WAG The kip.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I hate hate hate hate kips I never can get them I always push away from the bar if I'm not doing that then I can't pull my self up to the bar! Is there any way that I could do them easily or train to do them well at home?

When i was first learning kips i did the same thing! But i think what is driving you backwards is that your head may be a little out. Try to look at something directly in front of you when you do your kips. Also try extending your glide in the beginning of your kip, that would give you more power :)

When I spot my gymnasts kips in warm ups I get them to "rollover the bar" to help with hand movement. Also I have gone back to the "hock up" so they can do them by themselves without assistance. I find it's the last phase "hand roll" that is the problem

practice leg lifts and strength. the kip is a timing move so pretend it is 3 seperate parts: the glide, legs up, kick and pull. you will get it.

Do not kick. Keep your toes/instep/ankle on the bar and go from there to the hip!

Sounds like you just need to focus on pushing a bit later. I like to use the cue, " Keep toes to bar, allow butt to swing back while in V hang position. " To create more momentum in that position you have to be able extend out in your glide fast enough and snap your feet back to V quickly. Which means a fast leg lift to V and being able to hold the V hang to the bar about 10 seconds.

Do not kick. Keep your toes/instep/ankle on the bar and go from there to the hip!

Sounds like you just need to focus on pushing a bit later. I like to use the cue, " Keep toes to bar, allow butt to swing back while in V hang position. "
Totally the way to go about it. I use a cue that helps alot....I tell them it's a swing skill and relate it to a playground swing set. If they lean back on the way up, they'll generate more swing as they "pump" their legs from toes to hip in rythym with the swing.

As long as they don't carry it to the extreme of trying to lean back to stay under the bar forever, they'll accelerate their circular swing and be up before they can do anything to stop it.

I want to say a reverse kip is like a jam where you pull your feet underneath the bar and end up on top of the bar on your butt or in a Lsit.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back