WAG The ugly side of college gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This all makes me want to encourage my kids to academic scholarships (already what I encourage) and just doing club gymnastics!!! (My oldest is in 6th grade, so this isn't even something tgat we really discuss; YKWIM.)

Though, particularly with Penn State, I tend to believe the bad in regards to their athletic department. At this point, I don't know if I would allow my kids to do any sort of athletics for that school unless they have some sort of serious overhaul.

So, are these problems rampant in Men's College Gymnastics as well?? The only stories I am hearing are from women's programs.

"Breaking team rules" gives the school HUGE latitude.....there might be a "team rule" that you have to lose a certain amount of weight/be a certain size, not go out with certain people, keep a certain GPA, "volunteer" for X amount of extra conditioning etc etc ......and guess what? Off the team would go someone the coaches didn't want on there...

Remember, the school holds all the cards...
From what I am hearing from the coaches it's not that easy anymore. Sounds like tighter regulations are in place and pulling a scholarship now is going to be very difficult to do.

From what I am hearing from the coaches it's not that easy anymore. Sounds like tighter regulations are in place and pulling a scholarship now is going to be very difficult to do.

Well maybe the actual "pulling of the scholarship" might be more work for them, which will leave them with their old favorite of making someone's life a living hell so that they leave "on their own accord".....and if you want to hear a first person experience of something like this, read the articles by the Penn St gymnasts who all "left the team on their own" as well....and that would be why the Thompsons first recruiting class of 8 gymnasts set to graduate this year had exactly ZERO on their roster this year....

Well maybe the actual "pulling of the scholarship" might be more work for them, which will leave them with their old favorite of making someone's life a living hell so that they leave "on their own accord".....and if you want to hear a first person experience of something like this, read the articles by the Penn St gymnasts who all "left the team on their own" as well....and that would be why the Thompsons first recruiting class of 8 gymnasts set to graduate this year had exactly ZERO on their roster this year....
That's the counter-punch for coaches who now find it harder "to pull a scholarship." Abuse the athlete so the athlete leaves on their own accord backed up by compliant Athletic Directors. New NCAA rules never seem to solve the problem; they only create new ones.

I always really try to believe that there are three sides to any story- his, hers and the truth. That said, over my dead body will my kid go to/ compete at Penn State. Sorry, but there is WAY too much nasty stuff that we KNOW about at that school. I can't even fathom what we have NOT heard about and what was covered up. Yuck. That place just gives off nasty vibes.

Well, that bad for sure, no one is arguing that.

I always really try to believe that there are three sides to any story- his, hers and the truth. That said, over my dead body will my kid go to/ compete at Penn State. Sorry, but there is WAY too much nasty stuff that we KNOW about at that school. I can't even fathom what we have NOT heard about and what was covered up. Yuck. That place just gives off nasty vibes.

DITTO.

A wise coach told me once, there are waaaaaay more academic scholarships available to students than athletic ones........

It is also possible to go to college and pay for it! It's ok to be an average student and pay for college (community college, local school, etc). There is not a requirement to "win" an athletic scholarship or to "win high school" and get and academic scholarship to be successful in life.

I'm not attacking Munchkin3, just making a general statement. There is way too much pressure on kids to get scholarships and succeed at an incredibly high level at whatever they do (athletic, academic and even church). Ok I feel better now.

Great points! One doesn't need to get an athletic or academic scholarship to be successful in life or even go the traditional 4 year routes! My dd could have had a gymnastics scholarship but just the recruiting process showed her it was too much pressure. She didn't want huge loans so went to Community college for 2 years and 2 years at our highly regarded state university and will graduate with a 4.0.

It is also possible to go to college and pay for it! It's ok to be an average student and pay for college (community college, local school, etc). There is not a requirement to "win" an athletic scholarship or to "win high school" and get and academic scholarship to be successful in life.

I'm not attacking Munchkin3, just making a general statement. There is way too much pressure on kids to get scholarships and succeed at an incredibly high level at whatever they do (athletic, academic and even church). Ok I feel better now.
gargose- you hit my point on the head!!!
a parent once told me under her breath- her 11 th grade daughter was talking about a scholarship, and how much went into her obtaining one.......Mom say 'well she better get D1, after the 15k we've spent for the last 10 years in gymnastics!!!' :0
OK.......so instead of putting some money in a college fund for your kid, you will spend it ALL on a slim chance she well possible get a scholarship????? thats CRAZY!!!!

You can go to college, pay for it, and maybe even get lucky and do some gymnastics in college, maybe walk on, or Club.....so many options!!! Or Heck, join your local team and compete until they wont let you......

So Im with you!! that was my whole point about scholarships in general......if you want to try and get one, there are many more available in academics, not sports.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back