Parents The Heat!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

shelovestoflip

Proud Parent
We're here in the Northeast. My daughter's gym is air conditioned. I know I've read that many of your girls have no AC in their gyms. Cannot imagine how they handle it!

My daughter drips in sweat. While standing still. Always has!

But this week has been brutal! She's staying hydrated as best she can.

Poor thing is so hot!

Any suggestions other than the usual stay hydrated?

She makes it through practice but when I pick her up, she collapses in the car and can't wait to get home to shower!!

Thanks!

Frozen fruit. Smoothies (today I just used frozen fruit and almond milk for something cooling, but also getting some nutrients). Those water bottles with a sprayer also attached for a quick mist in between rotations. Ice cubes in the water bottles, of course. This never-ending heat wave is brutal this year, isn't it? Thank goodness the gym is air conditioned!

Natural Sports Drink Recipe

some homemade sports drink, see above, or the regular stuff if you are not as upright as I am. Iced face cloths and rest after work outs. At certain temps taking a day off is just fine too, those work outs in this humidity are a killer. Literally.

i ran in this heat yesterday and boy it was hard work. That was just 30 mins! It made me appreciate how hard the kids work in the gym, and how important it is for them to take a break if it is just too hot.

I let the kids suck or chew on ice cubes during events besides ice water. It's kind of messy but I'm sure in the future it could be done with plastic cups instead of paper cups. When they melt they would just have ice water.

If you have a freezer and a metal water container you are gold. I used to throw mine in the freezer used for ice packs and popsicles.

We have had high temperatures too. It has been about 95 degrees! Our gym is not air conditioned. My dd hasnt complained too much. They take regular breaks to stay cool. I work the booster booth. I have been miserable. My dd is way tougher than me!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Amazingly here in the UK we've been having temperatures getting up to 30c or 86F for the last couple of weeks (I know, who'd have thought it?!)

Our gym doesn't have aircon, unless you count having the doors open?! Can't imagine anyone would consider it an essential expense here.

After school we walk to the river and stand in it

I make dd a drink of 50% apple juice, 50% water with half a tsp of salt dissolved in it. Some times I give her calorie free electrolyte tablets dissolved in water, but she hates the taste and I find she doesn't drink as much, grrr.

She also has one of those facial sprays, but she's not fond of that either :confused:

Sometimes after school we walk to the river and stand in it just to cool off and also to wash her feet, which get stinky in her sandals and no coach needs that in their face!!

She comes out of the gym pretty sticky!

Mine must just be used to it. They do call gym off if it's over 40 celsius (outside, so that would be about 45+ in the gym). But otherwise they just train the same, drink a lot and get very red in the face, lol.
Right now (well other than today as it was warm) they tend to train in lots of layers.

Same here. 95 degrees and no a/c in the gym. :( I give DD a water bottle full of ice going into the practice, then I come back 30 minutes before the end of the practice, and bring a new bottle. At the end of the practice they give out popsicles.

My oldest DD actually got heat exhaustion from being in a non air conditioned gym when she was 4 years old (body temp actually raised 3 degrees from the heat..)

Along with the other suggestions, I would add: soak 3-4 towels in water, and put in zip loc bags. Between rotations or on breaks, put the wet towel on her neck/head to help cool her body down.

our gym is airconditioned; but the AC hasn't always been able to keep up and has actually gone our a few times this summer. It has been HOT. The kids drink a lot; but haven't complained all that much. they do often take the ice packets out of their snack bags and put them on their necks at breaks and after practice though.

Water bottles with a sprayer...great idea! For all I know, they're spraying each other with the bottles at bars, lol!
Last night she commented that she must be sweating out everything she drinks...she had a bottle of water and a bottle of Gatorade during practice and both were empty when I picked her up!

Frozen fruit. Smoothies (today I just used frozen fruit and almond milk for something cooling, but also getting some nutrients). Those water bottles with a sprayer also attached for a quick mist in between rotations. Ice cubes in the water bottles, of course. This never-ending heat wave is brutal this year, isn't it? Thank goodness the gym is air conditioned!

Thanks for this recipe. I will try it! Honestly, she prefers water over Gatorade but I buy Gatorade a few times in summer if it seems like the heat is going to be crazy during practice! I feel like she needs something beyond the plain water! But I will see what ingredients I need and make some tomorrow!

Ahh, that's right..Australia's winter now!
We're never happy weather wise, I guess.
In winter, she starts practice in lycra leggings, socks, long sleeve t and sweatshirt! Two extremes!!

Mine must just be used to it. They do call gym off if it's over 40 celsius (outside, so that would be about 45+ in the gym). But otherwise they just train the same, drink a lot and get very red in the face, lol.
Right now (well other than today as it was warm) they tend to train in lots of layers.

I did suggest this to my daughter. Of course, no one else does it so she doesn't want to, for fear of 'standing out' (14 such a hard age!!) Alas, I bet if she did it, everyone would!!

My oldest DD actually got heat exhaustion from being in a non air conditioned gym when she was 4 years old (body temp actually raised 3 degrees from the heat..)

Along with the other suggestions, I would add: soak 3-4 towels in water, and put in zip loc bags. Between rotations or on breaks, put the wet towel on her neck/head to help cool her body down.

Wish that were possible. The gym runs a huge rec camp during the day so the rec kids are there beginning at 8 and the team goes at 4. Rec=money so team suffers in the heat, I guess!! Apparently the rec camp is almost 50% larger than in past years due to Olympic gymnastic madness!!

Start practice at 7am until the heatwave is through. Probably won't work for everyone, but it's a suggestion.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back