Thigh bone out of the acetabulum while being in gymnastics split?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

Kapsoq

Hello every one!

My friend told me that when somebody is doing gymnastics split the femoral head is getting out from the acetabulum, more or less like this:

Is it true?

To be more precise I mean a split exactly like this one:

I'm not a medic or gymnast, I don't even know English well so please use simple language. :)
Thanks!

Eeew!

I really cant help you - am trying to get rid of mental picture now!

I've posted same question on medical forum and I received some answers. Take a look:
Thigh bone out of the acetabulum while being in split?

Looks like there's nothing to worry about.
smile.gif

Check out here as well Thigh bone out of the acetabulum while being in gymnastics split? - International Gymnast Online Forum .

I'm pretty sure the femoral head doesn't come out because it is fully in a socket. The picture is just showing a cross-section. Sometimes babies are born with their hips out of the socket and they have to break them to put them in the socket and then cast them. They can't just come out and go back in all the time. That would do serious damage. They just rotate in the hip socket.

According to my brother (who is in med school, and never lets me forget it) The femoral bone become dislocated when doing this kind of split. But for a young healthy flexible gymnast it should not break. He said that when splits are pushed (mainly on panel mats) to get them further its possible to dislocate the ball in socket joint. Other things can also explain the break or dislocation Arthritis , Weakened bones from Anorexia or a number of other physical problem found in people. A coach pushing a split for max result could also result in a break. Well that’s what he said hope it helps

Ew. I don't think the socket comes out when you do center splits. I've had my socket pop out once and doing the splits does not feel like the socket coming out. I think it's more like, the hip rotates and how far you can split depends on your hamstring and adductor (and whatever other surrounding muscles) flexibility. No offense, but the hip coming out of the socket thing sounds like BS. If the hip is a ball socket, you'd think it could swing out to the side. Ballet dancers utilize an outward rotation in the hips (turnout) all the time. If the sockets came out, I don't they'd be able to move let alone dance. And I think people who move their bodies lots actually figure out more than people who just sit and analyze anatomical illustrations.

According to my brother (who is in med school, and never lets me forget it) The femoral bone become dislocated when doing this kind of split. But for a young healthy flexible gymnast it should not break. He said that when splits are pushed (mainly on panel mats) to get them further its possible to dislocate the ball in socket joint. Other things can also explain the break or dislocation Arthritis , Weakened bones from Anorexia or a number of other physical problem found in people. A coach pushing a split for max result could also result in a break. Well that’s what he said hope it helps
Does your brother have any proof for the statement? Becouse some people already told me that nothing like this happens so your brother is the first who claims something else. Mayby any literature or exploration? Could you ask him from where he knows that?
Thanks anyway.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back