The new scoring system

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

H

hammy

Is anyone else still trying to figure out this new scoring system. I understand that they get two scores, one of difficulty and one for execution. Now, is there a maximum number of points they can recieve for execution--is that still out of a 10? I think, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that they get more points (kind of like bonus points) for the extra difficulty. Now, the required skills that they are to do (so many D's/E's, acro series, etc), is that considered under the execution part or the difficulty part of the score?

If anyone can explain the scoring system a little better that would be great! Thanks!

Thank you!! This whole thing is confusing, and I think it made the sport even more challenging.

Did you catch Nastia's bar score from the first night?? A whopping 7.1 difficulty, and then an 8.25 for execution b/c of the dismount. I like it because then one mistake doesn't cost you a title.

On the otherhand, I hate it because a fall can still mean you win a title - is that really how gymnastics should be???
(I'm thinking a few examples:
*2006 worlds, Vanessa Ferrari AA - she fell on her tucked full on beam, yet still won the title over several people who hit all four routines (e.g. Bieger in 2nd, Dasha Joura in 5th), just because she had a higher difficulty?
*2006 Commonwealth games - Hollie Dykes counted four falls, one per apparatus in AA, and yet STILL won the bronze medal over Imogen Cairns, who hit all 4 apparatuses, yet still came 4th?)

Different events score differently as well...Top scores/the best scores are around low 16, but usually:
VT - high 15s
UB - 16.2 is the world record, I think...16 is HARD to get
BB - 16s
FX - high 15s.

Execution is a lot more penalising now, with very few 'B' (execution) scores over 9.0.
A score (difficulty) + B score --> total score.

We have been using the new scoring system in Quebec for all our meets. My oldest DD has a difficulty of 3.7 and therefore scores out of 13.7. It gets easier and easier to understand as I see it in practice.

My littlest scores out of 13, a difficulty of 3. It is taking a lot of parents and gymnasts a while to figure it all out. But, as we say at the gym, the one with the highest score wins, no matter whether it's out of 10 or 15.

I guess you are all still using the 10, so the Elite scene is very confusing still. Perhaps USAG will bring in the FIG scoring at all meets, therefore making it all the more understandable.

I can't decide yet whether or not I like the new scoring system.

On one hand, gymnasts are being rewarded for the difficulty that they do; where before someone could meet the basic requirments and still win because they had better execution than those with more difficulty.

However, now, gymnasts are doing more skills, and even if they fall they can win--which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Prior to the change, a gymnast's goal was to score a Perfect 10, now that isn't possible. I think the scoring system change was changed as a way of keeping up with the advances made in gymnastics (more difficult skills, etc).

USAG still uses the old system for Women's Artistic, however I think the Men are including the new system for some things---Refer to link in Audra's reply. I believe that everyone will eventually be using the new system.

We have been using the new scoring system in Quebec for all our meets. My oldest DD has a difficulty of 3.7 and therefore scores out of 13.7. It gets easier and easier to understand as I see it in practice.

My littlest scores out of 13, a difficulty of 3. It is taking a lot of parents and gymnasts a while to figure it all out. But, as we say at the gym, the one with the highest score wins, no matter whether it's out of 10 or 15.

I guess you are all still using the 10, so the Elite scene is very confusing still. Perhaps USAG will bring in the FIG scoring at all meets, therefore making it all the more understandable.
Wow . . . I sure hope USAG doesn't bring in the new scoring system of FIG. As a judge, the old one is adequate and enough I think. It's my opinion that this new system pretty much alienates everyone . . . even if you have a background in gymnastics it's very difficult to understand. The perfect 10 was something that spectators could relate to. I don't think the lay person will ever understand it much, and therefore, it's not as interesting or exciting to watch. I went to an elite level meet at WOGA and three quarters of the (paying) audience left WAY before the end of the meet. Not only is it less exciting, it's confusing to understand, and the judgments seem to take longer.

I definitely miss waiting for someone to get a Perfect 10!!

Okay, I checked out the link and it did clear it up a little. I still have a couple of questions though. Maybe someone can clear them up.

What is an Element Group Requirement? couldn't find an explanation of what the 5 groups are.

What about Vault. How do they determine the difficulty value. Does each Vault just have a value or are there parts to that as well?

I agree its alot harder to understand but I think I get it!
Does anybody acctuly know why they changed the scoring
system or was it something random for the sport!?
Anyway, I also find it unusual to see scores over 10 when
im used to seeing just the 9s and such. Oh well I might
get used to it I guess, oh well I cant change it!

I love the new scoring system. I think it encourages athletes to take risks and push themselves and the sport forward in ways that the old one didn't.

What the open-ended system means is that you're always rewarded for adding difficulty; by the old system, you make your routine hard enough for a 10.0 start value, and then that's it; there's no reason to add any more difficulty, no reason to push the boundaries, no reason to try anything new. By the new system, there is no cap, and thus no reason not to stop working for new skills and pushing the sport forward.

As it does add room for more difficulty it takes away from the artistry in women's gymnastics. I love to see the new tricks but they need to keep the dance in floor and beam.

I feel that it does add room for the dificulty, but if the gymnast is elite, they should also be able to demonstrate difficulty in artistry (dance on floor and beam). Sometimes, I'll watch a JO competition and see better artistry than I see at an elite competition, and I feel that it should be the other way around.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back