Coaches THERE’S NO NEED TO YELL WHEN YOU’RE THE ONE WITH THE GUN

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Good points. I'm not a yeller, it takes a lot to get me to raise my voice, but the second I take on a slightly more stern tone, my girls know I mean business. No yelling necessary. In fact, I think they respond better because it happens so infrequently. This is also usually followed by praise when their behavior has improved so they don't spend the rest of the practice feeling as though I dislike them or am mad at them.
Though I also think there are far more damaging coaching methods than yelling- well, depending on what is being yelled. Unkind words are still unking regardless of volume. One of my most damaging times in the gym was a coach who ignored me.

There's also a big difference between yelling and projecting. :) I am naturally loud, and my voice gets heard. Some of my classes/training groups are larger than others, and more fidgety than others. Add a large, crowded gym and sometimes, with certain groups, it is necessary for me to be quite loud to be heard and understood by the gymnasts. :) I do not belittle them but I can see where if you take the rest out of the equation, it would seem as if I'm yelling at the kids, not simply telling them instructions or corrections in a loud voice... I am equally loud or louder when I get excited over something they are doing well though!!! :)

Reactions: COz
In agreement with Molly- my former coach who flat out ignored me and wouldn't allow me to train with the group was much more damaging in that way, than she ever was when she screamed at me.
However... the yelling was pretty awful also, and as a coach I would NEVER yell at my kids in a belittling way... I am LOUD though and project. They know I've lost my patience when I whisper.

I think an interesting point of the article is the power in what you say. Word choice is incredible. For the first few months of team, I lead end of practice stretching and then assign girls to lead for the day. The directions they give are the exact words I use. My first season, I was shocked to hear the words I use because they weren't words I thought about, they were just boring directions. There's a lot of power in choosing words carefully.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back