Parents There is life after gymnastics....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

M23K's

I haven't posted in forever but some may remember that my daughter had worked really hard, after taking a year off, to get back to where she left off and once she did that we had to pull her out due to financial reasons. I was heartbroken for her and myself. I loved watching her at practices. I also loved watching her kick butt at meets.....okay...not nice to say but you all know you love it too!!!!

Well....It's 4 1/2 months later and all is well. I love having our evenings free and having DD around. I never in a million years thought I would feel this way but I prefer life without gymnastics. DD is doing great too. We're in a position now that she could go back but she says she doesn't want to. She wants to be a part of school activities and home life.

I know it can be heartbreaking when they quit but I just wanted to let anyone struggling with this know that it really does get better.

So happy to hear from you. It is wonderful to hear about life from the other side.

I think we get so wrapped up in gym, that we sometimes forget that there is a life out there that doesn't involve sports that is fun and nurturing.

Glad your DD is happy and her life is the way she wants it to be.:)

Glad to hear! We are going thru a " quitting " situation here as well. Nice to know everyone is doing fine AG (after gym) ! Good luck!

We have some of dd's friends who have given up gym and say the same thing. After the initial shock they really enjoy life AG - kinda makes me jealous sometimes actually. Glad to hear you and your dd are doing well :)

Glad to hear that all is well with you guys! I definitely think that it would be hard for DD, but we would immerse her in other activities and hope for the best. Hopefully when gymnastics is over for her, it will be her choice, not financial related, injury related, so that will help to make it less sad I think.

Enjoy all your newfound freedom! :D

Glad you are enjoying your time after gym. At least your DD still has the memories. Glad that you both are happy.

Thanks so much for the update:). So nice to hear that you, your family & most importantly your DD have found life so enjoyable AG. DD is level 7 this year but is feeling the pull of school activities calling her. I just follow her lead...it is her life after all & I want it to be happy one for her. It's nice to hear how things work out for others....very encouraging :). Please keep us updated. My best to all of you!

Welcome back! It's nice to get updates and it sounds like you all are doing well with life after gym. It's great that she is finding things to do to keep her busy. DH & I talk all the time about the financial stress of gymnastics & since our assessment fees went up things are even tighter. There are so many wonderful sports, clubs & activities thru school though I know my DD would find happiness outside gym life should that day come for us too! Please keep us updated & come back again!

Glad it's working out for you. There is a group of us on another thread chatting about that very same thing. Once a gymmie finds herself, she is very happy, and most of the time will say happier! And so are the moms. But I admit, I had a harder time dealing with it than my dd- Yeah I loved the kicking butt part too! I miss that! My dd has moved along to other sports, but still finds time to do gymnastics a few hours a week so we still get our fix. High school presents a whole new set of priorities. I haven't noticed anyone on here saying anything about how they tend to get interested in.....should I say it?....BOYS! Yeah, these former gymnasts are cute as can be, and they are all perfectly fit and confident, and it takes about a split second for the boys to notice them. My dd has many that have taken notice, and luckily, she is confident enough to blow most of them off. So she's having fun, going out to the football games, going shopping at the mall with her friends (it sure beats Friday nights in the gym) and Homecoming is coming up soon. She is all excited and hoping someone asks her. We'll see how it goes. I'm glad your dd is enjoying it! Mine is sure having fun!

All my dd's friends are so boy crazy right now !! Luckily she is too wrapped up in gym right now so it buys me a little more time :p

We, too, are enjoying life after gymnastics. My dd was able to get lead roles in two plays this summer, was able to enter a local singing competition and go on a family vacation again, and is now involved in Bible quizzing, riding lessons, and soccer. She loves being able to do the various activities and we have much more time as a family. I feel tremendous regret/guilt/jealousy whenever we see results from her former gyms, with girls winning meets who were originally "lower on the scoring scale" than dd, and she occasionally wonders what it would be like to still compete, but she shows less regret than I do, so I keep quiet.

Overall it was a worthwhile decision for our family. Because I cannot know what her life would have been like if she had continued, I cannot say it was the best decision -- but I can say that it is turning out well. Good luck to all facing similar choices.

You're a' preachin' to the chior, Sterlingdad!

For dd1, leaving the gym didn't mean the end to her 12 hour days. Except now, the days are 6-6, not 8-8. She has activities before school and sports after. She's got a job at the gym working with the boy's coach, too. It's a very full life and she's loving it.

