MAG The dreaded "blind change"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

uniqueRN

Proud Parent
So my DS is getting ready for Nationals. Everything is looking really good. The thorn in his side is this blind change with straight, kept together legs. I'm not looking for coaching advise but how hard is this? He says it's not as easy as it looks and I believe him. He's been working on this all season. I told him the only way to fix it is to duct tape his legs together. LOL!

LOL! Fortunately for him, I think a lot of boys still struggle with that! D is working it now and says it is hard...you are so focused on your hands that you forget your legs ;)

Good luck to him this week!

I did them on woman's bars but I could do it with my legs straight and together if I had a coach's hand on my back but if I tried to do it by myself it was a hot mess! Must be why I never competed them ;)

The way it works is the skill is easier when you keep your legs straight and together..... but you won't find many young gymnasts to agree that's the way it is.

Have him try a few with his legs crossed over at the ankles. Right over left if a left post and v/v. Most likely, the split is happening because he is turning from the stomach and leaving the lead leg behind. This drill will help him feel how his lower 1/2 is not completing the turn. And yes, the blind is a skill that usually takes a few years to master completely (sort of like a round-off, easy to learn - years to master). Good Luck at Nationals!

The cure to the split legs on blind changes and indeed perfecting a blind change is to have kids swing overgrip giants and learn to shift their weight onto the pivot arm AS they rise towards the handstand. This can be done in the straps - and it's an easy spot for the coach. Once the performer learns to transfer weight from two hands during the hanging phase to one during the rise the whole body pivot comes easily. Most guys/girls try to "PULL" their way into the turn with the non-pivoting arm. This approach will always result in split legs.

Related -- I heard somewhere that the swing turn in the L5 routine is a really basic beginner drill for this skill. True? Our guys spent some time working on doing the swing turn up onto a high block, and I wondered what was up with that.

Related -- I heard somewhere that the swing turn in the L5 routine is a really basic beginner drill for this skill. True? Our guys spent some time working on doing the swing turn up onto a high block, and I wondered what was up with that.
I never liked that drill tbh I found just going for it worked better for me. It is a basic form of the drill but not really because in the drill I usually see people switch both hands at the top of the swing

As for the leg thing I started out with an ugly blind change and after practice it got better I found putting my hands closer on the giant before the blind change helped with that

Wish him luck with it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back