Welcome to our Gymnastics Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Video Game Thread Strikes Back

Geoffrey Taucer

Former Admin
Verified Coach
Coach
Proud Relative
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Former Gymnast
Judge
Club Owner
Fan
Jan 21, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Country
USA
So what's everybody else playing these days?

I recently played and loved Octopath Traveler; it's been a good 15 years since I enjoyed a JRPG this much. Visually stylish, stunning soundtrack, fascinating lore, loved it.

Thoroughly enjoyed Breath of the Wild, got all the shrines but not all the Korok seeds.

Still playing Starcraft 2 (just hit Diamond last week) and Smash Bros Melee/Project M/Icons: Legacy

.... and I'm currently watching (again) a playthrough of Horizon: Zero Dawn. I don't have my PS4 set up so I can't really play it right now, but even just watching it, I think it's one of the best games of the decade.

How about y'all?

Last edited:
Reactions: sun and txgymfan

Zivaah

Verified Coach
Verified Coach
Former Gymnast
Judge
Mar 17, 2017
Country
Germany
I just recently played all of the mass effect games with my boyfriend together (not Andromeda)! Storywise still the best game, I have ever played. And your profile pic is awesome ;) afterwards there was a huge post-ME depression, because we haven't found a game comparable to this one yet and the soundtrack still makes us emotional. Thalos principle was nice though and has a an awesome soundtrack.

Before our last ME run we played Divinity Orginal Sins and now started with WoW again after the Classic release. But right now, I have no time to play anything anymore. Here and there one round of Civilization Vl.

Empowered

Proud Parent
Mar 19, 2009
Here
Country
USA
My husband and I have fallen down the classic wow hole. We both played when the game was originally released and had missed the difficulty that slowly fell away with each retail expansion.

Reactions: GymDadWA

Geoffrey Taucer

Former Admin
Verified Coach
Coach
Proud Relative
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Former Gymnast
Judge
Club Owner
Fan
Jan 21, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Country
USA
I just recently played all of the mass effect games with my boyfriend together (not Andromeda)! Storywise still the best game, I have ever played. And your profile pic is awesome ;) afterwards there was a huge post-ME depression, because we haven't found a game comparable to this one yet and the soundtrack still makes us emotional. Thalos principle was nice though and has a an awesome soundtrack.
I LOVED the ME trilogy (hence the avatar). I've played through the whole thing probably at least six times (and have decided that Shepard is canonically female, and Garrus is canonically her boyfriend).

If you're looking for another game with a strong story, good character development, and extensive lore, give Horizon a try; for me at least, it scratched the same itch as the ME trilogy.

Zivaah

Verified Coach
Verified Coach
Former Gymnast
Judge
Mar 17, 2017
Country
Germany
I LOVED the ME trilogy (hence the avatar). I've played through the whole thing probably at least six times (and have decided that Shepard is canonically female, and Garrus is canonically her boyfriend).

If you're looking for another game with a strong story, good character development, and extensive lore, give Horizon a try; for me at least, it scratched the same itch as the ME trilogy.
Sorry not sorry, but Shepard is a male and Liara is his girlfriend (occasionally getting killed by Morinth). My Shep always falls in love with Asari :D. - And sorry, Ashley is dying everytime in Virmire. I never warmed up with her.

I looked at the trailer for Horizon, was hyped and then... what a pitty just for PS4. But it will maybe come for PC next year.

moogacat

Proud Parent
Nov 1, 2018
Country
USA
Since you so charitably started a thread :):

My husband and daughter bond primarily through gaming. Their current fave is Red Dead Redemption 2, which they've been playing since last Christmas. They still get enjoyment out of it even though they've "finished" the game, so to speak, but I'd love to get them another game that they could enjoy together. Any ideas about a reasonably similar game (not the first RDR, which they aren't interested in)?

Reactions: txgymfan

Geoffrey Taucer

Former Admin
Verified Coach
Coach
Proud Relative
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Former Gymnast
Judge
Club Owner
Fan
Jan 21, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Country
USA
Since you so charitably started a thread :):

My husband and daughter bond primarily through gaming. Their current fave is Red Dead Redemption 2, which they've been playing since last Christmas. They still get enjoyment out of it even though they've "finished" the game, so to speak, but I'd love to get them another game that they could enjoy together. Any ideas about a reasonably similar game (not the first RDR, which they aren't interested in)?
I haven't played RDR2, but most of my friends who love that game also love Breath of the Wild, so maybe check that one out?

Sorry not sorry, but Shepard is a male and Liara is his girlfriend (occasionally getting killed by Morinth). My Shep always falls in love with Asari :D. - And sorry, Ashley is dying everytime in Virmire. I never warmed up with her.
I'm with you on saving Kaidan over Ashley on Virmire.

If, hypothetically, my Shepard were male, he would definitely go for Tali

Last edited:

sun

Verified Coach
Verified Coach
Coach
Gymnast
Former Gymnast
Jun 29, 2017
Country
USA
Semi-retired from playing competitive Melee, I pretty much just practice tech skill once a week or so on 20XX or UnclePunch.
I've really been enjoying watching my roommate practice and learn the game. He's ranked #1 in Berkeley and just got ranked #19 in northern california :)

I just started playing a game called Yakuza 0, and it's maybe one of the best single-player games I've played in the last 5 years

Reactions: Geoffrey Taucer

Geoffrey Taucer

Former Admin
Verified Coach
Coach
Proud Relative
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Former Gymnast
Judge
Club Owner
Fan
Jan 21, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Country
USA
Semi-retired from playing competitive Melee, I pretty much just practice tech skill once a week or so on 20XX or UnclePunch.
I've really been enjoying watching my roommate practice and learn the game. He's ranked #1 in Berkeley and just got ranked #19 in northern california :)

I just started playing a game called Yakuza 0, and it's maybe one of the best single-player games I've played in the last 5 years
Who's your roomie? Anybody I've heard of?

I go to tourneys at Xanadu sporadically (like, a couple times a year), and I play on netplay with my brother, but that's about it.

Last edited:

sun

Verified Coach
Verified Coach
Coach
Gymnast
Former Gymnast
Jun 29, 2017
Country
USA
His tag is "theunabletable", he hasn't traveled much, but he's beaten Nintendude, Homemadewaffles, Kevbot, Umarth, Azusa, Darrel, pretty much everyone in the area haha.

Geoffrey Taucer

Former Admin
Verified Coach
Coach
Proud Relative
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Former Gymnast
Judge
Club Owner
Fan
Jan 21, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Country
USA
His tag is "theunabletable", he hasn't traveled much, but he's beaten Nintendude, Homemadewaffles, Kevbot, Umarth, Azusa, Darrel, pretty much everyone in the area haha.

So he's the puff? That rest was pretty clutch

sun

Verified Coach
Verified Coach
Coach
Gymnast
Former Gymnast
Jun 29, 2017
Country
USA
Yeah, he plays only puff. hoping he does really well at next Genesis :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Geoffrey Taucer Off Topic 14
JBS Off Topic 0
gymnast695 The Chalk Bucket 13