What I like best, though, is that school activities have seasons. So, when fall sports end in November, there's a nice, healthy break between them and spring sports. Her days will go 6-3, and she'll get some down time. No more wrapping up the season and marching right into the prep for the next season. I also like the regulations with high school sports. Band is a graded activity. So, if band and sports have a conflict, the school says she goes to band. Period. Back at the gym, the optionals coach was not pleased with any kind of conflict at all. Finally, I like eating together, at the table, rather than in the car.

And, yeah, Gymnomore, there are boys. We've already had homecoming and there was a date. Personally, I'm glad to see it. Some experience with boys, while she's home under mom's and dad's watchful eyes is a good thing. And, she is a sophomore--more than old enough to be interested in such things.

Dd2 is loving her time to play, as she is not the kind of person who has ever enjoyed having every minute scheduled. She went out with the neighbor kids after school yesterday instead of going right to practice. How nice. With church and piano lessons and fencing and a rec class at the gym, she's more than busy enough.

Put us down as another family who, surprisingly, is much happier without the stress of the gym.

Thanks livinatthegym- I agree with everything you said. You're right about the seasonal thing too. It's so nice to wrap up one season at a time, take a little rest and then start something else. So glad to hear there are boys at your house too. I never hear about boys on this web site and how much they can distract them. Not that there's anything wrong with that- I was 15 once too! My dd loves having the time to spend with all of her friends, and yes, including the boys ha ha. Sterlingdad, I also have had moments that it bothers me when I talk to other moms and I hear about those "lower on the scoring scale" coming through and winning meets. I'm glad you said it first, but now that you have, I'm going to jump right on that bandwagon with you and say, yes, I admit it, I'm jealous too. But the part that makes me really feel guilty is that little dd doesn't even ask about meet scores. All she knows is that her friends are still in the gym and she has moved on to what makes her happier.

Hi All! We too are without gym for 5 months. DD doesn't miss it at all. She does Cheerleading, & Track (things she did while in gymnastics) , and now she is going to start diving next month. She has become an altar server for the church and is spending alot of time with friends, shopping, volunteering at school etc. My DD is only 13 , so no boyfriends yet - and I don't want them! , but she did have her first boy girl party at our house where we had 30 kids for her birthday. I must be crazy!:eek: She is truly loving life!

Hi All! We too are without gym for 5 months. DD doesn't miss it at all. She does Cheerleading, & Track (things she did while in gymnastics) , and now she is going to start diving next month. She has become an altar server for the church and is spending alot of time with friends, shopping, volunteering at school etc. My DD is only 13 , so no boyfriends yet - and I don't want them! , but she did have her first boy girl party at our house where we had 30 kids for her birthday. I must be crazy!:eek: She is truly loving life!

Hi DEMom! Haven't heard from you in awhile. Glad to hear you and dd are doing well and finding things to do. Sounds like you are involved in the same activities that we are. So glad you still check in on the Chalk Bucket every now and then. Take care!

So nice you hear that your DD is thriving AG:) Thanks for the update. Best wishes to you & your family!

We, too, are enjoying life after gymnastics. My dd was able to get lead roles in two plays this summer, was able to enter a local singing competition and go on a family vacation again, and is now involved in Bible quizzing, riding lessons, and soccer. She loves being able to do the various activities and we have much more time as a family. I feel tremendous regret/guilt/jealousy whenever we see results from her former gyms, with girls winning meets who were originally "lower on the scoring scale" than dd, and she occasionally wonders what it would be like to still compete, but she shows less regret than I do, so I keep quiet.

Overall it was a worthwhile decision for our family. Because I cannot know what her life would have been like if she had continued, I cannot say it was the best decision -- but I can say that it is turning out well. Good luck to all facing similar choices.
Thanks for the update Sterlingdad. And for putting into words how many parents must feel upon their DD leaving the sport. Many mixed emotions I suppose. Sounds like your DD made the "right" decision in her eyes. She is soaring on! That's so great for her! My best you all. Please continue to update us on her new endeavors:)

Hi DEMom! Haven't heard from you in awhile. Glad to hear you and dd are doing well and finding things to do. Sounds like you are involved in the same activities that we are. So glad you still check in on the Chalk Bucket every now and then. Take care!

Hi gymnomore. I will email soon, I got a job. Yippppeeee! I started this week. Only thing is - it's an hour drive each way on a good day which is a little tough. DH is stepping up. I wasn't off long - only 5 1/2 weeks. I'm glad we don't have to worry about gym anymore. As background, I got laid off in August- got a severence etc. but still a very stressful time and it is amazing how missing gym gets replaced real fast with real life worries. Take Care.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back