 8 and 9. Now retired after two years of 9, her advice is to advance slowly and really solidify the skills.

Agree!!!

I don’t have a problem with repeating a level. I will probably repeat half of my Golds this year. I have a problem with your daughter being evaluated too soon after an injury. I do set dates for my girls to have all of their skills, but I definitely make allowances for girls that were injured.

If she has never competed, a season at level 3 is probably going to be very useful. It will give her a chance to learn how to compete, which is an art in itself.

Are you 100% sure that the fact that she didn't move up was because she was injured during the evaluations? There may have been other reasons. Those coaches see the kids all the time, they know what she can do. Could it be skill quality, strength, flexibility, muscle twitch speed, attendance, behaviour, attitude, dance, punctuality, coachability, confidence, space available in their teams etc?

If she has never competed, a season at level 3 is probably going to be very useful. It will give her a chance to learn how to compete, which is an art in itself.

Are you 100% sure that the fact that she didn't move up was because she was injured during the evaluations? There may have been other reasons. Those coaches see the kids all the time, they know what she can do. Could it be skill quality, strength, flexibility, muscle twitch speed, attendance, behaviour, attitude, dance, punctuality, coachability, confidence, space available in their teams etc?

She was just coming off the injury, I think it was about two weeks after being in the boot 6 weeks. And no I’m not sure why. They honestly are not giving me a good reason other than that she will do better in 3.

She was just coming off the injury, I think it was about two weeks after being in the boot 6 weeks. And no I’m not sure why. They honestly are not giving me a good reason other than that she will do better in 3.

If you trust that the coach is looking out for the best interest in the child than it is sometimes best to take a coach at their word and not prod too much. Maybe they suspect she is two years away from optionals and whether she does 3 then 4 or 4 twice she'll be spending a similar amount of time in compulsories and she might as well have two successful years.

One other thing to ask about is if they have a TOPS program with extra hours. While a lot of the training for TOPS is strength building it really helps in their overall progression. A lot of the TOPS programs are by invite only though, so don't be offended if they didn't bring it up earlier or say it isn't a good idea.

What happens if you move to another gym for your daughter to move to level 4, then the gym wants her to repeat level 4 will you switch gyms again?

I don’t think the real issue here is the specific level placement for next season. The issue is whether OP is on board with the gym’s general philosophy, which appears to include a lack of uptraining during the competitive season, a preference for very high scores in compulsories, and a rigid approach to move-up decisions. As a parent, all of this would give me pause.

I don’t think the real issue here is the specific level placement for next season. The issue is whether OP is on board with the gym’s general philosophy, which appears to include a lack of uptraining during the competitive season, a preference for very high scores in compulsories, and a rigid approach to move-up decisions. As a parent, all of this would give me pause.

But she's just starting out and hasn't even competed yet. I would try it out for a year and see if her kid even likes competing before committing to a family-disrupting longer drive.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back