Coaches The other coach's opinion...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have been coaching team twice a week, one with another team level coach, and the other with the head team coach. We're all college age coaches. I like the head coach, but the other coach kinda worries me sometimes. She's vegan, and sometimes shares her sometimes extreme opinions and view points blatantly with the team girls... I definitely heard her say during snack last week "Candy gives you cancer." She did not elaborate or explain this, but I did see the wheels turning in some of the girl's heads. I'm totally okay if she wants to tell the girls about her views if they ask, but I don't think she keeps in mind how impressionable the gymnasts are, or how much of a role model she is to the girls.

On a couple of occasions she has also voiced her doubt about a drill I set up or the head coach assigns for us to do. For example, I was having one of our gymnasts who has her beam BWO semi-consistently do some BHS on the low beam, with spot. Not an extreme amount of up training or anything, but the gymnast, just playfully voicing her nervousness, called to the other coach across the gym "She's making me do BHS!" To which her response was "I see. I'm not really sure how I feel about that." She doesn't try to stop me or anything, but yet she voiced her doubt.

I know this coach won't be around forever as she will graduate from college in the next year or two, but I do think she will be around a lot this summer. Am I over analyzing? How would you guys be concerned too?

I think she's putting her credibility at risk when saying candy gives you cancer. So after that statement from her, how do you choose what to, and not to, believe. Don't get me wrong, candy beyond a teensie bit will lead to your ears shriveling....just kidding, but more than a bit of candy can cause problems. The only problem is, these kids know she's full of BS, at least on this issue.

Ask the head coach if the choice to work a floor beam bhs was reasonable, and be willing to hear and accept the answer either way. The head coach should then tell the other coach to keep her eyes on her own group, because that's exactly what she should be doing.

I have been coaching team twice a week, one with another team level coach, and the other with the head team coach. We're all college age coaches. I like the head coach, but the other coach kinda worries me sometimes. She's vegan, and sometimes shares her sometimes extreme opinions and view points blatantly with the team girls... I definitely heard her say during snack last week "Candy gives you cancer." She did not elaborate or explain this, but I did see the wheels turning in some of the girl's heads. I'm totally okay if she wants to tell the girls about her views if they ask, but I don't think she keeps in mind how impressionable the gymnasts are, or how much of a role model she is to the girls.

On a couple of occasions she has also voiced her doubt about a drill I set up or the head coach assigns for us to do. For example, I was having one of our gymnasts who has her beam BWO semi-consistently do some BHS on the low beam, with spot. Not an extreme amount of up training or anything, but the gymnast, just playfully voicing her nervousness, called to the other coach across the gym "She's making me do BHS!" To which her response was "I see. I'm not really sure how I feel about that." She doesn't try to stop me or anything, but yet she voiced her doubt.

I know this coach won't be around forever as she will graduate from college in the next year or two, but I do think she will be around a lot this summer. Am I over analyzing? How would you guys be concerned too?

bold #1= this coach is wrong

bold #2= you are right

Wow. In terms of her opinions and voicing them to the athletes I think there's definitely a line that is crossed.
I'm a big animal rights activist so I can give you a unique opinion on that point. I used to bring my binder into the gym with me and it had animal rights stickers on it. Some of my athletes noticed these and asked questions, them being young athletes I gave them what I thought was a reasonable response that was neither condescending nor dismissive but also tried to steer away from the topic. I did not want to lie to my athletes and as much as I am one to tell people all about animal rights, I coach children, and children don't need to hear about animal cruelty and slaughterhouses, etc., not now anyway. Informality and friendship-like relationships between athletes and coaches are great I think, but it's important to draw the line. Statements like the one she made are not only ridiculous, but have no place coming from a professional working with children.

As for the second, I think that's very hurtful to the dynamic. Coaches disagree, but not infront of their athletes if avoidable. A coach expressing doubt in another coach to an athlete is unprofessional and instills doubt and confusion in the athlete -who of course, needs to be able to trust their coach. If this continues, I would certainly mention it to the head coach.

Best of luck!

I hate it when coaches seem to "forget" that they are playing the role of role model with these incredibly impressionable children who view them as authority figures. I've coached with girls who dressed incredibly inappropriately (skin-tight, low cut tops they were "spilling" out of), chose to play music not appropriate for children, topics of conversation not suitable for little ones, etc. It's incredibly frustrating, especially when you are not in a position to say something or do not feel comfortable doing so. I think beyond teaching gymnastics, coaches have a responsibility to encourage healthy lifestyles but I see that as coming through a path of moderation. There are ways to encourage healthy snacks at practice but also let them know it's fine to have a cupcake for a birthday celebration or a post-meet ice cream. Telling them such absolutes can really scare kids!
As for coaches disagreeing, it happens but needs to be done respectfully. Talk to the coach privately (unless they are doing something that is a huge safety risk that needs to be confronted right then). Because when a fellow coach questions you in front of the children, your opinions are invalidated, even just slightly. I would talk to the HC if you feel comfortable and let them know you have some concerns about the way she is interacting with you and the gymnasts. Your concerns are reasonable and ones I think most HCs would want to know about, probably from you before they start getting calls from parents!
It's a rough situation and I'm sorry you're stuck in it, but I hope it gets better! Keep doing what you're doing! You seem like a great coach who really cares about your athletes and deserve to be respected.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back